none
How to handle duplicate internal column name (for managed properties use)

Question

• Dear all,

I have two lists A & B. Both A & B have a column with internal column name "Title".  If I mark the "Title" in managed properties, I have to mark both. Hence both list A & B will be searchable in this case.  I would like to separate these two column with identical name in managed properties.  Is it possible for Sharepoint 2010?  Thanks for input!

Mark

Friday, December 27, 2013 7:42 AM

Answers

All replies

• I would recommend you to create site columns, you will be able to reuse the same column in other lists. In search you can define search scope what and where you want to look for.

Mark ANSWER if this reply resolves your query, If helpful then VOTE HELPFUL
    INSQLSERVER.COM Mohammad Nizamuddin

Friday, December 27, 2013 8:54 AM
  • Thanks for your reply. Let me clarify a bit:

In my case, my list A column "Title" is carrying the product name, while my list B column "Title" is carrying the product ID.  They are different in content but happen to have identical "internal column field name".  I would like to separate these two column with identical name in managed properties.

Friday, December 27, 2013 9:34 AM
  • Hi ,

According to your description, my understanding is that you would like to separate Title column with identical name as managed properties in two lists.

It  seems to be  impossible to implement it directly based the internal Title column.  If you make the Title column as managed property, it will crawl all lists in search scope, it is by design. For implementing your requirement, I commend you create different site columns for list A and B to store the associated information. Then create new managed properties for them based on the new site columns in search scope.

Create a site column in SharePoint 2010
    http://www.sharepointnoob.com/2012/03/29/howto-create-site-column-sharepoint-2010/

Manage metadata properties
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff621097(v=office.14).aspx

I hope this helps.

Thanks,

Wendy

Wendy Li
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, December 30, 2013 8:18 AM