Audio On Windows 8 Dev preview Not working Help Please!

Question

• I am having trouble getting my sound to work. It has the Speaker With the x on it. Finds No devices but it does in device manager. Says i have to start required audio services. Also says one or more audio service isn't running, "Both the Windows Audio and the Windows Audio End Point Builder services must be running for audio to work correctly. Atleast one of these services isn't running." I tried starting Windows Audio and it came up with this Windows could not start the Windows Audio Service On Local Computer.
    "Error 1297: A privilege that the service requires to function properly does not exist in the service account configuration.  You may use services Microsoft management console(mmc) snap-in (services.msc) and the local security settings mmc snap-in (secpol.msc) to view the service configuration and the account configuration. I did all the driver stuff didn't work. Could someone please help.
    Monday, September 26, 2011 4:37 AM

Answers

• Hey EllipsisCriteria,

A clean installation is typically an installation of Windows that you initiate by booting from a DVD or USB drive. Once you begin progressing through the installation screens you will eventually get to choose between completing an Upgrade or Custom installation. A clean install uses the Custom option.

A custom installation doesn't preserve your programs, files, or settings. Before you try to complete any type of installation of Windows it is always a good idea to back up any data that you wouldn't want to lose. Take a look at the link below for several methods of backing up your data.
    How to back up files and recover data

Before you complete a clean installation of Windows Developer Preview you may want to try refreshing your PC to see if that solves your problem. Here is what will happen when you refresh your PC:

• Your files and personalization settings won't change.
    • Your PC settings will be restored to their defaults.
    • Apps from Windows Store will be kept. All other apps will be removed.

To refresh your PC:

• Enter the Start screen
    • Click/touch Control Panel
    • Select General in the left column
    • Under Refresh your PC without affecting your files, click/touch Get started

If that doesn't help, you can also try resetting Windows Developer Preview. Here is what will happen when you reset your PC:

• Your personal files and apps will be removed.
    • Your PC settings will be restored to their defaults

To reset your PC:

• Enter the Start screen
    • Under Reset your PC and start over, click/touch Get started

Hope that helps.

Steven
    Monday, October 03, 2011 7:32 PM

All replies

• I had the same problem myself after updating windows xp to windows 8. After that i tried a clean installation and the sound is working fine.
    Monday, September 26, 2011 12:00 PM
  • Clean installation? Care to elaborate? Thanks.
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 1:44 AM
  • Hey EllipsisCriteria,

A clean installation is typically an installation of Windows that you initiate by booting from a DVD or USB drive. Once you begin progressing through the installation screens you will eventually get to choose between completing an Upgrade or Custom installation. A clean install uses the Custom option.

A custom installation doesn't preserve your programs, files, or settings. Before you try to complete any type of installation of Windows it is always a good idea to back up any data that you wouldn't want to lose. Take a look at the link below for several methods of backing up your data.
    How to back up files and recover data

Before you complete a clean installation of Windows Developer Preview you may want to try refreshing your PC to see if that solves your problem. Here is what will happen when you refresh your PC:

• Your files and personalization settings won't change.
    • Your PC settings will be restored to their defaults.
    • Apps from Windows Store will be kept. All other apps will be removed.

To refresh your PC:

• Enter the Start screen
    • Under Refresh your PC without affecting your files, click/touch Get started

If that doesn't help, you can also try resetting Windows Developer Preview. Here is what will happen when you reset your PC:

• Your personal files and apps will be removed.
    • Your PC settings will be restored to their defaults

To reset your PC:

• Enter the Start screen
    • Under Reset your PC and start over, click/touch Get started

Hope that helps.

Steven
    Monday, October 03, 2011 7:32 PM
  • SOLUTION FOUND!!!!!

I have the same problem on my Windows Developer Preview, it seems that the problem is caused by the group policy (gpedit.msc) when you upgrade from xp to Windows Developer Preview.

YOU CAN FIX IT BY FOLLOWING THE STEPS BELOW:

1. Open cmd.exe with Administrator rights

2. Type in:

"secedit /configure /cfg %windir%\inf\defltbase.inf /db defltbase.sdb /verbose"

3. Restart your computer when the process completes

4. TADA, your audio service now runs normally

Thx for your attention!!

• Proposed as answer by jw412 Wednesday, December 28, 2011 1:05 PM
    Wednesday, December 28, 2011 1:05 PM
  • Tried this and it still didn't work.
    Saturday, February 04, 2012 10:03 AM
  • Hey MrMoo,

Are you getting the "Error 1297: A privilege that the service requires to function properly does not exist in the service account configuration." error?

Please provide a detailed description of the problem you are encountering and the steps that you have taken so far in trying to resolve your problem.

Look forward to hearing back from you.

Steven
    Monday, February 06, 2012 9:22 PM
  • Hi,

Steven

See the below details..............

Issues found
    One or more audio service isn't running
    Both the Windows Audio and the Windows Audio End Point Builder services must be running for audio to work correctly. Atleast one of these services isn't running.
    Not fixed
    Not Fixed
    Start required audio services
    Completed
    Potential issues that were checked
    Check audio device
    There might be a problem with your audio device.
    Issue not present
    Issues found
    Detection details
    One or more audio service isn't running
    Not fixed
    Not Fixed
    Both the Windows Audio and the Windows Audio End Point Builder services must be running for audio to work correctly. Atleast one of these services isn't running.
    Start required audio services
    Completed
    Start the Windows Audio and the Windows Audio End Point Builder services
    Potential issues that were checked
    Detection details
    Check audio device
    Issue not present

There might be a problem with your audio device.

This is I got the error .

Please help me............

What I do for that ????????????????

Best Regards,

Parthiban.R

Sunday, February 26, 2012 2:38 PM
  • Hey Parthiban.R,

Let's try to turn the Windows Audio and Windows Audio End Point Builder services on to see if that allows you to have audio. To do this:

• Enter the Start screen
    • Type Services (If you have a touch screen: Swipe you finger from the right edge of the screen to open the Charms bar, click Search, click the Search text box, and type Services)
    • Click Services

Look through the list of services and find the Windows Audio and Windows Audio Endpoint Builder services. If either Windows Audio or Windows Audio Endpoint Builder services are not in a "Running" status:

• Right click the service that isn't running
    • Click Start
    • Right click the same service
    • Click Properties
    • Change the Startup type: entry to Automatic
    • Click OK

Repeat the steps above for the other service if both Windows Audio and Windows Audio Endpoint Builder weren't "Running" when you opened Services.

Hope that helps.

Steven

Tuesday, February 28, 2012 3:17 AM