none
Questions on MSXML 6.0 SP3

Question

• Hello everyone,

I hope someone can answear some of my questions. I'm working on a project with the goal to read and write XML files. I intend to use MSXML 6. I have the free choice to use C, C++ or VB6. The final solution should work on all Windows operating system starting from XP SP3.
    My questions are:
    - Is there a newer version of the MSXML 6.0 SDK? Preferably with SP3. The last version I could find was from 2005. But since MSXML 6.0 SP3 was released with Windows 7 I'd prefer to use at least SP2 (released with Vista, also available on XP).
    - Is MSXML 6.0 SP3 downwards compatible with MSXML 6.0 SP2? It's pretty difficult to find informations on "newer" releases of the DLL.
    - Does anyone know where to find more informations on MSXML 6.0 SP3? Most informations on MSDN are on SP1 or lower.
    - Can I use MSXML 6.0 SP3 on Windows XP?
    - Is there and Windows Installer with MSXML 6.0 SP3 or SP2 available? All I could find was the installer with SP1 or lower.

I know these are pretty specific questions, but as I wrote before, it's pretty hard to find informations on the newer release, which is pretty sad because MSXML 6.0 is a very neat package.
    I tried to find my informations on microsoft.com, msdn.net, bing.com and google.de(/.com). Maybe I have overlooked some nice source of information. I was also reading alot in the MSXML section on MSDN, but there weren't any informations about SP!/SP2/SP3...
    Link: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms763742%28VS.85%29.aspx

I hope someone can help me answear my questions. Help is really appreciated.

Yours sincerely,
    Skalli
    Thursday, November 26, 2009 11:41 AM

Answers

• Hi Skalli,

Please check the answers inline:

- Is there a newer version of the MSXML 6.0 SDK? Preferably with SP3. The last version I could find was from 2005. But since MSXML 6.0 SP3 was released with Windows 7 I'd prefer to use at least SP2 (released with Vista, also available on XP).

Since MSXML is a COM component and the interface hasn't been changed, the SDKs should be backward compatible, e.g. you can build your project wiht the SDK comes with 2005, it should be able to run in Win7. The binary built by SDK bundled with Visual Studio 2008 can also run in WinXP SP3. One thing here is that MSXML is in-the-box of WinXP SP3, Vista and Win7, so there is no need to explicitly announce a 'MSXML6 SP3'. Just take MSXML6 as a component inside Windows :-)

- Is MSXML 6.0 SP3 downwards compatible with MSXML 6.0 SP2? It's pretty difficult to find informations on "newer" releases of the DLL.

There is no SP3, it is just MSXML6 with Win7 :-)

- Does anyone know where to find more informations on MSXML 6.0 SP3? Most informations on MSDN are on SP1 or lower.

No, please use the MSXML6 in WinXP SP3. In-the-box means that you don't have to worry about deployment.

- Is there and Windows Installer with MSXML 6.0 SP3 or SP2 available? All I could find was the installer with SP1 or lower.

Nope.
    • Marked as answer by Skalli Friday, November 27, 2009 10:11 AM
    Friday, November 27, 2009 5:29 AM

All replies

• Hi Skalli,

Please check the answers inline:

Since MSXML is a COM component and the interface hasn't been changed, the SDKs should be backward compatible, e.g. you can build your project wiht the SDK comes with 2005, it should be able to run in Win7. The binary built by SDK bundled with Visual Studio 2008 can also run in WinXP SP3. One thing here is that MSXML is in-the-box of WinXP SP3, Vista and Win7, so there is no need to explicitly announce a 'MSXML6 SP3'. Just take MSXML6 as a component inside Windows :-)

No, please use the MSXML6 in WinXP SP3. In-the-box means that you don't have to worry about deployment.

Nope.
    • Marked as answer by Skalli Friday, November 27, 2009 10:11 AM
    Friday, November 27, 2009 5:29 AM
  • Well, that was very helpful indeed.
    Thank you very much. I had hoped it was this way, but I was unsure because programs that use older versions of MSXML have to register the use of the DLL in the registry. But you are right, if the DLL is now onboard since Win XP SPx I can just assume it's available there. The latest Windows Update fixed two issues with MSXML today. It stated that "This component can not be removed" too.
    It's also important to know that the COM interface hasn't changed since 2005.

I wrote the stuff with Version SP3 of the DLL because the properties said so. But I'm glad I can just use the DLL as MSXML6. :) This makes work a lot easier.

Greetings,
    Skalli
    Friday, November 27, 2009 10:11 AM
  • For a list of Microsoft XML Parser (MSXML) versions, visit this page:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/269238

Thursday, March 17, 2011 6:48 PM