How to avoid stack overflow in a load test?

Question

• I have a unit test that calls into a native library and winds up having a fairly deep callstack.  This test works just fine when running as an individual unit test, but when I try to add it to a load test I hit a stack overflow exception.  It seems that the additional stack overhead of the load test framework was enough to push this unit test up to the overflow point.

I'm trying to find a way around this by allocating more stack space to the threads created by the load test framework.  I saw one forum post related to the same issue and I tried the registry edit listed there and bumped the stack to 2MB but still keep hitting the issue.

I also tried using editbin /stack on the qtagent32.exe host executable for the loadtest framework but that didn't work either.

Any help much apprecited!

Monday, June 06, 2011 6:33 PM

Answers

• 1)     Have you run the test in 64-bit mode?

2)    What code do you have added to a LoadTestPlugin?  The stack info that a loadtest adds should be very minimal.

3)    [Doubtful, but worth considering] You may need to modify the Desktop Heap settings (page 87 of the QRG http://vsptqrg.codeplex.com)

--Trevor H.
    Send files to Hotmail.com: "MS_TREVORH"
    Wednesday, June 15, 2011 6:21 PM
    Owner

All replies

• Hello TJTester,

Thanks for your post.

Thank you for your question.

I am trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue. There might be some time delay. Appreciate your patience.

Thank you for your understanding and support.

Vicky Song [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Tuesday, June 07, 2011 7:09 AM
  • 1)     Have you run the test in 64-bit mode?

2)    What code do you have added to a LoadTestPlugin?  The stack info that a loadtest adds should be very minimal.

3)    [Doubtful, but worth considering] You may need to modify the Desktop Heap settings (page 87 of the QRG http://vsptqrg.codeplex.com)

--Trevor H.
    Send files to Hotmail.com: "MS_TREVORH"
    Wednesday, June 15, 2011 6:21 PM
    Owner