Vis Stu C++ express, Intellisense not updating

Question

• Hi,

I've been searching like crazy for the last week trying to figure out a solution to my problem.. Hopefully someone here can give me a hand.

Recently, my intellisense for Visual Studio 2008 Express has stopped updating its database unless the file is closed and reopened. I've tried the usual "delete the .ncb file" remedy with no help. I can tell that its working, but is not updating unless the file is reopened. So if I type a function/class, intellisense doesnt see it existing until the next time I open the file. Also, if I write a function, close it, reopen it, the function exists even if I delete it. Waiting with the cursor at the function for the parameter list doesn't help, and I've tried reinstalling Vis stu completely, AND downloaded 2005 and had the exact same problem.

Any help would be amazing.
    Thanks
    -Nums
    Thursday, June 19, 2008 5:59 AM

Answers

• IntelliSense is badly broken in VS2008, more so than it was in VS2005.  There have been several hotfixes to try to salvage some of the mess, they are not available for the Express edition.  You'll have to wait for SP1, coming soon.  Don't get your hopes up btw, a real fix won't happen until VS2011.  IntelliSense in C# works real well...
    Friday, June 20, 2008 12:32 AM

All replies

• IntelliSense is badly broken in VS2008, more so than it was in VS2005.  There have been several hotfixes to try to salvage some of the mess, they are not available for the Express edition.  You'll have to wait for SP1, coming soon.  Don't get your hopes up btw, a real fix won't happen until VS2011.  IntelliSense in C# works real well...
    Friday, June 20, 2008 12:32 AM
  • Visual C++ 2010 Express is still broken.

For those that are not aware: right-clicking any project will provide a "Rescan Solution" menu item (near the bottom). This will update the database and may fix your problem.

Sunday, February 19, 2012 2:41 PM