none
Not able to create the db and restore the db in cluster environment

Question

• Hi

We have created a new sql cluster server.After configuration we have created a db on the server.

After some days we tried to create the db and restore the db.But we are getting the below errors.

While restoring from a drive observed below error.

Error:cannot access the specified path or file on th eserver.verify that you have necessary security privileges and that the path or file exist

While creating new db

cannot use file 'path:*****.mdf' for cluster server.only formatted files on which the cluster resource of the server has a dependency can be used.Either the disk resource containing the file is not present in the cluster group or the cluster resource of the sql doesnot have a dependency on it.
    create database failed .some file names listed could not be created.check related errors.(microsoft sql server,error:5184)

On active node c drive and quorum drives are offline.On passive node both are online.Remaining other drives are in online on active node.We have kept the user and sys db  files on other drives.

Is this causing issue.please share if there are any links related to this issue.

Wednesday, June 11, 2014 5:52 PM

Answers

• Msg 5184, Level 16, State 2, Line 1

Cannot use file '.mdf' for clustered server. Only formatted files on which the cluster resource of the server has a dependency can be used. Either the disk resource containing the file is not present in the cluster group or the cluster resource of the Sql Server does not have a dependency on it.

Msg 3156, Level 16, State 3, Line 1

File '***' cannot be restored to '***.mdf'. Use WITH MOVE to identify a valid location for the file.

Msg 5184, Level 16, State 2, Line 1

Cannot use file '***.ldf' for clustered server. Only formatted files on which the cluster resource of the server has a dependency can be used. Either the disk resource containing the file is not present in the cluster group or the cluster resource of the Sql Server does not have a dependency on it.

File '**log' cannot be restored to '***.ldf'. Use WITH MOVE to identify a valid location for the file.

Msg 3119, Level 16, State 1, Line 1

Problems were identified while planning for the RESTORE statement. Previous messages provide details.

Msg 3013, Level 16, State 1,

Line 1 RESTORE DATABASE is terminating abnormally.

When i execute the below query its not showing any drive names.
    select * from sys.dm_io_cluster_shared_drives.

Hi mito access,

According to your description, I agree with RAJU. The restore is failed because the drive which is being made to place .mdf and .ldf file  is not to be add a dependency to the cluster resource group. As RAJU post, you can try to add a cluster dependency.

In addition, I recommend you  restore these files to a drive that the cluster is dependent upon, when specifying WITH MOVE T-SQL statement.

For more information, there is detail about this issue, you can review the following article.
    http://wiki.idera.com/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=2164804

Regards,
    Sofiya Li

Sofiya Li
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, June 12, 2014 7:17 AM
  • Once you add the dependency for the required sql server disks then these disks must not go out of its own, there must be some issues\errors.

If you facing such issues again, please share those errors to understand and check.

Santosh Singh

Friday, June 13, 2014 7:40 PM

All replies

Cannot use file '.mdf' for clustered server. Only formatted files on which the cluster resource of the server has a dependency can be used. Either the disk resource containing the file is not present in the cluster group or the cluster resource of the Sql Server does not have a dependency on it.

File '***' cannot be restored to '***.mdf'. Use WITH MOVE to identify a valid location for the file.

Cannot use file '***.ldf' for clustered server. Only formatted files on which the cluster resource of the server has a dependency can be used. Either the disk resource containing the file is not present in the cluster group or the cluster resource of the Sql Server does not have a dependency on it.

File '**log' cannot be restored to '***.ldf'. Use WITH MOVE to identify a valid location for the file.

Problems were identified while planning for the RESTORE statement. Previous messages provide details.

• Edited by mito access Wednesday, June 11, 2014 6:31 PM
    Wednesday, June 11, 2014 6:13 PM
  • Can you try this ? I think dependency was not set correctly ?

1. Open Failover Cluster Manager
    2. Select your clustered application
    3. Right-click on your SQL Server resource then click Properties.
    4. Click on the Dependencies tab.
    5. Click the Insert button to add an additional row, then select the shared disk that contains your SQL databases.
    6. Ensure that all resources are required (there is an AND next to subsequent resources) then click OK.

Or Follow this link too...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/295732

Raju Rasagounder Sr MSSQL DBA

Thursday, June 12, 2014 12:05 AM

Hi mito access,

According to your description, I agree with RAJU. The restore is failed because the drive which is being made to place .mdf and .ldf file  is not to be add a dependency to the cluster resource group. As RAJU post, you can try to add a cluster dependency.

In addition, I recommend you  restore these files to a drive that the cluster is dependent upon, when specifying WITH MOVE T-SQL statement.

For more information, there is detail about this issue, you can review the following article.
    http://wiki.idera.com/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=2164804

Regards,
    Sofiya Li

Sofiya Li
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, June 12, 2014 7:17 AM
  • Hi All,

Thanks for reply.

I added the drives as dependencies to sql server resource.

After cluster configuration ,we created the db without any issues.At that time i can see the drives as dependencies to resource.

Due to some os/ cluster issues os team has moved drives.After this we are observing  issue while creating db

So, again i added the drives to sql resource.If we move drives ,are these drives automatically removed from sql resource as dependency.

Thursday, June 12, 2014 10:13 AM
  • Once you add the dependency for the required sql server disks then these disks must not go out of its own, there must be some issues\errors.

If you facing such issues again, please share those errors to understand and check.

Santosh Singh

Friday, June 13, 2014 7:40 PM
  • Hi

I observed only the below error during that activity:

A corruption was discovered in the file system structure on volume D.The exact nature of the corruption is unknown. The file system structures need to be scanned online.

Friday, June 20, 2014 10:04 AM