LNK1104: cannot open file 'uuid.lib'

Question

• Hi everybody,
    I wanted to try the rakkarsoft network library and I was following this tutorial.
    When I add lines of code similar to: rakClientInterface=RakNetworkFactory::GetRakClientInterface();
    I get a linker error when compiling:
    LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file 'uuid.lib'

I don't understand what I have to do. I searched on the web but couldn't find anything.
    Please help me if you can.

PS: as you can imagine I use Visial C++ 2005 Express Edition.
    I also installed Microsoft Platform SDK (R2)

--Actually the problem shouldn't be related to raknet because I got it also when compiling another OpenGL-based project
    Wednesday, June 28, 2006 3:27 PM

Answers

• try adding this at the top of your code:

#ifdef _MSC_VER

#pragma comment (lib,"uuid.lib")

#endif

The error your getting suggests that the code your using expects to be linked with uuid.lib, this file contains the GUID (Globally Unique Identifiers) for various classes.

Wednesday, June 28, 2006 4:03 PM

All replies

• try adding this at the top of your code:

#ifdef _MSC_VER

#pragma comment (lib,"uuid.lib")

#endif

The error your getting suggests that the code your using expects to be linked with uuid.lib, this file contains the GUID (Globally Unique Identifiers) for various classes.

Wednesday, June 28, 2006 4:03 PM
  • Thanks for your help, but anyway nothing seem to change.
    If you have other ideas please tell me.

Bye
    Wednesday, June 28, 2006 4:54 PM
  • You still get the same error?

pencil wrote:

I get a linker error when compiling:
    LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file 'uuid.lib'

This file usually resides in "\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\lib\uuid.lib"

Can you check it is there? If it is there then the code i posted earlier will instruct the compiler to link with this library.

Wednesday, June 28, 2006 5:04 PM
  • Actually the file isn't there. Anyway it is included with the Platform SDK (in the sub-path "\lib")
    Following what this post says (the second one), the linker finds uuid.lib but I still get some errors.
    Now I'll try to handle them myself, then I'll post. If you have anything else to say do it, but I won't be able to read other posts until tomorrow.
    Thank you again.

Wednesday, June 28, 2006 5:34 PM
  • I Actually have the same problem, my uuid.lib file is just gone... Where can i get a new one.

And also i'm afraid more of my libs are gone.. how can i tell?

Thanks
    Sunday, February 04, 2007 2:50 PM
  • I had the same problem. I have VS 2003 .NET Standard, but it doesn't include optimization, so found out you get this through the Toolkit.

Naming of downloads is confusing these days, but you may need to download the "Platform SDK", which includes the Windows headers and libs; only if you don't have compatible ones already.  Once you have these, open up vcvars32.bat and add entries at the top of the file for the additional INCLUDE and LIB locations to these additions.

Saturday, March 24, 2007 4:53 PM
  •  

I too have the same problem, but the pragma doesnt make nay difference to the linker :-(
    Thursday, July 26, 2007 7:22 PM
  • Check your dependancies. 

The uuid.lib file is located in: C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v6.0\Lib  

NOT   C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v6.0\Lib\x86.

You have to have both paths included in your build dependancies or you will end up with a whole bunch of linker errors.

Thursday, August 16, 2007 6:40 AM
  • Hello there,

I'm also having a similar problem with LNK1104 as a result of uuid.lib cannot be opened.

I do have this uuid.lib file in the SDK lib directory.  However, in the makefile.msvc file I cannot find the reference to this uuid.lib and nonetheless, the linker complains about it.

I was recompiling the Sumatra PDF source when I got this.  Any idea how I could get through with this error will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Kai

Wednesday, August 20, 2008 5:24 PM
  • Hi,

I was having the same problem after installing VC++ 2005 & the Platform SDK. You need to add the SDK libraries' location path to the linker:

Property Pages->All Configurations->Linker->General->Additional Libraries Directory

In my setup the file is located in C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v6.1

A similar operation needs to be done for SDK additional include files as well.

Regards,

JC

Monday, November 10, 2008 6:26 PM
  • It looks like this thread is very old. But anyone else having a linker error on Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition and the error is "LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file 'uuid.lib'", then this is what you have to do:

The uuid.lib can be found in %programfiles%Microsoft Platform SDK for Windows Server 2003 R2\Lib\ if you have SDK installed

Therefore if you're building your project using the Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 IDE itself, go to Projoect->Properties. On the Properties window, click on "linker" drowdown list and then click on General. Add the path above in the section "Additional Library Directories" on the right hand side of the Properties window. This will solve your problem

I hope this helps anyone here.

Friday, August 26, 2011 2:38 PM