Deployment Issue: Windows Server 2008 R2 Could Not Find The Provider 'LightSwitchApplication' screen shot attached via PhotoBucket...

Question

• Windows Server 2008 R2 Fresh Install x64

IIS & Application Server Roles Installed

Ms Deploy is installed

right click default website -> Deploy -> Import Application

I Choose the Zip i moved from my development machine (Windows 7 x64) from the publish folder to the Server

Clicked Next here is the error:

Photobucket

Any ideas?

I installed the Lightswitch preReqs and the lightswitch dlls are in the GAC, I have re-booted the server...

Wednesday, January 26, 2011 5:29 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Please use WPI to setup the IIS server. It will take care of the order of installation. The only steps left after install are to run the services Web Deployment Agent Service and Web Management Service, Enable remote connections to the box and configure firewall rules if needed.

Thanks,
    Sandeep 

Wednesday, June 08, 2011 8:17 PM

All replies

• I know on the deploy documentation it says Windows Server 2008 but it does work with R2 Right?

Wednesday, January 26, 2011 7:09 PM
  • Most likely the problem is the order of installations.

The LightSwitch prereqs install will write a registry key under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\IIS Extensions\MSDeploy\1\Extensibility, which will let MSDeploy know about the LightSwitch provider. However, this key is not written by the LightSwitch installer unless MSDeploy is already installed.

Please try uninstalling and then re-installing the LightSwitch prereqs. Unfortunately, repair won't work (an issue we are aware of and are investigating fixing for the final release of LightSwitch). You may also have to make sure that MSDeploy has been properly restarted prior to importing your package again (and I apologize for being purposefully vague on how to ensure that: rebooting is obviously safest, but not always an option).

Wednesday, January 26, 2011 7:35 PM
  • Mike,

First THANK YOU for the quick reply! Sad news.

So I did the following -> uninstalled "Microsoft Visual Studio LightSwitch Beta Server Runtime" -> Reboot the server -> Re-Install -> Reboot the server

The Provider is in the GAC

Checked for the Key (key does exist) see screen shot:

Photobucket

I still get the same error.

Wednesday, January 26, 2011 7:54 PM
  • Hey Jonathan,

I just wanted to encourage you by sharing that I'm running development environments with SQL 2008 R2, SSRS R2, Report Builder 3.0, and VS w/LS on four Windows Server 2008 R2 machines.  All of the servers are running without problems.

However, to get to this point, I have had significant difficulty in creating each LS installation as they were done at different times with versions of SQL 2008 or SQL 2008 R2 as well as different versions of SL and SL related toolsets.   The journey to get each machine to function smoothly has been a stressful hack job for me.

Please let me clarify that the first intial installation of Beta 1 on Aug 24, 2010 went very well - without any problems for me.  My point is that the LS team did a great job with the initial Beta 1 release with the "normal" environment at that time.  Changes in the environment since then have been the challenge as there has been no change in LS Beta 1.

I also seem to have "smoothed" out LS application transfers and deployments for both Desktop and Web environments.   Again, it is reasonable to expect that Beta 2 will start with a current "normal" environment and continue with updates as Beta 2 moves to RC revisions and RTM.   As the product matures, it will be reasonable to expend more effort on additional documentation, installtion instructions, and deployment standards. 

Please continue with your efforts knowing that you will achieve the same success (or better) as the rest of us.

Wednesday, January 26, 2011 8:17 PM
  • I love LightSwitch, I can see how it will CUT my development time.

I got my app to run by unzipping the Deployment file and copying the "Web Root" to a website / Application in IIS 7

I did (for some reason) get an Authentication error on the first run but fixed it by running aspnet_RegIIS -I from the v 4.0 directory on the W2K8 R2 Server

Since I installed the Web Server and Application Server roles i thought it was odd that I would have to re-register IIS, but that is a whole different thing.

Wednesday, January 26, 2011 8:46 PM
  • I commented out the hidden section from the config file which was hiding the bin directory. I succeeded in hosting on IIS. The default.htm file installed the application but it was empty. I tried to see if the SQL Azure database for the app was created and found none. 

Acutally the 'Web Root' you refere to is the app.publish directory hidden in the packaged LS app in the Publish directory. Is it not?

"I got my app to run by unzipping the Deployment file and copying the "Web Root" to a website / Application in IIS 7" is it the same as what I did?

mysorian
    Monday, March 28, 2011 6:39 PM
  • Been struggling with this one for a few days.  Turns out that when I am publishing to a zip file if I uncheck "IIS Server has the LightSwitch Deployment Prerequisites installed" under the "Application Server Configuration" section it works fine when I Deploy -> Import Application

Dan Haligas
    Monday, May 02, 2011 4:44 PM
  • @Dan:  The deployment has changed significantly between B1 and B2.

All B1 posts regarding deployment should be ignored (IMHO) as they are no longer applicable or helpful.

Please check for posting dates after 3/17/11 for advise.

Please note that many B1 posting topics are applicable.  It is my understanding that we will have new forums startng with RTM. 

Monday, May 02, 2011 10:17 PM
  • Hi All,

I found that by uninstalling Web Deploy 2.0 and leaving only Web Deploy 1.1 in place, the application could be imported into IIS via the import package (even when the Service listing showed that the Web Deploy 2.0 service was still in place and running .... go figure!).

As soon as I installed the latest Web Deploy package, the LightSwitch Provider problem re-emerged.

I'm looking forward to the production version!

Cheers,

Dave.

Thursday, May 26, 2011 9:52 AM
  • Ok I have had the same issue and have pulled out probably more hair... I have also been following this thread for that last week or two... I get this when deploying to my server on the domain (Server 2008 R2) -

Could not find the provider "LightSwitchApplication"

Here is what I found that actually got me to my log in screen...

1) Open the "Event Viewer" and see if you have an Error under Application (mine said that only one authentication schema could be used) - Strange because I was using No Authentication?

2) In IIS under the Virtual Directory click on "Authentication" - mine had both Forms and Windows set to Enabled

3) Disable Windows and try to log into your LS site. 

This is where I am now... so no longer get the above error. going to try with Forms Auth now so will post back any updates.

-SD

Wednesday, June 01, 2011 10:23 PM
  • Did you see Dereks' 4/1/11 post at @:

How do we track down "GetAuthenticationInfo" errors with deployments?

We need to collaborate on an app that will track information better than this forum and Connect.

This problem was also driving me nuts back then.  You have my sympathy.

I like the concept of Infragistics' Quince to link related information together and walk down a path.  However, there needs to be several possible and concurrent paths to associate multiple topics from mutiple perspectives.

Thursday, June 02, 2011 12:09 AM
  • Ahhh Good stuff Garth...

Thanks for your posts and the link you added. I read it and there is some good information in there. 

Sleepy but appreciative, ShadowDog.

Thursday, June 02, 2011 9:54 AM
  • Hi,

Please use WPI to setup the IIS server. It will take care of the order of installation. The only steps left after install are to run the services Web Deployment Agent Service and Web Management Service, Enable remote connections to the box and configure firewall rules if needed.

Thanks,
    Sandeep 

Wednesday, June 08, 2011 8:17 PM