none
Forms distortion - aspect ratio

Question

• My AC2010 forms in tabbed mode are getting all distorted and effectively unusable when going from a 4:3 aspect ratio to the older 5:4. What do I tell my users ? Upgrade to newer monitors ?
    I don't even have an older monitor to test that aspect ratio !
    To simulate one, sould I attempt to change the screen resolution via the graphics driver utility ?

Thursday, October 17, 2013 2:47 PM

Answers

All replies

• Are all monitors with an aspect ratio of 5:4 CRT type monitors? If so then absolutely tell them to upgrade for health reasons as well as saving power.

Chris Ward

Thursday, October 17, 2013 2:51 PM
  • No, they are 3-4 year old LCD's.
    Thursday, October 17, 2013 3:20 PM
  • That's one good reason why I never use tabbed windows.  Maybe I'm missing something important so I would like to know why you are insisting on using them.

As for testing with different monitors, you can try changing the resolution, but you need to be careful that you pick a resolution the produces a proportionally matching pixel size.  I suspect it would be easier to borrow a monitor with the 5:4 aspect ratio.

Thursday, October 17, 2013 6:17 PM
  • Well, I've always liked the neatness of the tabbed windows. What problems do they cause ?

re: " borrow a monitor ".....Looks like I'll have to grab an old one on EBay.

Thursday, October 17, 2013 7:10 PM
  • I'm kind of confused here.

I thought something was weird about this topic so I just created a db with a couple of Tables, Forms and Reports. It is built using Tabbed Objects. Now when I open it on different computers with different monitors with different aspect ratios, the only thing that changes is the white space to the right and bottom of the objects.

Syswizard, are you saying that instead of the white space growing and shrinking, it is changes the size of the controls as well? Do you have code or something that changes the size of controls based on the size of the Object?

Chris Ward

Thursday, October 17, 2013 7:19 PM
  • Nope. I believe the problem is I built the forms on a hi rez monitor, and they appear huge on a low rez monitor.

There's no "whitespace" so to speak.

Thursday, October 17, 2013 8:32 PM
  • I always like the ability to display two or more form's at the same time.

But Chris asks a good question.  How are the two display different?

Thursday, October 17, 2013 8:50 PM
  • Guys - I think the problem was that I had the AutoResize Property set to False when in fact it should have been true.

Thursday, October 17, 2013 9:00 PM