"Requests to the MSDN Online server have timed out" error

Question

• VS.NET 2005 Beta 2 with the supplied MSDN Library. I've uninstalled & reinstalled both the MSDN and the entire VS.NET package several times.

*Any* attempt to connect to offine content results in the above error. My only alternative is to work offline exclusively. The error dialog says to press the Help button to get more info, but all that does is pop up a blank screen and the same error again.

Oddly, another machine on my network connects fine, and when I watch my outgoing firewall log I can *see* it trying to connect to 207.46.248.105. There's something on this particular machine that MSDN does not like. I can connect to the MSDN Online site in my browser just fine. I assume that the Viewer is trying to connect to a WebService and that's failing for some reason, but I'm guessing.

Any idea how I can troubleshoot this (or, even better, fix it)?

Brad.
    Tuesday, June 14, 2005 10:47 PM

Answers

• Hmmm... this is a curious issue.  Did you by any chance have Visual Studio Beta 1 on the same machine that you now have Beta 2 on?  We've seen some weird issues in that case.  There are some instructions and a tool that we've seen alleviate some of the weird behavior:

http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/vs2005/get/vsbeta2installissues/default.aspx

If that doesn't help, please post back and we'll continue to investigate!

Thanks,
    Jeremy Jones
    Program Manager, VS Help & Community
    Saturday, June 18, 2005 6:25 PM