Data backup problem

Question

• I am working on payroll project.I need get backup of all the information like Loan Details,Leave Summary,Salary Details which are in MS SQL SERVER 2005.

Can any one tell me  is there  a way to send all records in the tables to CD/RW Drive  programmatically,Suppose we have CD Writer.Then I can burn all information .

Or is there another way to do it?

Thank You.....................

Tuesday, September 11, 2007 2:39 AM

Answers

• More better solution would be to just use the backup utilities provided by Microsoft SQL Server 2005. It should not be a responsibility of a client application to backup and restore database (it would be a huge security risk also). Only database administrator with access to database server should be able to do so.

Of course you can create functionality which selects all rows from datatable and saves them to a CD (even if they fit Wink) in some format which can be used later. You can for example get the data to a dataset, and then save the dataset into a (large) XML file (Dataset.WriteXml). But i don't know why user needs to save all rows in a CD (since every database server MUST have a backup system up and running).
    Tuesday, September 11, 2007 6:47 AM
  • For database backup issue, you can either use Sql server's backup function or Serialize into XML file or other way you could imagine.

For burning issue, you could try XP IMAPI burning interface (only in windows XP) and the Nero SDK (need Nero installed).

Thanks
    Wednesday, September 12, 2007 8:18 AM

All replies

• More better solution would be to just use the backup utilities provided by Microsoft SQL Server 2005. It should not be a responsibility of a client application to backup and restore database (it would be a huge security risk also). Only database administrator with access to database server should be able to do so.

Of course you can create functionality which selects all rows from datatable and saves them to a CD (even if they fit Wink) in some format which can be used later. You can for example get the data to a dataset, and then save the dataset into a (large) XML file (Dataset.WriteXml). But i don't know why user needs to save all rows in a CD (since every database server MUST have a backup system up and running).
    Tuesday, September 11, 2007 6:47 AM
  • For database backup issue, you can either use Sql server's backup function or Serialize into XML file or other way you could imagine.

For burning issue, you could try XP IMAPI burning interface (only in windows XP) and the Nero SDK (need Nero installed).

Thanks
    Wednesday, September 12, 2007 8:18 AM