none
"Cannot view XML input using XSL style sheet" error

Question

• The XML page cannot be displayed

Cannot view XML input using XSL style sheet. Please correct the error and then click the Refresh button, or try again later.

A name was started with an invalid character. Error processing resource 'http://localhost/Default.aspx'. Line 1, Position 2

<%@ Page Language="C#" MasterPageFile="Default.master" Title="Your Name Here | Home" -^

When I upload my site via FTP or access it through IIS I get this same error, I got this
    error using the Beta 2 version to VWD .NET 2005 personal website template. I am fairly new
    to ASP so I just wanted to check the functionality. However, I encounter this error when I go
    to access the site

Saturday, April 30, 2005 2:51 AM

Answers

• It sounds like your server is not recognizing .aspx files so it is returning the file as is to the client.  Try reinstalling ASP.NET on your web server.
    Monday, May 02, 2005 5:05 PM
  •  

To Dear Sir,

I came across a distinct error. The details are below:

The XML page cannot be displayed

Cannot view XML input using XSL style sheet. Please correct the error and then click the Refresh button, or try again later.

A name was started with an invalid character. Error processing resource 'ftp://rcsoftnet.com

<%@ Page Language="VB" MasterPageFile="Default.master" Title="Welcome To Bharatiyam 2K7 | Home"
    -^

I crated a website & publish it to ftp site which support asp.net 2.0. It was working fine from VS 2005 environment. However when I try to access the website from ftp I am getting this error.

As in case of localhost it can be easily fixed by configuring the iis as asp.net2.0 but what in case of ftp. as it is already configured as 2.0 

Please provide me with answer. Your prompt feed back is much more appreciated.

Thanks

Gautam

begautam@hotmail.com

+919325119930

Thursday, February 15, 2007 6:22 AM

All replies

• It sounds like your server is not recognizing .aspx files so it is returning the file as is to the client.  Try reinstalling ASP.NET on your web server.
    Monday, May 02, 2005 5:05 PM
  •  

To Dear Sir,

I came across a distinct error. The details are below:

The XML page cannot be displayed

A name was started with an invalid character. Error processing resource 'ftp://rcsoftnet.com

<%@ Page Language="VB" MasterPageFile="Default.master" Title="Welcome To Bharatiyam 2K7 | Home"
    -^

I crated a website & publish it to ftp site which support asp.net 2.0. It was working fine from VS 2005 environment. However when I try to access the website from ftp I am getting this error.

As in case of localhost it can be easily fixed by configuring the iis as asp.net2.0 but what in case of ftp. as it is already configured as 2.0 

Please provide me with answer. Your prompt feed back is much more appreciated.

Thanks

Gautam

begautam@hotmail.com

+919325119930

Thursday, February 15, 2007 6:22 AM
  • Once again.

Your server sends the ASPx file to the client as is.

Browser thinks this is XML and tried to convert it to HTML using XSLT.

Because ASP(X) is not an XML this can't work. Error is deceptive, but the problem is on the server.

This question is completely out off scope of this forum.

Thursday, February 15, 2007 6:37 AM
  • I am having the same issue, It was working fine then this happened. The server sending the XML is apache, is there any settings on that server that may cause this error?

Thanks,

Doug

Friday, February 15, 2008 5:39 PM
  • What issue exactly do you have? So far this thread is about ASP.NET pages not working properly and the server returning their source code. As you use Apache you are probably not using ASP.NET? So what exactly are you using, JSP?

Friday, February 15, 2008 5:45 PM