none
Volume UP + DOWN at startup is not launching BIOS Setup

Question

• This weekend, during normal use, an error occurred and now when I power my tablet up, I see the Samsung logo and then I get a bluish screen with the following text:

Windows Recovery Environment

Your PC needs to be repaired

The Boot Configuration Data file is missing some required information.

File: \EFI\Microsoft\Boot\BCD

Error code: 0x0000034

You'll need to use the recovery tools on your installation media. <snip>

I have prepared a 4GB FAT32 USB flash drive as a Win8 CP installation drive using instructions found on these forums, but I'm not able to get the tablet to boot into its BIOS Setup screen so I can tell it to boot from USB.  Here's what I've tried based on various threads here:

• Hold Volume UP and Volume DOWN while pressing Power: same error screen
    • Hold Volume UP and Volume DOWN immediately after pressing Power: same error screen
    • Hold Volume UP and Volume DOWN while Samsung logo is displayed: Samsung logo never goes away, cooling fan eventually comes on
    • Hold Volume UP while pressing Power: same error screen
    • Hold Volume UP immediately after pressing Power: same error screen
    • Hold Volume UP while Samsung logo is displayed: same error screen
    • Hold Windows button while pressing Power: same error screen

How do I get this machine to boot into its BIOS Setup screen?

Thanks,

Ken

• Edited by kenhan Monday, May 21, 2012 8:23 AM
    Monday, May 21, 2012 8:22 AM

Answers

• I am back up and running and wanted to give back to the community.  First of all, HUGE thanks to Mr. Tofan for providing the instructions for rebuilding the BCD store.  For me, this was enough to resurrect the machine even though I wasn't able to access the BIOS.  If you started with a Windows Recovery Environment error like I did, read on.  If you absolutely need to get to the BIOS, I never got an answer.  However, I can say that once I got into Windows and updated the BIOS to 05WJ (available here: http://www.samsung.com/global/buildpc/index.html), I am now able to use the Vol Up+Down technique to boot to the BIOS Setup.

To rebuild the BCD when I couldn't boot from USB, I had to remove the SSD and update it in a separate Windows 8 machine (I noticed the bcdboot utility does exist in Win7 but am not sure if the versions are compatible).

Removing the back cover is not for the faint of heart but is described here: http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/samsung/45857-series-7-slate-disassembly.html.  I have to warn you that I seem to have broken many of the plastic latches following those instructions so the cover is not staying on very well anymore.

The SSD is a mSATA drive and needs an adapter to connect to a standard SATA cable.  I found that the Syba SY-ADA40050 Mini-SATA SSD to 2.5" SATA Adapter works great and this store had a great price and quick service: http://www.outletpc.com/cs3325.html

The next few steps are copied (and slightly modified) from an email from Mr. Tofan:

Run CMD as administrator and type:

Diskpart

list disk

Select disk n (where n is the number of the minisata SSD)
    List volume

if it returns something like:

Volume ###  Ltr  Label        Fs     Type        Size     Status     Info

----------  ---  -----------  -----  ----------  -------  ---------  --------

Volume 0         Push Button  NTFS   Partition   5100 MB  Healthy

Volume 1     C                NTFS   Partition     54 GB  Healthy    Boot

Volume 2         Recovery     NTFS   Partition    400 MB  Healthy    Hidden

Volume 3         ESP          FAT32  Partition    100 MB  Healthy    System

then type:

select volume 3 (or the volume corresponding to the ESP partition)
    assign

now You can see that partition in Explorer, BACK UP IT!!!!!!! 

Now run CMD as administrator again (or type exit in the diskpart screen)

type:

BCDBOOT X:\Windows /s Y: /f UEFI (X is the 56GB partition on the SSD and Y is the ESP volume letter)

This will take several seconds after which you can put the SSD back into the slate and it should boot up correctly.

At this point, I suggest upgrading the BIOS to 05WJ (available here: http://www.samsung.com/global/buildpc/index.html) from within Windows so that Vol Up+Down during boot works the way everybody says it should.

• Proposed as answer by Jesse Houwing Wednesday, June 13, 2012 8:33 AM
    • Marked as answer by kenhan Wednesday, June 13, 2012 8:57 AM
    Wednesday, June 13, 2012 7:55 AM

All replies

• Make sure the system is fully powered off.

Try attaching a USB keyboard and repeatedly hitting F2 after hitting the power button.

Usually vol up + down + power = EFI, but I've seen a couple that would only trigger via windows key on tablet + power or keyboard.

Alternatively, put in your boot recovery drive, hold vol up, press power button. That should boot into USB.

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 12:28 AM
  • Hi Tim,

Thank you for the quick response, and apologies for the delay in trying this out...I was on the road without the tablet last week.

Unfortunately, neither the F2 via a USB keyboard nor the Windows key had any effect.  I tried all kinds of variations...holding the key steadily while pressing Power, waiting for the Samsung splash screen before pressing, and just repeatedly pressing it while powering up.  it seems like there's nothing that can get the device to consider alternatives when it detects (incorrectly) that the built-in drive is bootable.

At this point I should clarify some assumptions:

* "Fully powered off" is achieved by pressing and holding the power button until the system shuts down, similar to a desktop or notebook.

* Volume Up is the first button next to the USB port in the upper left corner if you're looking at the tablet in landscape mode.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Ken

Tuesday, May 29, 2012 4:10 AM
  • "fully powered off" and "volume up" - yes, I mean just that

For the "windows key" I meant the one on the front of the slate, not on a keyboard (not sure which you used).

If it's going to work, you should start fully powered off (hold power until light goes off), hold down the windows key on the slate, then press the power button while still holding the windows key. Same for the volume up + down combination.

Let me know if you were already using that key, and I will try to investigate further.

Tuesday, May 29, 2012 8:37 PM
  • Hi Tim,

Yes, I was using the button on the front of the slate.  And yes, holding the button in question (Windows, Vol Up, Vol Down, Vol Up + Down, F2) while powering up from a fully powered down state were all things I tried.

There is a tiny hole on the back (maybe even 2) that reminds me of the reset hole on some phones and routers. Do they play any useful role?

Thanks, Ken

Tuesday, May 29, 2012 10:43 PM
  • I've found that timing is everything in getting into the UEFI bios, as well as booting from a USB drive (once unlocked)..

Holding the stuff down as the system powers up rarely worked; instead hit the combinations the first time you see the Samsung logo.. Took a few tries (for both options) for me to get it right..

Thursday, May 31, 2012 8:50 PM
  • Thank you Werelord.  I now have a different result to report: if I hit Volume Up+Down a couple of times after the Samsung logo appears, I can sometimes get to a black screen with an unblinking cursor in the upper left corner.  Unfortunately, it seems hung at that point...no button presses do anything, and having a USB keyboard attached does not help.  What now?

BTW - I am in Bellevue, WA so if anybody is local and wants to see it in person we can make that happen.

Thanks,

Ken

Friday, June 01, 2012 5:36 AM
  • I also had a problem getting to the bios and Werelord is right - timing seems to be critical.  It took me quite a few tries holding both the volume up and down buttons in while powering up before I was able to get it right.

David Butchart

Friday, June 01, 2012 4:36 PM
  • I've tried all kinds of timing and have only gotten either the blue Windows Recovery Environment error screen or the black square with the frozen cursor.  Any other ideas before I go out and buy a new mSATA drive to see if I can do a clean install?
    Monday, June 04, 2012 3:39 AM
  • Any luck getting the tablet working again? I've run into the same problem, except the error has "File: \BCD" instead of "File: \EFI\Microsoft\Boot\BCD" and "Error code: 0xc0000034" instead of "Error code: 0x0000034". I've tried to boot both off of a USB DVD drive containing the Win8 RP and a USB drive with WinPE ( per this post http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/samsungpcgeneral/thread/08821db7-bc29-443a-a7d8-d0aac5f60ed3 ), but have had the same results (Recovery screen or black screen with frozen cursor).
    Thursday, June 07, 2012 6:20 PM
  • Did you upgrade the tablet to the latest BIOS version, or is this still the 4xxx version which was on the tablet when it shipped?

My blog: blog.jessehouwing.nl

Thursday, June 07, 2012 10:56 PM
  • Did you upgrade the tablet to the latest BIOS version, or is this still the 4xxx version which was on the tablet when it shipped?
    Shipped BIOS.
    Thursday, June 07, 2012 11:07 PM
  • I have not upgraded the BIOS.  Can you point me to a resource that would take me through that process?  Of course, an obvious question is that if I can't boot into the BIOS Setup or off a USB/DVD drive then it seems like I'm going to have issues upgrading it.
    Thursday, June 07, 2012 11:16 PM
  • I only updated from win8 itself. I'm not aware of an alternative way to install it.

My blog: blog.jessehouwing.nl

Friday, June 08, 2012 9:29 AM
  • I can't get to the BIOS either.  I tried the following when doing a cold power up:

1. Holding down the Windows key
    2. Hitting the Windows key when the Samsung logo appears
    3. Holding down the volume up and down keys
    4. Hitting the volume up and down keys when the Samsung logo appears
    5. Attaching a USB keyboard to the docking station and hitting F2/F4 repeatedly
    6. Attaching a USB keyboard to the device and hitting F2/F4 repeatedly

The only thing that I observed is when I try option 4 with a thumb drive (4 Gb, bootable, FAT32, latest Win8 release) that the device is accessing it.  I can see the light on the thumb drive go on and off.  That said, I think that this does not matter unless I can get to the BIOS and disable security.

Monday, June 11, 2012 11:07 PM
  • I am back up and running and wanted to give back to the community.  First of all, HUGE thanks to Mr. Tofan for providing the instructions for rebuilding the BCD store.  For me, this was enough to resurrect the machine even though I wasn't able to access the BIOS.  If you started with a Windows Recovery Environment error like I did, read on.  If you absolutely need to get to the BIOS, I never got an answer.  However, I can say that once I got into Windows and updated the BIOS to 05WJ (available here: http://www.samsung.com/global/buildpc/index.html), I am now able to use the Vol Up+Down technique to boot to the BIOS Setup.

To rebuild the BCD when I couldn't boot from USB, I had to remove the SSD and update it in a separate Windows 8 machine (I noticed the bcdboot utility does exist in Win7 but am not sure if the versions are compatible).

Removing the back cover is not for the faint of heart but is described here: http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/samsung/45857-series-7-slate-disassembly.html.  I have to warn you that I seem to have broken many of the plastic latches following those instructions so the cover is not staying on very well anymore.

The SSD is a mSATA drive and needs an adapter to connect to a standard SATA cable.  I found that the Syba SY-ADA40050 Mini-SATA SSD to 2.5" SATA Adapter works great and this store had a great price and quick service: http://www.outletpc.com/cs3325.html

The next few steps are copied (and slightly modified) from an email from Mr. Tofan:

Run CMD as administrator and type:

Diskpart

list disk

Select disk n (where n is the number of the minisata SSD)
    List volume

if it returns something like:

Volume ###  Ltr  Label        Fs     Type        Size     Status     Info

----------  ---  -----------  -----  ----------  -------  ---------  --------

Volume 0         Push Button  NTFS   Partition   5100 MB  Healthy

Volume 1     C                NTFS   Partition     54 GB  Healthy    Boot

Volume 2         Recovery     NTFS   Partition    400 MB  Healthy    Hidden

Volume 3         ESP          FAT32  Partition    100 MB  Healthy    System

then type:

select volume 3 (or the volume corresponding to the ESP partition)
    assign

now You can see that partition in Explorer, BACK UP IT!!!!!!! 

Now run CMD as administrator again (or type exit in the diskpart screen)

type:

BCDBOOT X:\Windows /s Y: /f UEFI (X is the 56GB partition on the SSD and Y is the ESP volume letter)

This will take several seconds after which you can put the SSD back into the slate and it should boot up correctly.

At this point, I suggest upgrading the BIOS to 05WJ (available here: http://www.samsung.com/global/buildpc/index.html) from within Windows so that Vol Up+Down during boot works the way everybody says it should.

• Proposed as answer by Jesse Houwing Wednesday, June 13, 2012 8:33 AM
    • Marked as answer by kenhan Wednesday, June 13, 2012 8:57 AM
    Wednesday, June 13, 2012 7:55 AM
  • The process in this answer worked for me as well. Just one extra note to add though. If you don't have another Windows 8 PC working, you can just connect the mSATA to SATA adapter to any PC and boot off of the Windows 8 install disc. Once the install disc has booted, go through the install steps until you get to the "Install Now" screen. Select the "Repair your computer" option instead of "Install Now." Select "Advanced Options" and then "Command Prompt". Then you can follow the instructions in the accepted answer.
    Tuesday, June 19, 2012 11:11 PM
  • OK.  I popped the cover off of the unit and removed the SSD.  I then purchased the SATA to SSD card discussed here and connected it as a drive to my motherboard.  I am running Windows 7 on my PC so I followed the suggestion to boot off the Windows 8 installation (via USB which I created from Windows8-ReleasePreview-64bit-English.iso using the Windows 7 USB DVD Download Tool) and then got to the DOS window.  I then assigned a drive to the ESP partition and finally ran the BCDBOOT command as described above.  It came back quickly with the message "Boot files successfully created".  I then put the SSD back in the unit and tried booting it several times (cold and warm) but the error is the same: The digital signature for this file could not be verified: \windows\system32\winload.efi 0xc0000428.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/samsungpcgeneral/thread/af1a0126-d115-47ad-bc70-3fa9bc8d1343

Suggestions?  I would really appreciate any helpful.

I cannot get to the BIOS nor can I boot the tablet off of a USB device.  I beleive that I have to upgrade the BIOS in order to be able to do this but I can't do that if I can't get the tablet to bool.

Wednesday, July 04, 2012 3:42 PM
  • I copied \windows\system32\winload.efi to my Windows 7 machine and looked at the digital certificate by just looking at the file properties.  It says that the certificate that Microsoft signed this with has expired, i.e. it was valid from 3/14/11 to 6/14/12.  So it makes sense to me that the system will not boot with the file due to security (UEFI I believe).

What do I do to overcome this?

One thought that I had is to somehow wipe this partition and reinstall windows on it using imagex.  Something like:

imagex.exe /apply install.wim d:\

Where d: is the drive for the SSD.

I could also copy winload.efi from a functioning Windows 8 machine and try it.  The Windows 8 I have is running the latest bits and it a digital signature which is good until 7/9/13 (it is also 1,370,696 bytes).

The size of the bad winload.efi is 1,147,128 bytes.  Here are some of the details:

C:\temp>sigcheck -a -i -m winload.efi

Sigcheck v1.71 - File version and signature viewer
    Copyright (C) 2004-2010 Mark Russinovich
    Sysinternals - www.sysinternals.com

C:\temp\winload.efi:
            Verified:       Signed
            Catalog:        C:\temp\winload.efi
            Signers:
                    Microsoft Windows
                    Microsoft Windows PCA 2010
                    Microsoft Root Certificate Authority 2010
            Signing date:   2:13 AM 2/18/2012
            Publisher:      Microsoft Corporation
            Description:    OS Loader
            Product:        Microsoft« Windows« Operating System
            Version:        6.2.8250.0
            File version:   6.2.8250.0 (winmain_win8beta.120217-1520)
            Strong Name:    Unsigned
            Original Name:  osloader.exe
            Internal Name:  osloader.exe
            Copyright:      ⌐ Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
            Comments:       n/a

Wednesday, July 04, 2012 4:50 PM
  • Hi Trailway,

I can only confirm that it seems very weird for you to be getting that error if it's truly grabbing the winload.efi file from the Win8 Release Preview media.  Is it possible that the BCDBOOT command you used accidentally pointed it to the Win7 files?  This would be the "X:\Windows" part of the command in the instructions above.

It sure seems like a reasonable next step would be to try replacing that file with one from a functioning Win8 machine.

More info from my own continuing saga: last week I ended up in the same error state I was in before: the Boot Configuration Data file is missing some required information.  And once again, I was unable to boot into the BIOS, even after I had upgraded earlier to the latest BIOS and confirmed the Vol Up+Down technique worked when the OS was in a functioning state.  The technique above worked for me again, so I'm back in business.  My conclusion here is that this device, or UEFI in general, or Secure Boot, has a dependency on the contents of the SSD that I've never seen before in a BIOS.

This time, I have disabled Secure Boot and enabled CSM Support to see if that gives me better options next time this happens.

Ken

Thursday, July 05, 2012 4:44 PM
  • I sorted myself out.  The underlying problem was winload.efi had an expired certificate.  Expired certificates appear to be the norm, e.g. look at the one on winload.efi on your Windows 7 machine.  This only becomes an issue with UEFI which has secure boot and that came enabled on the tablet by default.  I predict that this is going to be a major problem.

I got past this by overwriting this file with one from a Windows 8 VM that I set up.  To overwrite it you have to take ownership, grant yourself access, and then replace it.  Once I did that then it booted fine.  The funny thing is that when it booted it was in a dual boot configuration, i.e. the older version of Windows 8 was also present.  The particular version of winload.efi did not come from my Windows  7 machine because I looked at the size of the file.

I booted in the older version of Windows 8 and upgraded the BIOS.  Once that was done, I was able to get to the BIOS when booting and I disabled secure boot.  I then booted off of a USB drive, deleted the partitions, formatted, and reloaded the latest OS in order to get back to sanity.  All is working again.

Doing all of this involved unbelievable time and complexity but I certainly learned alot.

Sunday, July 08, 2012 11:10 AM
  • I just picked up one of these on the secondary market and I must say, trying to get into the BIOS is an unbelievable.  Samsung, are you kidding me?  I am still failing to get into the BIOS.

The usb keyboard doesn't seem to get power during the boot. 
         I have tried connecting to the dock and the slate.
         I have tried all kinds of key combinations.  Power Button, then at Samsung log the volume buttons, the front windows button.

I do sometimes get to a screen that kenhan mentioned in prior post where the screen is black and an unblinking cursor in the upper left corner.  But nothing.

Thursday, August 09, 2012 2:06 PM
  • the problem most likely is your keyboard which is faulty..just replace the keyboard and reboot again ..
    Monday, August 20, 2012 5:18 AM