upgrade path from standard edition to team edition?

Question

• We know that we want to use Visual Studio .NET 2005 as soon as it is RTM. The issues is that we are not sure if our Management is going to move forward with VSTS or not. From a cost perspective, that makes us hesitant to purchase the team edition of VS.NET 2005. Is there any upgrade path from the standard edition of VS.NET 2005 to a team edition of VS.NET 2005? Will it cost more for us to do this upgrade than buying the team edition directly?

Wednesday, October 12, 2005 12:52 PM

Answers

• One big difference is that Standard Edition does not come with an MSDN Subscription, which presumes that you probably don't have an MSDN subscription today.

If you anticipate needing to move to a Team Edition, you would probably be wise to get into an MSDN Universal, Enterprise, or Professional subscription while they're still available. That would afford you the cheapest upgrade path to a Team Edition.

For more information on the transition plan, see http://msdn.microsoft.com/howtobuy/vs2005/subscriptions/transition/default.aspx
    Friday, October 14, 2005 8:54 PM

All replies

• I haven't seen upgrade pricing within the Visual Studio 2005 family of products, but I would think you'd pay the difference between one edition and the other. Otherwise, everyone would by Standard and then just upgrade, right? Smile
    Friday, October 14, 2005 7:44 AM
  • I am more concerned that there will be no upgrade path between a standard edition and a team edition. If you buy the standard edition and want to upgrade to a team edition I hope that you won't have to pay the full price for the team edition.
    Friday, October 14, 2005 10:13 AM
  • One big difference is that Standard Edition does not come with an MSDN Subscription, which presumes that you probably don't have an MSDN subscription today.

If you anticipate needing to move to a Team Edition, you would probably be wise to get into an MSDN Universal, Enterprise, or Professional subscription while they're still available. That would afford you the cheapest upgrade path to a Team Edition.

For more information on the transition plan, see http://msdn.microsoft.com/howtobuy/vs2005/subscriptions/transition/default.aspx
    Friday, October 14, 2005 8:54 PM