Using for-loop to create a multiplication table (richtextbox)

Question

• Hello all,

I am at my wit end here, have been wrestling with this problem for 4 hours but unable to squeeze out a proper line of code to excecute the design result. Please help me

Exercise:

Generate a multiplication table (sample below) up to 15 x 15, using two for-loop (one inside the other) to generate the products.

- If the product is divisible by 6 display an asterisk (*) instead of the number (use the % operator and compare result with zero)

- initially get one for-loop working to calculate a single row, then wrap it inside another.

The header row "1 2 3 4 5..." can be a fixed string - don't have to created using for loop

MUST use TWO for-loops, one inside the other to calculate the product

MULTIPLICATION TABLE
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    1 1 2 3 4 5 6
    2 2 4 6 8 10 12
    3 3 6 9 12 15 18
    4 4 8 12 16 20 24

I only manage to do the following so far:

private void button1_Click(object sender, EventArgs e)

{

for (int row = 1; row <= 15; row++)

{

richTextBox1.AppendText(Convert.ToString(row) + "\t");       

Which produced the 1 line of row, from 1 to 15

Please help, I know I have to declare 2 or more of the following (int table; or int x, ySmile then assign some value but I couldn't figure out how

Thanks a lot in advance

Thursday, April 17, 2008 5:53 AM

Answers

• Whirlwind,

you are on the right track. The first step is to add another for loop nested within the first one.

Something like this:

for (int row = 1; row <= 15; row++) {

for (int col = 1; col <= 15; col++) {

int product = row * col;

richTextBox1.AppendText (string.Format ("{0}\t", product));

}

richTextBox1.AppendText ("\n");

}

From here you will have to check the divisibility, add the row and colum header etc, but this should be a leg-up

Good luck

--mc

Thursday, April 17, 2008 10:39 PM
  • In reverse order:

string is the same as String (actually, System.String). It is not a different type, it's just an alias provided by the C# compiler for cosmetic reasons. The same holds for int (System.Int32), float (System.Single), double (System.Double) and several others.

For this reason, string.Format() is exactly the same as String.Format() (or System.String.Format()); which of the two you should use is largely a matter of personal taste: I prefer to use the alias for consistency, but that's really up to you.

string.Format, as other methods (Console.WriteLine, StringBuilder.AppendFormat and a few others) requires that you provide a format string and a variable number of values. Your format string must contain placeholders for the values which will be automatically converted to string and will be numbered starting from "0".

For instance:

string result = string.Format ("Hello {0}, today it's {1}", "Whirlwind", "Friday");

would produce the string "Hello Whirlwind, today it's Friday"

Each placeholder can also contain the same formatting you can provide with the ToString method, so you can write:

string result = string.Format ("This is year {0:yyyy}", DateTime.Now);

would produce the string "This is year 2008".

There's a lot more about formatting, but it would be too much to write here... you will find plenty of information in the documentation of string.Format() and its links.

HTH

--mc

Friday, April 18, 2008 5:37 PM

All replies

• Whirlwind,

you are on the right track. The first step is to add another for loop nested within the first one.

Something like this:

for (int row = 1; row <= 15; row++) {

for (int col = 1; col <= 15; col++) {

int product = row * col;

richTextBox1.AppendText (string.Format ("{0}\t", product));

}

richTextBox1.AppendText ("\n");

}

From here you will have to check the divisibility, add the row and colum header etc, but this should be a leg-up

Good luck

--mc

Thursday, April 17, 2008 10:39 PM
  • Thank you Mario for your help.

That clear a few things for me. But I still have a few questions to ask: 

Would you please explain what the {0} meant?

Is

string.Format

the same as

Convert.ToString

?

Friday, April 18, 2008 4:58 AM
  • also, what is the different between

string.Format

and

String.Format

Or only one of the above combination applied to this case?

Friday, April 18, 2008 5:21 AM
  • In reverse order:

string is the same as String (actually, System.String). It is not a different type, it's just an alias provided by the C# compiler for cosmetic reasons. The same holds for int (System.Int32), float (System.Single), double (System.Double) and several others.

For this reason, string.Format() is exactly the same as String.Format() (or System.String.Format()); which of the two you should use is largely a matter of personal taste: I prefer to use the alias for consistency, but that's really up to you.

string.Format, as other methods (Console.WriteLine, StringBuilder.AppendFormat and a few others) requires that you provide a format string and a variable number of values. Your format string must contain placeholders for the values which will be automatically converted to string and will be numbered starting from "0".

For instance:

string result = string.Format ("Hello {0}, today it's {1}", "Whirlwind", "Friday");

would produce the string "Hello Whirlwind, today it's Friday"

Each placeholder can also contain the same formatting you can provide with the ToString method, so you can write:

string result = string.Format ("This is year {0:yyyy}", DateTime.Now);

would produce the string "This is year 2008".

There's a lot more about formatting, but it would be too much to write here... you will find plenty of information in the documentation of string.Format() and its links.

HTH

--mc

Friday, April 18, 2008 5:37 PM