none
Can I implement an ActiveSync client for verision lower than 12.1

Question

• For a project I want to implement the client part of the Exchange ActiveSync (EAS) protocol. The open documentation for this protocol is only for the version 12.1 and upper. Can I implement the client part for version lower than 12.1 so I could connect to an Exchange 2003 et 2007 without SP1? And this without paying any licence fee and be able to sell my software.

Tuesday, February 22, 2011 12:19 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi, rsauvat_inet

Thank you for your question.  An engineer from the protocol team will contact you soon.

Bryan S. Burgin Senior Escalation Engineer Microsoft Protocol Open Specifications Team
    Tuesday, February 22, 2011 5:06 PM
  • rsauvat_inet,

I am the engineer who has taken ownership of your issue. I am currently investigating this and will update you as things progress.

Tuesday, February 22, 2011 11:41 PM
  • Some of this was covered during the September 2010 Exchange protocols documentation event.  I think you may find http://channel9.msdn.com/posts/Exchange-ActiveSync-EAS a useful source of answers. The short version is:

1. You can ask Microsoft for older versions of the documentation (which did cover prior versions of the protocol), but they aren't really maintained.

2. Microsoft is actively licensing activesync, and if you are selling for profit, Microsoft almost certainly wants patent licensing fees. There is are links in the Open Specification web page, and on the video. [I only do code, not legal advice, though - talk to an independent lawyer.]

Brad

• Proposed as answer by Brad Hards Wednesday, February 23, 2011 6:53 AM
    • Edited by Brad Hards Wednesday, February 23, 2011 7:01 AM be less emotive.
    Wednesday, February 23, 2011 6:53 AM
  • rsauvat_inet,

As to which version to implement, this is completely up to you. However, the Open Specifications Documentation on Exchange ActiveSync only focuses on protocol versions 12.1 to current. You will find IP Licensing information for the Exchange ActiveSync Protocol at the following web address: http://www.microsoft.com/about/legal/en/us/IntellectualProperty/IPLicensing/Programs/ExchangeActiveSyncProtocol.aspx .

I hope this helps.

Tuesday, March 01, 2011 1:12 AM