upgrade VS 2005 to VS 2010

Question

• Hi All,

we have a large project which is mostly written in MFC with very limited (C++.NET) calls. The solution has a main mixed aseembly project, a C# project and about a dozen MFC dll/libs.

Will the upgrade from VS 2005 to VS 2010 be easy? Also, can VS 2005 and 2010 be insatlled on the same machine? Thanks in advance.

WJ

• Changed type Helen Zhao Friday, May 11, 2012 6:38 AM
    Wednesday, May 09, 2012 4:05 PM

Answers

• we have a large project which is mostly written in MFC with very limited (C++.NET) calls. The solution has a main mixed aseembly project, a C# project and about a dozen MFC dll/libs.

Will the upgrade from VS 2005 to VS 2010 be easy?

There is no general answer if converting is easy or not. Converting will come more complex if the verion of the source project is older. I.e. it will be more complex if you want to convert a VS6 project to VS2010 since there were tons of changes in MFC, STL, .... In you case I'd say the efford should be reasonable.

Also, can VS 2005 and 2010 be insatlled on the same machine? Thanks in advance.

That is no problem. I never experienced a problem having several VS versions installed.
    • Marked as answer by Helen Zhao Wednesday, May 16, 2012 6:22 AM
    Wednesday, May 09, 2012 4:57 PM

All replies

• Hi All,

we have a large project which is mostly written in MFC with very limited (C++.NET) calls. The solution has a main mixed aseembly project, a C# project and about a dozen MFC dll/libs.

Will the upgrade from VS 2005 to VS 2010 be easy? Also, can VS 2005 and 2010 be insatlled on the same machine? Thanks in advance.

As long as you recompile everything in VS2010 it should not be too hard.

I don't know for sure about VS2005 and VS2010, but VS2008 and VS2010 are fine on the same machine.

Please change the type of your post to Ask a Question.

David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP

• Edited by davewilkMVP Wednesday, May 09, 2012 6:22 PM addition
    • Proposed as answer by Helen Zhao Wednesday, May 16, 2012 6:22 AM
    Wednesday, May 09, 2012 4:26 PM
  • we have a large project which is mostly written in MFC with very limited (C++.NET) calls. The solution has a main mixed aseembly project, a C# project and about a dozen MFC dll/libs.

Will the upgrade from VS 2005 to VS 2010 be easy?

There is no general answer if converting is easy or not. Converting will come more complex if the verion of the source project is older. I.e. it will be more complex if you want to convert a VS6 project to VS2010 since there were tons of changes in MFC, STL, .... In you case I'd say the efford should be reasonable.

Also, can VS 2005 and 2010 be insatlled on the same machine? Thanks in advance.

That is no problem. I never experienced a problem having several VS versions installed.
    • Marked as answer by Helen Zhao Wednesday, May 16, 2012 6:22 AM
    Wednesday, May 09, 2012 4:57 PM
  • Also note the upgrade wizard would update your target framework to .Net 4.0. This may or may not impact your code's behavior, check the list of breaking changes in .Net 4.

The following is signature, not part of post
    Please mark the post answered your question as the answer, and mark other helpful posts as helpful, so they will appear differently to other users who are visiting your thread for the same problem.
    Visual C++ MVP

• Proposed as answer by Helen Zhao Wednesday, May 16, 2012 6:22 AM
    Wednesday, May 09, 2012 5:04 PM
  • You can easily have VS2005 installed on the same machine as VS2010.  It is advisable to install VS2005 first, but I’ve used it both ways.  Rather than speculating, just try it and see what you get.  Most of my projects upgraded without much (if any) manual labor, but one thorn is VS2010 uses MSBUILD instead of VCBUILD, and it is definitely not 100% compatible, so if you have complex build rules, you might need to manually convert those.  For one of my projects, we used a .rules file, and this took a few days of agony to convert (MSBUILD is crap and not documented very well).

-- David

Efficiently read and post to forums with newsreaders: http://communitybridge.codeplex.com
    Thursday, May 17, 2012 6:31 PM