none
sync ssrs visual studio project with ssrs server - alm

Question

• Hello everybody.

To manage ssrs reports development i use tfs - it works nicely - deploy, checkin... - all the alm options.

But i want to remain the option for users to change the reports from report builder- so sometimes i need to sync ssrs server folder back to local vs workspace folder - is there a practice for something like that.

Thanks in advance.

Sergey Vdovin

Tuesday, January 14, 2014 5:10 PM

Answers

All replies

• Kevin, can you just explain, why do you think the question it is more related to SSRS than to SSDT while moving the thread - as i see the sync function should work like database compare feature of ssdt but for ssrs objects inside the project and ssrs store.

Anyway it is just strange argument - "they are related" without disclosing your thoughts on the relation - for me the question is much more related to ssdt as far as alm functions currently implemented there.

Sergey Vdovin

Wednesday, January 15, 2014 3:51 AM
  • Hi Sergey,

If I understand correctly, you want to remain all the ALM options in Report Builder. While from the document, we can know that Report Builder is used to create sophisticated, consistently formatted reports, and adding sparklines, bar charts, and indicators to reports when use it to create and customize TFS reports.

As per my understanding, Report Builder is a designed tool that we can use the existed features, but can’t add other features to it. In this scenario, I think it cannot achieve your requirement by using Report Builder.

If you have any other questions, I suggest that you can post the question to the Team Foundation Server forum at http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/home?forum=tfsgeneral. It is appropriate and more experts will assist you. 

Thanks, 
    Katherine Xiong

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here.

Katherine Xiong
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, January 15, 2014 2:10 PM
  • Hey, Katherine.

I'm talking about alm support for ssrs projects while uising report builder for editing, you are talking about ssrs reports for tfs data - stop joking )

Sergey Vdovin

Wednesday, January 15, 2014 2:19 PM
  • OK workaround is to map sharepoint library to network drive - after that you can compare folders in source control and sharepoint - it is a  poor workaround but it works right now.

Now have another problem:

vs 2012 update4

ssdt october update

sql serever 2012 client tools sp1 cu7

problem is with report preview in visual studio:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/a02f3ebb-cf52-4e76-83a7-073b25b74448/trying-to-preview-an-ssrs-report-from-vs?forum=vsreportcontrols

just the message is slightly diffrent:

An error occurred during local report processing. Error in application. The given path's format is not supported.

Workarounds from

https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/details/543755/fiserv-tap-checking-it-rdl-source-sets-output-folder-to-read-only

seems to be not working

any thoughts?

Sergey Vdovin

• Marked as answer by Evolex Tuesday, January 21, 2014 11:43 AM
    Wednesday, January 15, 2014 5:58 PM
  • Hi Sergey,

Thank you for your question.

I am trying to involve someone more familiar with this topic for a further look at this issue. Sometime delay might be expected from the job transferring. Your patience is greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your understanding and support.

Regards,
    Katherine Xiong

Katherine Xiong
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, January 16, 2014 5:51 AM
  • Hi, Katherine

and i'm still pretty sure both of the questions are related more to ssdt/visual studio - i wrote about it in the second post of this thread - what do you think - it seems that Kevin just mooving the topics around and not really writing/explaining.

Sergey Vdovin

Thursday, January 16, 2014 6:36 AM
  • Hi Sergey,

I am Vicky who mainly support ALM related cases. SSRS support engineers involve me to help you resolve your issue.

Based on your description, it seems that you would like to integrate Report Builder with TFS so that you can keep these modified reports in TFS Version Control, and do some check-in, check out and compare operations etc. If so, I am afraid Report Builder does not support it currently. You can submit a feature request about it on the Microsoft UserVoice site here: http://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio/category/53187-sql-bi-tools-srs-ssis-ssas-  

However, here is a workaround which may help you.

1). Firstly, you need to install TFS Power Tool (suppose you are using TFS2012) which provides you Windows Shell Extension. With this extension, you can perform many source control operations without having to run Visual Studio or Team Foundation command-line tools.

Once you installed TFS Power Tool successfully, you will have the Team Foundation Sever option shown in the context menu when you do right-click in the workspace folder in the Windows Explorer. (Please note that, the Team Foundation Sever option is only available in the workspace folder in the Windows Explorer. In other words, if you right click on a normal folder, you will not get it.) See this screen shot:

2). Then add these Report files to TFS Version Control, and get them to the local workspace.

3). In the local workspace folder, check the report file out with the Check Out for Edit option just like my screen shot shows above. Now, you can edit it in the Report Builder.

4). After you make some modifications in the Report Builder, you can check in the file back to TFS Version Control in the workspace folder.

Is the workaround fulfill your requirement? And please back if you have anything unclear on working with TFS.

Thanks.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, January 16, 2014 10:55 AM
  • Hey, Vicky

You do propose to include sharepoint folder to tfs workspace? - i just do not know if it is a really working scenario.

The main missing feature is to COMPARE ssrs store and tfs workspace folder.

Sergey Vdovin

Thursday, January 16, 2014 12:05 PM
  • Hi Sergey,

Please offer me more information so that I can better understand your scenario:

1). Is your Reporting Service in SharePoint Integration mode or Native mode?
    2). If your Reporting Service in SharePoint Integration mode, do you store these .rdl files in the SharePoint Library?
    3). From your last reply, you said the main missing feature is to "Compare ssrs store and tfs workspace folder", do you mean you want to compare SharePoint Library which stores .rdl files with tfs workspace folder?

Thanks.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Friday, January 17, 2014 3:51 AM
  • Hey, Vicky.

1. Sahepoint Mode

2. Yes (if you ask - please explain the scenario for sharepoint mode with rdl files outside sharepoint library)

3. Yes

Sergey Vdovin

Friday, January 17, 2014 5:02 AM
  • Hi Sergey,

Thank you for your clarification. However, I don’t quite understand why you would like to compare SharePoint Library with TFS version folder. As per my experience, in the TFS workspace folder you can get version history of a version controlled file; while in the SharePoint Library, you will always get the latest deployed report file. So what is your main purpose to compare these two folders, do you mean you want to check whether new checked in reports are deployed to the SharePoint Library or not?

I suppose maybe what you want is: you can connect to TFS system directly in Report Builder, so that you can do version control operations (check-ins or check-outs); then deploy the report to the SharePoint Library. If my understanding is correct, just as I mentioned above: currently, it is not supported to connect to TFS in the Report Builder. You can use my approach mentioned above to do the version control operations.  

Also, as you know that Report Builder is a tool which can only work on one single file instead of a project; while ALM is short for “Application Lifecycle Management” which is used for an application’s developing process (which contains plan, design, tracking, developing, build, deploy, testing and etc.), all operations target to an application. So, you can’t use TFS to deploy one single report file which is edited in the Report Builder.

In conclusion, one possible workaround for you is that you can save all .rdl files in TFS workspace folder for version control purpose (check in, check out with the Windows Shell Extension), and you can use Report Builder to edit these report files. Then use Report Builder to deploy the .rdl file to SharePoint Library.

Hope it helps.

Thanks.

Friday, January 17, 2014 7:41 AM
  • Hey, Vicky

what is here (1 post):

"But i want to remain the option for users to change the reports from report builder- so sometimes i need to sync ssrs server folder back to local vs workspace folder"

leads you to

"I don’t quite understand why you would like to compare SharePoint Library with TFS version folder"

Sergey Vdovin

Friday, January 17, 2014 7:49 AM
  • Hi Sergey,

so sometimes i need to sync ssrs server folder back to local vs workspace folder
    >> So, you now in the procedure to add report files which are in the SharePoint Library to TFS version control system? (You are stuck here because you can't check in files in the Report Builder).

If so, I am afraid you have to first download these online reports to the local folder, then add them to TFS version control. 

Thanks.

Friday, January 17, 2014 8:14 AM
  • I do not want check in from report builder.

Ok i cannot spend time more on this - let's just stop this (i do think useless) conversation.

What can you tell on this problem?:

Now have another problem:

vs 2012 update4

ssdt october update

sql serever 2012 client tools sp1 cu7

problem is with report preview in visual studio:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/a02f3ebb-cf52-4e76-83a7-073b25b74448/trying-to-preview-an-ssrs-report-from-vs?forum=vsreportcontrols

just the message is slightly diffrent:

An error occurred during local report processing. Error in application. The given path's format is not supported.

Workarounds from

https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/details/543755/fiserv-tap-checking-it-rdl-source-sets-output-folder-to-read-only

seems to be not working

any thoughts?

Sergey Vdovin

Friday, January 17, 2014 8:20 AM