Installation failed for component Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0SP1 (CBS). MSI returned error code 1618

Question

• When I try to install the complete package Visual Studio 2008 SP1 and Net 3.5 SP1 (Vista Ultimate SP1, Visual Studio 2008 Professional, NET 3.5) the installation process fails with the following error description in the log file:

Exe (C:\Users\ChrisW\AppData\Local\Temp\Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 SP1 (Beta)\dotnetfx35setup.exe) failed with 0x80070652 - Another installation is already in progress.

Complete that installation before proceeding with this install. :
    [5/23/2008, 15:52:28] (IronSpigot::ExeInstallerBase:: PerformAction) PerformOperation on exe returned exit code 1618 (translates to HRESULT = 0x80070652)

When I look in the Application and Setup event files I find the following additional information:

Application Event:

Windows Installer installed the product. Product Name: Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 (Beta). Product Version: 3.5.30428. Product Language: 0. Installation success or error status: 0.

Product: Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 (Beta) -- Installation completed successfully.

I assume it is rolled back when the installation fails. At least I do not find it on my machine.

Setup Event:

The Windows update  could not be installed because of an error: 2147944018 "Another installation is already in progress. Complete that installation before proceeding with this install." (Command line: ""C:\Windows\system32\WUSA.exe" "C:\Users\ChrisW\AppData\Local\Temp\dotnetfx3530428.01\1033\dotnetmsp\x86\NetFX2.0-KB948609-v6001-x86.msu" /quiet /norestart")

When I try to install NET 3.5 SP1 stand alone the process fails with the following error:

[05/23/08,18:54:11] Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0SP1 (CBS): [2] Error: Installation failed for component Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0SP1 (CBS). MSI returned error code 1618
    [05/23/08,18:54:30] WapUI: [2] DepCheck indicates Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0SP1 (CBS) is not installed.

I checked the Readme docs and the forums but could not find any reference to this kind of problem.

Any suggestion what may be the cause for this installation problem. 

PS. Before I started I uninstalled NET 3.5 Extensions CTP, ADO.NET Entity Framework and ADO.NET Entity Framework Tools previews.

Chris 

Friday, May 23, 2008 9:10 PM

Answers

• I did the same install on anothe Vista machine. No problem.

The installation fails eacht time on the install of NET 3.5 SP1. Despite I have uninstalled all NET versions and run the cleanup program.

Anyhow I will close this ticket.

Chris

Monday, May 26, 2008 2:43 PM

All replies

• I did the same install on anothe Vista machine. No problem.

The installation fails eacht time on the install of NET 3.5 SP1. Despite I have uninstalled all NET versions and run the cleanup program.

Anyhow I will close this ticket.

Chris

Monday, May 26, 2008 2:43 PM
  • I got a similar failure trying to install SQL Server 2008 SP1 on a Vista Ultimate SP1 system. The reason for failure was an error appearing on installation of .NET Framework 3.5 SP1:

09/05/08,23:46:12] Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0SP1 (CBS): [2] Error: Installation failed for component Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0SP1 (CBS). MSI returned error code 1

[09/05/08,23:46:49] WapUI: [2] DepCheck indicates Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0SP1 (CBS) is not installed.

In my case the log exhibits an MSI error 1. Despite intensive search - including removal of all .NET components, Registry clean up, installer clean up - I was unable to get rid oth this error so I tried to restore the system using using an "upgrade" from Vista Ultimate to Vista Ultimate using the MSDN Vista SP1 DVD. This brute force approach solved the problem in agreement with your notion that on some ("healthy"??) systems the installation of .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 works.

I cannot recommend the "upgrade" using a Vista SP1 DVD unless there is profound reason to do so. The step took about 6 hours (!) to complete. Although nearly all of the configurations were preserved - Office, Outlook, Java, some Legacy system etc. - Windows Update wanted to install a total of 26 components (probably all released since SP1) afterwards which took another hour. And I had to activate my Vista again using a valid product key.

Marc

Wednesday, September 10, 2008 8:28 PM