none
Reg: Database Restor in analysis services configured in tabular mode.

Question

• Hi Team, 

Here is my question:

We have two diffenernt modes of ANALYSIS SERVICES 1. MULTIDIMENSIONAL 2. TABULAR model.

Now, I have installed my analysis services in tabular mode. But, i am unable to restore a database which was built in ultidimensional mode. So, can you people please help me out in restoring the database in tabular mode. i.e., can you people please provide me a link to download a sample tabular database and also please tell me how to restore it.

Thank you.

Friday, September 13, 2013 12:20 PM

Answers

• Hi Venkatesh,

Hope you are doing great.

First of all thank you for your reply, you are correct but, i am working on performance point services in SHAREPOINT in that ANALYSIS services should configured in tabular mode only, multidimensional is not accepted. So, what i want is i want to convert an existing multidimensional cube to a tabular mode. so, can you please help me in this process?

Thank you.

Hi NB515,

Because Tabuar is the newer soltion, it does not supersede multidimensional, and the two formats are not interchangeable. So, we need to consider design the new Tabular model soltion.

For more information, please refer to the article below:
    Comparing Tabular and Multidimensional Solutions (SSAS): http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh212940.aspx

Best Regards,

Elvis Long
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, September 16, 2013 9:57 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Tabular is the newer solution, you might think that migrating an existing multidimensional solution to a tabular format is the correct course of action, but this is usually not the case.

Tabular does not supersede multidimensional, and the two formats are not interchangeable.Unless you have a specific reason to do so, do not rebuild an existing multidimensional solution if it is already meeting the needs of your organization.

So, for new projects, consider the tabular approach. It will be faster to design, test, and deploy; and it will work better with the latest self-service BI applications from Microsoft.

Thanks & Regards

Venkatesh

Friday, September 13, 2013 12:34 PM
  • Hi Venkatesh,

First of all thank you for your reply, you are correct but, i am working on performance point services in SHAREPOINT in that ANALYSIS services should configured in tabular mode only, multidimensional is not accepted. So, what i want is i want to convert an existing multidimensional cube to a tabular mode. so, can you please help me in this process?

Thank you.

Friday, September 13, 2013 12:47 PM
  • Hi Venkatesh,

Thank you.

Hi NB515,

Because Tabuar is the newer soltion, it does not supersede multidimensional, and the two formats are not interchangeable. So, we need to consider design the new Tabular model soltion.

For more information, please refer to the article below:
    Comparing Tabular and Multidimensional Solutions (SSAS): http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh212940.aspx

Best Regards,

Elvis Long
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, September 16, 2013 9:57 AM