Registering MSCOMCT2.OCX in 64 Bit Windows 7

Question

• We use a calendar control as part of several MS Access 2007 databases.  This is not a problem in Windows XP, but we are migrating to 64 bit Windows 7 and are having trouble registering this OCX control under this OS.  We've tried running as administrator, both from a shortcut and from a command prompt.  We've also tried logging into the machine as a local admin - none of these works.  The error when failing is 0x8002801C.

I've read that Microsoft is possibly fazing out support for VB6 controls in the 64 bit version of Windows 7 but have heard nothing definite.  If there is an alternative to using this control that would still work with Access 2007 and run under Windows 7, I'm willing to give that a try.  Office 2010 is not out yet so there must be something that will work in the interim.

Thank you.
    Wednesday, September 16, 2009 8:09 PM

All replies

• Hi OfficeBoy48,

We have just had the same problem and have now worked out how to do it. You need to copy the MSCOMCT2.OCX file to c:\windows\sysWOW64 not c:\windows\system32. You then can register it by running from the command prompt or run in the start menu regsvr32 c:\windows\sysWOW64\mscomct2.ocx and it should register although make sure that you run regsvr32 with administrator privileges.

Please note, if you try to register the ocx from c: windows\system32 using regsvr32 you will get the following error:

The module “c:\windows\system32\mscomct2ocx” failed to load. Make sure the binary is stored at the specified path or debug it to check for problems with the binary or dependent .DLL files. The specified module could not be found.

We think this is because windows 64 bit is mucking about with what directories it is reporting to the regsvr32 although this is just our educated guess. If you need an up to date version of mscomct2.ocx you can get it from

http://activex.microsoft.com/controls/vb6/mscomct2.cab

Good luck

Rod

Wednesday, December 16, 2009 10:41 AM
  • Hi, I have exactly the same problem and followed your instructions, OfficeBoy48. Yet the same error message appear, and the module doesn't register. "The module ws loaded but the call to dllRegisterSaver failed with error code 0x8002801C". I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit. Do you have an idea on how to work this out? Another idea, I mean. Could some necessary files be missing from my system? All the other controls work fine... Please help if you can!
    Regards, 
    MrDoc
    Saturday, February 13, 2010 7:29 AM
  • I have the same problem.  I am running 64-bit windows 7.  MSCOMCT2.OCX was already in my C:\Windows\SysWOW64 folder, so I right-clicked on a shortcut to a command prompt and chose "Run as Administrator."  Then, in that command window, I typed regsvr32 "C:\Windows\SysWOW64\MSCOMCT2.OCX"  and the registration suceeded.  However, my application still does not recognize the DTPicker control I need...

If anyone else has joy, let us know.

Keywords: Excel VBA VBA7 Windows7 64-bit DTPicker MSCOMCT2.OCX
    Friday, March 05, 2010 10:42 PM
  • Hi, You need to put the MSCOMCT2.OCX in the same folder as your program.   Eg. if your program is in C:\MyApp folder, then put the MSCOMCT2.OCX file in C:\MyApp folder too.

and create a shortcut and run  %systemroot%\SysWoW64\regsvr32.exe C:\MyApp\MSCOMCT2.OCX   as administrator.

Explanation of Regsvr32 usage and error messages  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/249873

Monday, April 19, 2010 1:26 AM
  • this worked great for my machine. Thanks for posting.
    Monday, July 26, 2010 6:19 PM
  • Hi,

I am a newby and I have tried but cannot get it to work. I would be grateful if somebody could explain the whole procedure. If you could be more specific with the folder locations (although I know this can vary) it would be of help (office 14 maybe?). I do not know how to run the command prompt as administrator either.

Thanks guys!

Saturday, October 23, 2010 12:56 PM
  • Download the file in the link above (http://activex.microsoft.com/controls/vb6/mscomct2.cab)

Save in a folder somewhere on you file system (for example C:\Downloads\mscomct2)

Open the CAB file and extract the contents (cab and inf files). I used the same folder.

Right click on the inf file and select 'Install'

Zoom Zoom Buzz Buzz and it is installed and ready to use. The mscomct2.ocx file will be in the C:\Windows\System32 folder, just as advertised.

Sunday, November 07, 2010 10:00 PM
  • Great! Seems easy enough! Thanks very much.
    Thursday, November 11, 2010 7:36 PM