none
Project has encountered a problem and needs to close.

Question

• hello

i made a project which works on .Net Framework 2.0 in order to let everyone use it

it works very well on my PC , then i tried to install it on my colleague's PC  it didn't start and showed this message

"Project has encountered a problem and needs to close."

what is the problem and how to solve it

Please ASAP 

Thanks in advance :)

Friday, September 13, 2013 12:18 PM

Answers

• Here is a screen shot in regards to copy local under references of the project properties.

Also is the project compiled under debug or release ?

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem.

• Marked as answer by AEP2012 Friday, September 13, 2013 5:46 PM
    Friday, September 13, 2013 1:56 PM
  • If Copy Local is set to False then the DevComponents is not being installed as the DLL files will not be in the install folder when placed on the client machine. The only way around this is (and I do not recommend this especially now) to install the required DLL files into the .NET GAC.

So should Copy Local be set to True, yes.

The version of DevComponents in regards to version number does not play a factor in if you are using Framework 2 or 3.5 or higher.

I have other thoughts but let's first see about the above.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem.

Friday, September 13, 2013 2:10 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Under project properties set Target CPU to x86 on the Compile tab, see if that makes a difference. If not, please indicate what version of Windows you compile the app on and what version of Windows did the app crash on.

Friday, September 13, 2013 12:50 PM
  • Hello,

Under project properties set Target CPU to x86 on the Compile tab, see if that makes a difference. If not, please indicate what version of Windows you compile the app on and what version of Windows did the app crash on.

thanks for reply

it's already set to X86

and i compiled the project on windows XP and the problem appeared on the same one

Friday, September 13, 2013 1:13 PM
  • Please verify you have a folder populated with Framework 2.xxxx, for example on my computer.

C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727

Friday, September 13, 2013 1:21 PM
  • Please verify you have a folder populated with Framework 2.xxxx, for example on my computer.

C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727

yes i have this folder

and when i tried to install .Net Framework 2 again it said it's already installed

Friday, September 13, 2013 1:28 PM
  • Is the .Net Framework 2 on the target computer?

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.

Friday, September 13, 2013 1:35 PM

yes it is

btw .. i'm using DevComponents

is that affects on choosing the .Net Framework

sorry for forgetting that on my post

• Edited by AEP2012 Friday, September 13, 2013 1:39 PM
    Friday, September 13, 2013 1:37 PM
  • Okay,

Okay, the easy suggestions did not assist you so I would suggest looking at the following.

Have you installed this on any machines other than your own that work and if so are they XP ?

Do you have any third party references i.e. third party libraries or controls, COM references used in the project that may not be on the machine or machines crashing with your application?

Thinking this is a Windows forms application, what happens prior to the main form displaying i.e. loading data from a database, opening or writing to physical files etc?

When the dialog appears at time of crash does the dialog have Details button as shown in the image below (ignore the error message I simply induced a runtime exception for you to see the dialog). If so press the Details button and copy the text. Next using the button above next to the HTML press it and paste in the text. Depending on the root cause the part of the answer may be in the Exception information.

Friday, September 13, 2013 1:43 PM
  • thanks for ur efforts @Kevininstructor

i installed it on a machine which using XP 

and yes i'm using DevComponents to make my forms and buttons , don't know is that affects or not

and the machine i'm installing on desn't has a JIT debugger so it only shows that message

thanks very much again 

Friday, September 13, 2013 1:49 PM

yes it is

btw .. i'm using DevComponents

is that affects on choosing the .Net Framework

sorry for forgetting that on my post

Check under project references, make sure that the dev components are set to copy local.

Friday, September 13, 2013 1:49 PM
  • Here is a screen shot in regards to copy local under references of the project properties.

Friday, September 13, 2013 1:56 PM

hmmmmmmm i will check project reference

i must make it "true"??

and is the version part decide which .net Framework version is the COM compatible with??

means if the version of DevComponents is 4.0 , i can't run my program on .net Framework 2?

my program is under debug

Friday, September 13, 2013 2:00 PM
  • If Copy Local is set to False then the DevComponents is not being installed as the DLL files will not be in the install folder when placed on the client machine. The only way around this is (and I do not recommend this especially now) to install the required DLL files into the .NET GAC.

The version of DevComponents in regards to version number does not play a factor in if you are using Framework 2 or 3.5 or higher.

Friday, September 13, 2013 2:10 PM

great

i will try all of that when i go back to my pc

and will tell u if my problem solved or not

but anyway

thanks very very very much :) :)

Friday, September 13, 2013 2:14 PM
  • Your welcome, hopefully we can get this resolved soon.

Friday, September 13, 2013 2:17 PM
  • Your welcome, hopefully we can get this resolved soon.

done

the problem that DevComponents is not being copied to the project

when i removed it's items the program runs properly

thaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaanks :)

Friday, September 13, 2013 5:49 PM
  • Excellent :-)

Friday, September 13, 2013 5:57 PM