How to share your feedback on the new design

Question

• Thank you everyone who has provided feedback into this forum so far. We appreciate the feedback and are actively prioritizing it accordingly. We are monitoring the suggestions and bugs and are currently working to make improvements based on feedback that has already been provided.

In order to help us make further improvements to this new design, please take the following action:

• If you have a suggestion for the redesigned Forums please post these to Suggestions and Feedback for the Forums. Please limit one suggestion per post and we encourage users to vote up suggestions to bring attention to the Forums team.
    • If you encounter bugs please continue to post bugs in the Forums Issues forum.
    • If you have additional questions or comments about the redesign, this forum is the place to post.

Again, thank you for your feedback and know that your voice is being heard.

Forums Program Manager

Thursday, June 20, 2013 11:04 PM
    Administrator

All replies

• So, when do we expect to have forums operational again? Is a possibility of reverting the changes being considered?

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

My TechNet articles

Thursday, June 20, 2013 11:52 PM
  • Also, I already created a TechNet WiKi article that combines many of the suggestions

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/17968.new-forums-design-suggestions-impressions-ideas.aspx

You may want to add your estimates into that article or comments

My blog

My TechNet articles

Thursday, June 20, 2013 11:58 PM
  • The Wiki article Naomi linked is featured in this blog post:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/wikininjas/archive/2013/06/20/community-win-new-forum-design.aspx

Richard Mueller - MVP Directory Services

Friday, June 21, 2013 12:08 AM
  • The best improvement is to revert to the previous very excellent MSDN forums UI. Thanks.

Kalman Toth Database & OLAP Architect sqlusa.com
    New Book / Kindle: Exam 70-461 Bootcamp: Querying Microsoft SQL Server 2012

Friday, June 21, 2013 12:38 AM
  • My sentiments exactly. Let's see what Bryant responses on this proposition.

My blog

My TechNet articles

Friday, June 21, 2013 1:52 AM
  • Kalman, we understand that these are significant changes and may require a little bit of time to adjust having been so active in the older design. We hope that all of you continue to provide feedback and do realize that we are listening to it since it truly is valuable! We are make the appropriate modifications and updates which I hope is confirmed with yesterdays hotfix. Thanks!

Forums Program Manager

Friday, June 21, 2013 5:17 PM
    Administrator
  • In this article http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/17968.new-forums-design-suggestions-impressions-ideas.aspx I attempted to add links to the voting threads in the Suggestions forum. Please help me add the voting threads and see if some suggestions are repeated or not.

I also ask for some help with TOC (didn't work for me for some reason) and formatting of this article.

I hope it will be helpful to keep track of the community requests.

My blog

My TechNet articles

Friday, June 21, 2013 5:30 PM
  • Awesome! Thank you Naomi for doing this. This is extremely helpful in allowing us to consume the feedback and gives us more time to process and make the appropriate changes. 

Forums Program Manager

Friday, June 21, 2013 5:45 PM
    Administrator
  • After being away a few days from the forum after the SS Titanic Design Ship sailed....

I still see nothing has changed and nothing works for me.

And...to be honest...when i read PR Spin and Marketing Hyperbole like "Thanks for the feedback", "You are being heard", etc, i tend to be skeptical....especially given that the since the forums where destroyed (er, given a UX makeover) nothing has changed.

- will

Friday, June 21, 2013 9:13 PM
  • Will, yesterday we deployed a hotfix in response to several of the feedback items which were announced in THIS THREAD.

Forums Program Manager

Friday, June 21, 2013 9:32 PM
    Administrator
  • Hi all,

the new forum looks usable but I still cannot fid a way how to setup RSS. Can somebody help?

Saturday, June 22, 2013 1:55 PM
  • Hi Bryant,

Bill Gates pushed the Windows graphical user's interface with icons for 2 decades! Now since he is gone, it is OK to go back to the ASCII terminal look of 1970-s?

What was wrong with these icons? They are beautiful, small and functional.

Why is the ancient huge block ASCII terminal look better?

• Edited by Kalman Toth Sunday, June 23, 2013 9:09 AM Image link
    Saturday, June 22, 2013 10:14 PM
  • Kalman, I agree wholeheartedly. See my new TechNet article and you're welcome to add to it

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/18057.my-impressions-about-forum-s-re-design.aspx

My blog

My TechNet articles

• Edited by Naomi N Sunday, June 23, 2013 3:53 AM typo
    Sunday, June 23, 2013 3:53 AM
  • I wish we could get some statistics - the number of postings seem they have dropped by more than 50%, and that's a conservative estimate.

This is my main resource to come to to get technical assistance on issues. 

This is a worry, come on Microsoft, you are killing this place.

Thanks! Josh

Sunday, June 23, 2013 11:02 PM
  • the number of postings seem they have dropped by more than 50%, and that's a conservative estimate.

Yes, it is - I would estimate a drop of about 80%...

Martin

NO THEY ARE NOT EVIL, if you know what you are doing: Good or bad GPOs?
    And if IT bothers me - coke bottle design refreshment :))

Restore the forum design - contribute some CSS if you can! User-defined CSS-style for the epic failure in Technet Forums

Monday, June 24, 2013 9:24 PM
  • I wish we could get some statistics - the number of postings seem they have dropped by more than 50%, and that's a conservative estimate.

I did a count of T-SQL threads on FRI 22 vs 39 a year ago.

This is how you get back a year:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sqlserver/en-US/home?forum=transactsql&sort=lastpostdesc&brandIgnore=true&page=550 

Monday, June 24, 2013 9:50 PM
  • Kalman, we understand that these are significant changes and may require a little bit of time to adjust having been so active in the older design. We hope that all of you continue to provide feedback and do realize that we are listening to it since it truly is valuable! We are make the appropriate modifications and updates which I hope is confirmed with yesterdays hotfix. Thanks!

Forums Program Manager

"...may require a little bit of time to adjust having been so active in the older design." That sounds as if it translates to, "If we ignore your wishes long enough eventually you'll get used to the changes you so despise and stop bugging us about it." We don't want to "adjust" to these changes. We want our wishes to be addressed. Without us, without your MVPs, MCCs, and active participants enthusiastically offering their time and expertise, these forums are nothing. As "Forums Program Manager," you ignore our wishes at your peril.

"Listening to" feedback and "taking action" in response to that feedback are two entirely different matters. I hope that you have discerned by now that these issues are not going away, and that many of us are spending the time that we used to spend supporting our areas of expertise in fighting against these unilaterally imposed and heartily loathed changes to the forums user experience. The best way to encourage us to go back to the trenches is to address our concerns, as soon as possible. Thank you.

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.

Monday, June 24, 2013 10:12 PM
  •  The best way to encourage us to go back to the trenches is to address our concerns, as soon as possible. Thank you.

Or just give us back the old design until proper testing of this new UX can be done.

Please. Once more - PLEASE.

Monday, June 24, 2013 10:16 PM
  • Using the same method in 2 TechNet Forums, I find "The Scripting Guy's" forum had 15 replies on Friday, June 22, 2012, but 8 replies Friday, June 21, 2013. For the "Windows Server General" forum the numbers were 27 in 2012, 19 in 2013.

To be fair, you probably should look at all forums over a period of maybe a week. And you would want to not consider the "Forums Issues" and "Forums Redesign" forums, which have a recent spike.

Monday, June 24, 2013 10:31 PM

• Or just give us back the old design until proper testing of this new UX can be done.

Please. Once more - PLEASE.

I want to clarify this statement a bit. I am not saying that the forums need to revert to the old design indefinitely. I have actually been getting used to the new design, and I believe it can be salvaged with some large changes (first and foremost the color scheme!). Still though, I believe that it is quite obvious that there are very glaring issues with this design as is, and that is enough justification to roll back. There is no shame in it, and it is the right thing to do for your users. Someone has to be the first to speak up to whoever makes the decisions on the forums, so please, anyone who can start this conversation - please do it.

My guess is that you'll end up receiving much better feedback on this new design if the old design is returned for now and this design left open for any user who wishes to beta test it.
    Monday, June 24, 2013 10:46 PM
  • Using the same method in 2 TechNet Forums, I find "The Scripting Guy's" forum had 15 replies on Friday, June 22, 2012, but 8 replies Friday, June 21, 2013. For the "Windows Server General" forum the numbers were 27 in 2012, 19 in 2013.

To be fair, you probably should look at all forums over a period of maybe a week. And you would want to not consider the "Forums Issues" and "Forums Redesign" forums, which have a recent spike.

+1. I have noticed significant drop in number of threads; especially in Windows Server General forum.

Regards, Santosh

I do not represent the organisation I work for, all the opinions expressed here, are my own.

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Blog | Wiki

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 3:03 AM
  • I have two comments

1. When I try to edit a previous response I get this error (no matter what the edit is).

2. Previously you could see who proposed or marked an answer. This does not seem to be available any more.

Other than that - it's OK

Gerry Hampson | Blog: www.gerryhampsoncm.blogspot.ie | LinkedIn: Gerry Hampson | Twitter: @gerryhampson

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 6:44 PM
  • HORRIBLE!

I am writing a long answer to the forum and just before the submitting the message THE PAGE WAS EXPIRED...

Anyone else affected by this behavior or is it just mine specialty?

Wednesday, June 26, 2013 1:01 PM
  • I haven't yet noticed this behavior.

My blog

My TechNet articles

Wednesday, June 26, 2013 2:59 PM

Less appealing,

My use has dropped just because I don't like the look and Google spell checker is not compatible for some odd reason which will likely never be A) Be looked at or B) Fixed.

This forums insistence on Enabling DOM storage is another odyssey in it's self and has also curbed helping others because I don't see the point of this type of storage/ No other site insists on DOM storage.

Friday, June 28, 2013 11:20 PM
  • Here's how you can view your own threads for now I suppose. Except for all the ones missing between going to next or previous.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/da5c448f-3545-46a4-926d-44590e1a6d05/this-is-how-to-view-your-own-threads-for-now-i-suppose

You've taught me everything I know but not everything you know. _________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ This search engine is for MSDN Library and has many features. http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Search/en-US?query=search%20msdn%20library&beta=0&ac=8

Friday, June 28, 2013 11:31 PM
  • If you have additional questions or comments about the redesign, this forum is the place to post.

I think, the field below "Asked by" is useless, and should be minimized. It takes too much space for nothing. Overall, focusing on the thread main text is a not so easy reading, as it privously was.

• Edited by yannara Monday, July 01, 2013 7:13 PM quote
    Monday, July 01, 2013 7:11 PM
  • The design rot at Microsoft is spreading. I am not a dog, bring back colour, please. Whilst you are at it, get rid of the nasty 90s icons, too.

Also, where is the forum grouping overview gone?

For example, clicking "System Center - Service Manager Forums" used to take me to all of the SCSM forums and their latest posts. Now I get ALL posts from these forums which is no good for quickly checking what is new in each related forum.

Rob Ford scsmnz.net
    Cireson www.cireson.com
    For a free SCSM 2012 Notify Analyst app click here

• Edited by Rob.Ford Monday, July 01, 2013 9:22 PM typo
    Monday, July 01, 2013 9:22 PM
  • Have you seen the number of negative feedback? In all these threads there were very little positive and most users find this re-design a big hindrance. 

So, why you never answered a simple question - is there a way to revert to the previous design? It is OK for the forum's team to keep working on that new design in the meantime in their test environment.

My blog

My TechNet articles

Tuesday, July 02, 2013 3:40 AM
  • The TechNet Wiki that Naomi created should be used as a bible for those that are supposedly reworking the useless forums that we have now.  I have stopped trying to read threads in the forums I am mainly interested in because they mix platforms.  Windows Embedded questions almost NEVER relate across versions.  What works in XPe does not even exist in WES 7 and what works in WES 7 has very likely been changed in WES 8.  Listing all of those topics on the same page is idiotic and it makes trying to find solutions for the three different OS versions I work in impossible.

Windows XPe has four separate categories.  WES 7 has five and WES 8 has two.  I do not want to open ELEVEN NEW TABS just to keep the question topics separated, ESPECIALLY since all the tabs now just say "MSDN Forums".

Also it is impossible to tell what the status of questions are.  GRAY AND BLUE.  BLUE AND GRAY. GRAY AND BLUE.  BLUE AND GRAY. GRAY AND BLUE.  BLUE AND GRAY. - Note: The Civil War ended in 1865.

PLEASE ADD SOME LOGICAL COLOR SCHEMES!!!!

Can we at LEAST have an answer from the parties responsible for this...[obscenity resisted]?  An answer other than "We're looking at implementing this soon." would most excellent.  What will it take to get even the most fundamental improvements added?  COLORS...TAB TITLES...SEPARATE CATEGORIES...NO REASON NEEDED FOR EDITS... It should be embarrassing to the design team that we even have to ask for this stuff.  To date only ONE CHANGE from the Wiki List has been made.

Tuesday, July 02, 2013 3:55 PM
  • ...NO REASON NEEDED FOR EDITS...

Forgot that, yes, please allow us to make changes without requiring a comment, it's painful

Rob Ford scsmnz.net
    Cireson www.cireson.com
    For a free SCSM 2012 Notify Analyst app click here

Tuesday, July 02, 2013 8:57 PM
  • It seems as if MSFT is looking to kill the forums much in the same way they are killing Windows; with this bullheaded approach to a badly redesigned UI that no one likes or wants.
    Tuesday, July 02, 2013 10:55 PM
  • I'm going back to using the old school newsgroup reader - if that is even still possible. The new forums is completely and utterly useless/hideous. The whole look and feel is just horrible, navigation is worse than bad, and it's amazing the amount of negative feedback versus positive, but yet somehow Microsoft interprets this as universal acceptance of their rotten forums redesign.

Completely screwed the pooch on this, but refuse to admit it. Sad...

A. M. Robinson

Monday, July 08, 2013 1:18 PM
  • I'm going back to using the old school newsgroup reader - if that is even still possible. The new forums is completely and utterly useless/hideous. The whole look and feel is just horrible, navigation is worse than bad, and it's amazing the amount of negative feedback versus positive, but yet somehow Microsoft interprets this as universal acceptance of their rotten forums redesign.

Completely screwed the pooch on this, but refuse to admit it. Sad...

A. M. Robinson

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but the NNTP bridge was killed off. You're stuck with the web interface.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/a532e600-b7dc-4ab1-bfd4-fe4dda7b71f3/the-future-of-the-nntp-bridge-on-msdn

Don't retire TechNet!

Monday, July 08, 2013 1:30 PM
  • Are you fricking kidding me?!?!?!

Seriously...who is running the show over there?!? Do they even realize just how much they are ticking off their target audience???

Thank you Microsoft for essentially backing all of us into a corner

A. M. Robinson

Monday, July 08, 2013 2:26 PM
  • I'm doing comments here because I can't simply not post a new thread. I don't see a button/link to post a new message anywhere. I can only reply.

Many people have already expressed their concern/annoyment about the new layout. I don't need to add to that.

However, apart from that there are serious usability issues that make it impossible for me to continue answering questions in this forum, so I have stopped that. (I mainly overlooked the German IE forum).

I'm still using mostly IE8 and the forum is hellishly slow in IE8. It often becomes unresponsive and I also often get the message about a script running too long. The forum is simply not usable in this form.

I used to use the NNTP bridge, but this was also discontinued as it seems. Although nobody announced it. What's the current stance on that? As of today the Answers bridge has suddenly started to work again, because somebody must have switched on the authentication service again. This may last only for a short time, I don't know. Of course, the authentication against MSDN/Technet works now as well. However, the format of the message responses that come back from the web service has changed significantly, so that the bridge has to fail on them. That shows that nobody really cared if the bridge would be able to handle the responses or not after the redesign. It's not just that the authentication was switched off. "bridgability" got simply killed.

Unfortunately, I don't know if I may may be able to read any responses as showing this thread also takes a hell of a time or may not succeed at all.

IEFAQ: http://iefaq.info

Monday, July 15, 2013 11:35 AM
  • I'm doing comments here because I can't simply not post a new thread. I don't see a button/link to post a new message anywhere. I can only reply.

Many people have already expressed their concern/annoyment about the new layout. I don't need to add to that.

However, apart from that there are serious usability issues that make it impossible for me to continue answering questions in this forum, so I have stopped that. (I mainly overlooked the German IE forum).

I'm still using mostly IE8 and the forum is hellishly slow in IE8. It often becomes unresponsive and I also often get the message about a script running too long. The forum is simply not usable in this form.

I used to use the NNTP bridge, but this was also discontinued as it seems. Although nobody announced it. What's the current stance on that? As of today the Answers bridge has suddenly started to work again, because somebody must have switched on the authentication service again. This may last only for a short time, I don't know. Of course, the authentication against MSDN/Technet works now as well. However, the format of the message responses that come back from the web service has changed significantly, so that the bridge has to fail on them. That shows that nobody really cared if the bridge would be able to handle the responses or not after the redesign. It's not just that the authentication was switched off. "bridgability" got simply killed.

Unfortunately, I don't know if I may may be able to read any responses as showing this thread also takes a hell of a time or may not succeed at all.

IEFAQ: http://iefaq.info

Kai: The new forums have a lot of problems, but they are not this bad. The Ask a Question button should be at the top left in both the forum and single thread view.

I have heard elsewhere that the forums are unusable with IE8. I know you are an IE person, but have you considered using a different browser (FireFox or Chrome perhaps)? I assume you are using XP?

The NNTP bridge has been pronounced dead, but the authentication (the stated reason for its demise) is apparently working again. Many of us suspect that we are not being told the whole truth here, which is a real crime after all the effort that Jochen and you (and many of us) put into it.

David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP

Monday, July 15, 2013 12:28 PM
  • My suggestions:

1) The MSDN style isn't as good as what I saw before (to be honest), I think the original one was letting us go where I want (no language limited). But now it's language limited. I have to cancel language limitation.

2) The main page has mixed a lot of elements together.

3) The purposed and marked answers aren't sensible at all.

4) I hope you can learn from www.asp.net, I like that style. Of course, combination with your MSDN advantages is a very good choice.

Click For donating:Free Rice For the poor
    For spamming-sender issues, you can either report it at Microsoft Spamming Issue, or just find "Report Spam Here+Number" at Forum Issue;You can also find "Verify Your Account+Number" at "Forum Issue", where you can submit to be confirmed to paste links or images.
    For more things to talk about? StackOverFlow is your choice.

Friday, October 25, 2013 3:07 AM
  • Hi,

I want to comment about the Syntactic highlighting of code snippets especially those for C#.

There are currently some issues with the coloring of the words.

For those of us who are used to using Visual Studio, there are conflicting colors that might need to be seen to.

For Example:

In Visual Studio, Comments are highlighted in Green and Strings are Highlighted in Red-Orange

Visual Studio - 

Colors in Visual Studio

But in the forums - 

//This is the color of the comment in Visual Studio
      "This Is The color of a String in Visual Studio"

Another Example:

Visual Studio - 

Colors

In the Forums - 

private string CalculateTotalPrice()
            {
                decimal finalTotalPrice = 0;
                try
                {
                finalTotalPrice =
                    dgvTransactionData.ItemsSource.Cast<DataRowView>()
                        .Sum(rowView => (decimal) rowView["Total Item Price"]);

}
                catch (Exception exception)
                {
                Dal.ErrorMessage(exception);
                }
                return finalTotalPrice.ToString("C");
            }

I think that these are important to people who review code as it can easily become confusing what the text is if you not already used to the forums.

From, Nathaniel Peiffer

From, Nathaniel Peiffer

Saturday, January 18, 2014 6:54 AM
  • Nathaniel,

I agree with you. The colors of comments and strings are reversed on other languages, not only in C#.

My blog

My TechNet articles

Sunday, January 19, 2014 1:20 AM
  • Also there are other coloring errors as you can see in my examples

From, Nathaniel Peiffer

Monday, January 20, 2014 9:13 AM
  • For color question and code formation problem, until now we have to download the VS-addin——Productivity Power Tools and directly do Html paste;)

Still hope MS can fix that.

ASP.NET Questions
    Other Discussions
    FreeRice Donate
    Issues to report
    Free Tech Books Search

Tuesday, January 21, 2014 4:50 AM