none
issues seeing database on SQL server

Question

• I have SQL Server 2008 R2 Standard with one instance and several databases that have been created by various third party programs. I had a new vendor attempt to install his database onto my SQL instance but he stated that we couldn't access his database from our existing instance for the following reason:

The reason we weren’t able to see the database
    from the workstation was specifically due to the collation settings of the
    SQL\SQL instance you were using for all of your other applications.  Our
    software Requires Latin 1_General_CS_AS.  Your SQL\SQL instance had CI_AS
    and therefore will not allow connection due to how it communicates with the SQL
    Browser Service on the server

He says that we will need to create a separate instance just for his database. Does his explanation make sense and, if so,  is there anyway to change my existing instance to support his database without affecting my existing databases?

Tuesday, September 10, 2013 11:44 PM

Answers

• You can change the database collations if you are having the required privileges (sysadmin or db_owner)

via query or Wizard.

you can right click on the database> Go to Properties > Options 

you will find the collations setting there in first option , please chose the required collations.

Just let you know that collations setting works on the table level as well . it might be possible the vendor tables having the different collations.

EA

• Marked as answer by Don Powell Wednesday, September 11, 2013 11:02 AM
    Wednesday, September 11, 2013 12:57 AM
  • Collation is very known issue i don;t think they are making any excuse....collations should be similar as they are looking for and all object (column and table ) collations as well.

if they have created the database They should be rolling out the database with (COLLATE Clause) http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms184391(v=sql.100).aspx. not to using the default clause.

so that they can get whatever they want.

EA

• Marked as answer by Don Powell Wednesday, September 11, 2013 11:01 AM
    Wednesday, September 11, 2013 2:11 AM

All replies

• If client allowed to change the collation setting as per your software then below link will helps you

http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/302405/The-Easy-way-of-changing-Collation-of-all-Database

Or connect your third party tool vendor to solve the issue.

Wednesday, September 11, 2013 12:39 AM
  • You can change the database collations if you are having the required privileges (sysadmin or db_owner)

via query or Wizard.

you can right click on the database> Go to Properties > Options 

you will find the collations setting there in first option , please chose the required collations.

Just let you know that collations setting works on the table level as well . it might be possible the vendor tables having the different collations.

EA

• Marked as answer by Don Powell Wednesday, September 11, 2013 11:02 AM
    Wednesday, September 11, 2013 12:57 AM
  • Do you think the collation type would cause the vendors app to not see my instance of SQL or are they using the collation issue as an excuse?
    Wednesday, September 11, 2013 12:59 AM
  • Collation is very known issue i don;t think they are making any excuse....collations should be similar as they are looking for and all object (column and table ) collations as well.

if they have created the database They should be rolling out the database with (COLLATE Clause) http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms184391(v=sql.100).aspx. not to using the default clause.

so that they can get whatever they want.

EA

• Marked as answer by Don Powell Wednesday, September 11, 2013 11:01 AM
    Wednesday, September 11, 2013 2:11 AM