none
The instruction at "0xXXXXXXXX" referenced memory at "0xXXXXXXXX", The memory could not be "written". Click on OK to terminate that program.

Question

• The full message is:

iexplore.exe - Application Error

The instruction at "0xXXXXXXXX" referenced memory at "0xXXXXXXXX", The memory could not be "written".  Click on OK to terminate that program.
    Click on OK to terminate the program.
    Click on CANCEL to debug the program.

If I say yes it crashes - if I say no it crashes in about 30 seconds.

This is similar to a thread with multiple posts except that this message complains about memory being "written" not read.

The memory address varies but the two addresses always match.

I have disabled all add ons (the only ones that were not disabled came from Microsoft anyway).

The web site I am visiting is the Microsoft update page.

I believe that I am current with all updates (as I believe that my automatic update is still working).

XP Professional Service SP3 with IE8

Thank you.

Tuesday, October 13, 2009 7:10 PM

All replies

• The full message is:

The instruction at "0xXXXXXXXX" referenced memory at "0xXXXXXXXX", The memory could not be "written".  Click on OK to terminate that program.

This is similar to a thread with multiple posts except that this message complains about memory being "written" not read.

I have disabled all add ons (the only ones that were not disabled came from Microsoft anyway).

I believe that I am current with all updates (as I believe that my automatic update is still working).

Thank you.

same here!
    xp pro, sp3, with ie8 and the site is windows update
    Friday, November 13, 2009 9:25 AM
  • Same here.
    Monday, November 30, 2009 6:26 PM
  • Just tried to do a windows update and got hit with the same error.
    I have not performed an update in months.. just today I had an urge do to so.

So I tried to use Firefox to run the windows update.. but Microsoft does not allow this.

A little bit of "googling" and I found

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-IE/ieextensiondevelopment/thread/b460a583-997c-42a7-a016-3630ada642f1

Recommends the following
    "Local Administrators can control DEP/NX by running Internet Explorer as an Administrator and unchecking the Tools > Internet Options > Advanced > “Enable memory protection to help mitigate online attacks” option."

I tried it and now have ability to perform a windows update.
    • Proposed as answer by Michael_ATS Thursday, January 14, 2010 8:20 AM
    Thursday, January 14, 2010 8:16 AM
  • I had this same problem. I tried this and now I have the ability to perform a windows update, too. thanks for the post!

Thursday, January 28, 2010 7:04 PM
  • Many thanks. Very useful post. Solved the issue for me...
    Tuesday, February 09, 2010 7:04 PM
  • Michael_ATS,

Thanks you very, very, very much for your post.  I have been trying for a year to solve this problem and your post did it for me.

Mike
    Friday, March 05, 2010 3:33 PM
  • Cheers, worked no probs,

Owe you one.

Wednesday, November 03, 2010 8:44 AM
  • I had the same problem, even could not intall adobe reader. Thank you very mucho
    • Proposed as answer by Billd75 Monday, August 08, 2011 6:10 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Billd75 Monday, August 08, 2011 6:11 PM
    Friday, January 21, 2011 1:00 AM
  • Thank you very much for the solution. I could realize one thing. 1 day before IE was working fine. How could this happen all of a sudden? I did not take any updates.
    schalmeti
    Wednesday, February 16, 2011 2:43 PM
  • Very helpful tip, it worked for me, I just unchecked the memory protection to help...... in internet options.

Thanks

Monday, March 07, 2011 12:13 AM
  • You do realise that taking out the enable memory protection to help mitigate online attacks means that anybody can hack in to you while you are online don't you??

This error is a registry error. simply running a program that will check for registry programs such as PC Tune Up will eliminate the problem and will not leave your computer vulnerable to online attacks.

Saturday, April 02, 2011 10:43 AM
  • Actually, Enable memory protection to help mitigate does not mean that anyone can hack into you. It means that information will not be sent to the place where the information is collected.
    Saturday, July 09, 2011 8:25 PM
  • Michael_ATS, Thanks so much. Your solution worked. I just applied it now and it worked.  Thanks once more again, am grateful.
    Friday, May 04, 2012 4:29 PM
  • Thanks Michael that worked for me.
    Monday, June 04, 2012 2:48 PM
  • Hi Michael,

Yep, it worked like a charm. Microsoft aslo asked me to install a new Windows Update software, which I did.  I then got all my updates, and once done, I simply re-checked “Enable memory protection to help mitigate online attacks” option."

I've since gone back to Windows Updates, with the "Enable memory..." still checked, and it all works.

Good as gold now.

Thanks!

• Edited by CanMan17 Monday, July 02, 2012 4:36 PM
    Monday, July 02, 2012 4:35 PM
  • My OS is windows server 2003, I have searched for “Enable memory protection to help mitigate online attacks” at the following location I could not find the above statement. Can some one help me 

"Local Administrators can control DEP/NX by running Internet Explorer as an Administrator and unchecking the Tools > Internet Options > Advanced > “Enable memory protection to help mitigate online attacks” option."

Thursday, August 30, 2012 1:26 PM
  • My OS is windows server 2003, I have searched for “Enable memory protection to help mitigate online attacks” at the following location I could not find the above statement. Can some one help me 

Try: Computer Configuration > Policies > Administrator Templates > Windows Components > Internet Explorer > Security Features > Turn off Data Execution Prevention
    Wednesday, October 17, 2012 5:05 PM
  • Thank you so much. Have been having this issue for three months now. Your solution worked perfectly.
    Thursday, November 01, 2012 10:06 AM
  • above solution doe not work for me.  I have Windows 7 with ie10 and their is no “Enable memory protection to help mitigate online attacks” option."  So, what do I do?????
    Monday, December 10, 2012 3:08 PM
  • I have this problem in several programs that I try to run. I just installed Windows 8 and that's when the problems started. I can't find the "Tools > Internet Options > Advanced > “Enable memory protection to help mitigate online attacks” option." 8 doesn't appear t have this option.
    Thursday, December 20, 2012 4:32 PM
  • i have the same problem anywa
    Sunday, April 07, 2013 10:33 AM
  • anway does someone has an solution because i have the same problem.

Sunday, April 07, 2013 10:36 AM
  • I had the same problem and I didn't work it out until I tried your way. Thank you very much.
    Thursday, July 18, 2013 1:57 PM
  • The full message is:

Thank you.

you can send video cheak this problem thanks for you
    Tuesday, January 07, 2014 8:04 PM