How to Import the Metadata File into a Solution

Question

• My "Test Project" has lost its connection to its Metadata file (*.vsmdi).  After I have opened my project, when I attempt to open the metadata file (VS->Test->Load Metadata File), I see this warning message:

“Metadata files that belong to projects cannot be edited.  If you wish to use this metadata file, please import it into the solution”.

I have opened the VS Solution Explorer, but ‘am not seeing an option that will allow me to do any sort of an import operation.  What is the proper way to import a Metadata File into a Solution?

Friday, August 04, 2006 7:43 PM

Answers

• Hi Lester,

If you are using VSTS team suite or tester edition, the Import Metadata button is on the Test Manager window toolbar. There are tooltips for the toolbar buttons. To open Test Manager window, you need go to menu Test -> Windows -> Test Manager.

You can also go to Solution Explorer, right click Solution Items, Add-> Existing item, and choose the vsmdi file you want to use. You can replace or merge it with the current one. Actually, the Import operation I mentioned above has the same effect as merge.

Please let us know if this answered your quesiton.

Christine

Thursday, August 10, 2006 10:58 PM

All replies

• If you already have the vsmdi, just try to add to the solution as an exsisting item.
    Saturday, August 05, 2006 4:31 PM
  • Hi Lester,

If you are using VSTS team suite or tester edition, the Import Metadata button is on the Test Manager window toolbar. There are tooltips for the toolbar buttons. To open Test Manager window, you need go to menu Test -> Windows -> Test Manager.

You can also go to Solution Explorer, right click Solution Items, Add-> Existing item, and choose the vsmdi file you want to use. You can replace or merge it with the current one. Actually, the Import operation I mentioned above has the same effect as merge.

Please let us know if this answered your quesiton.

Christine

Thursday, August 10, 2006 10:58 PM