none
Tankinator Ver 0.02!!!!!!!!!!!!

General discussion

• Hey all!! I just finished Ver 0.02!!!!! Get it here:  http://www.mediafire.com/?19b2zs421jovtf2

Picture here:

Features added:

1) Added pause Feature ("P" to activate) - Thanks to litdev for source code

2) Added a Feature to enable setting the aim of the turret - As suggested by Ed Price

3) Added different turret wreck shapes for different turrets

4) fixed countless bugs

Please give input (Its my only reward)!!!

Thanks!!

A spark to start a fire is necessary. But mainly you need dry kindling.

Saturday, December 22, 2012 6:42 PM

All replies

• Anyone?

Sunday, December 23, 2012 4:06 AM
  • It was amazing man. Keep it up. It's like a real game I wanna play during my pastime. And don't forget to post your game here to get featured:

post your games to get featured on our blog

Sunday, December 23, 2012 9:44 AM
  • The screen after you hit pause  was interesting to me. Like real games.
    Sunday, December 23, 2012 9:50 AM
  • Thank you!! Thank you for the reply!!

Sunday, December 23, 2012 4:52 PM
  • That is one impressive game!! Love it!! The one I made is still buggy, while yours is almost flawless! Yours has a lot more challenge to it, too! One suggestion, though. Maybe you could have about 3 different tank images. That way there would be some variety to the tanks.

I am a 10 year old that loves math, games, and computers. 'Binary is as easy as 1, 10, 11.'

• Edited by Math Man Sunday, December 23, 2012 10:45 PM
    Sunday, December 23, 2012 10:41 PM
  • Thanks!! Just so you know. I really would want people to make turrets for the game. It is very easy.

It looks like this.

TurretPic[2]["Base"]["Path"]  = Program.Directory + "/Bottoms/Base2.Png"  'The Stationary part Pic
    TurretPic[2]["Top"]["Path"]  = Program.Directory + "/Tops/Top2.Png"  'The Turning part Pic
    TurretPic[2]["Projectile"]["Path"] = "Ball" 'Set to Ball For Ball Or The file path for a img
    TurretProp[2]["Name"] = "Type 2 Turret" 'Turret Name
    TurretProp[2]["BallSize"] = 10 'Ball Size (If Projectile is set to Ball)
    TurretProp[2]["BallColor"] = "Blue" 'Ball Color (If Projectile is set to Ball)
    TurretProp[2]["Price"] = 50  'Cost in $
    TurretProp[2]["Speed"] = 125 'Velocity
    TurretProp[2]["ROF"] = 1250  'Rate Of Fire. In Millseconds Length in between fireing
    TurretProp[2]["Damage"] = 1000 'The Damage it does to the tank when it fires
    TurretProp[2]["Range"] = 200
    That is basically it!

Monday, December 24, 2012 12:34 AM
  • Anyone want to participate??

Monday, December 24, 2012 8:23 PM
  • Would we have to create the art for it, too? I'm horrible at making digital art. I do, however, have a turret for you to try. You'll just have to set what base and top it has.

TurretPic[7]["Projectile"]["Path"] = "Ball" 'Set to Ball For Ball Or The file path for a img
    TurretProp[7]["Name"] = "Heavy Artillery" 'Turret Name
    TurretProp[7]["BallSize"] = 20 'Ball Size (If Projectile is set to Ball)
    TurretProp[7]["BallColor"] = "Black" 'Ball Color (If Projectile is set to Ball)
    TurretProp[7]["Price"] = 250  'Cost in $
    TurretProp[7]["Speed"] = 25 'Velocity
    TurretProp[7]["ROF"] = 3000  'Rate Of Fire. In milliseconds length between firing
    TurretProp[7]["Damage"] = 50000 'The Damage it does to the tank when it fires
    TurretProp[7]["Range"] = 1000

Do you think that would be good? Or maybe the price should be higher/lower?

I am a 10 year old that loves math, games, and computers. 'Binary is as easy as 1, 10, 11.'

Monday, December 24, 2012 8:57 PM
  • Nice!! I like that! I'll Try and put it in!

Monday, December 24, 2012 9:12 PM
  • You're welcome!! Did you get my earlier message about the different tanks? I think that would make it even better.

Monday, December 24, 2012 11:09 PM
  • Yeah I did. I'm Gonna Work on that.

Wednesday, December 26, 2012 5:25 PM
  • Do you all want a 0.03? or should I leave it a this.

Thursday, December 27, 2012 9:17 PM
  • This is awesome! Great improvements! Love the pause feature, and the right-click on a tank is a great mechanic. It adds a new dimension to the gameplay!

I updated the TechNet Gallery download here: http://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/Tankinator-Small-Basic-Game-55a77a3f

What would be in 0.03?

1. Math Man's turret... needs a base image and turret top image. Have you tried it out? It might need the price or other stats adjusted to fit the gameplay.
    2. Mobile Heavy Turret... This would be a crazy feature, but basically you have an incredibly expensive turret that's as powerful as the heaviest turret is. The difference is that you can select it and then right-click on the ground for it to move there. =^) (I suppose you can have two of these at different power levels.)
    3. Did you improve the performance? I didn't get that far to check.
    4. Should there be a Save feature? I think the Pause feature might take care of that need.
    5. Math Man's note about different tanks. What would be different about them? Different speeds, strength, and art? What if one of the tanks fired back? That might make it too challenging (but would mix it up). =^)
    6. Is there a way to post your top score on a shared file online? Then you get a Top 10 score when you start and end a game. Maybe an overall list and a top 10 of the month list. That would give it the feel of competing against other players' top scores. A pie in the sky feature, but if we can figure it out with this game, maybe we can share the code and get it into other games too.

Changes Made: Overall, the turret that wouldn't fire seems fixed. The pause feature works great. Changing your aim of tanks makes the game much more interactive and a little less frustrating. Some of the glitches look improved. Great new version!

What were the bug fixes? Did you fix the layering? In 0.01, tanks would go under the turret tops (and similar layering issues like that).

Thanks!

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)

Saturday, December 29, 2012 4:07 PM
  • Thanks for the reply!!

The layering bug I wasn't really that aware of. I will try to fix that.

I will make a turret for MM's Turret. But i think it should be around 1500$. It has a very slow rate of fire and i will make its damage pretty high.

As for the mobile heavy turret. I think that it would be a very good addition to the game. and I will try to add that. But no promises.

As for saving the scores online, I looked into that here:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/smallbasic/thread/e636ca2b-6b8d-436c-9a97-bd23fa1d89f4

And found that I couldn't do it. (At least without an extention)

The different tanks are one thing that I know will be in 0.03.

Saturday, December 29, 2012 4:56 PM
  • My suggestion is that you add sounds to your game. It's not very hard and it will make the game more exciting. If you want I have a bunch of explosion and laser, etc. sounds that I can send to you to add to your game.
    Saturday, December 29, 2012 7:57 PM
  • You'd think it wouldn't be hard, But without a extension is nigh impossible. It seems to me that sound.play() Only works once or so then it stops working. :-/ But if you can give me a sample program, Id love to see how you did it!

Saturday, December 29, 2012 9:56 PM
  • To replay a sound after Sound.Play, do a Sound.Stop, this resets it.  Or even better do the Sound.Stop just before any Sound.Play.

Saturday, December 29, 2012 10:01 PM
  • Thanks!! That is amazing to know!!

Saturday, December 29, 2012 10:03 PM
  • This games hilarious to watch a screen full of turrets going haywire!  I put up a two line wall of $25 cheepies then kept building up the rear with either $150 or $1000, games going for long time now, patching with cheepies when they get mowed over.

I wonder how hard it would be to fake 3-d and have a slight side-view of the battlefield.  Just enough to use 3-d pictures of tanks/turrets.  Maybe even give the artillery an arc.

Also I wonder if there's a way to speed it up when things are getting really busy.  I let it go for a hour with a load of turrets and ended up with $20895 and 1583239 points hehe.

• Edited by bigdaddyo Sunday, December 30, 2012 1:51 AM
    Sunday, December 30, 2012 12:04 AM
  • Yeah... I'm tryin to upgrade this as fast As i can. But thanks for the reply!

PS If you would like to make a turret, (See above) I will probably put it in the new version!

Sunday, December 30, 2012 4:07 PM
  • More realistic firepower (than just the balls) would be a nice touch. For example, the missiles look great. But I suppose even lasers or effects would look cool, so it doesn't have to be too realistic.

Great game!

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)

Saturday, January 05, 2013 7:58 AM
  • I'll pop this thread back up by making it sticky for a bit. Check this game out if you haven't yet! It's incredibly addictive. I featured it in this blog post:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/smallbasic/archive/2013/01/09/tankinator-small-basic-featured-game.aspx

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Saturday, February 16, 2013 9:14 AM
  • Thanks! this game was fun to make, But as you can see it is kinda hard on the CPU :) so I have been writing it in Java script so I can put it on the Iphone! But thanks for popping this thread back up!

Sunday, February 17, 2013 4:46 PM
  • Cool. Here's my arrowhead strategy:

And my top score:

Great game!

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Monday, February 18, 2013 2:08 AM
  • Hey guys! Just so you know, I'm almost done with 0.03!

Monday, February 18, 2013 3:40 PM