Cannot create database connection.

Question

• Hi there,

I'v got into some problems since i updated my VS from 2005 to 2008.

In VS2005 I had no problems creating SQL server connections in the Server Explorer, but in VS2008 I get this message when I try to save a new SQL connection:

Unable to add data connection.
    Could not find a part of the path 'c:\Programmer\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\DBPro\Microsoft.VisualStudio.TeamSystem.Data.SqlViewExtensions.xml'. at DataViewSupport(4,3)

I'm using "Microsoft Visual Studio Team System 2008 Development Edition" but, havn't installed any Team Foundation Server on my network.

What am I missing?

Regards

Jan

Wednesday, February 06, 2008 2:37 PM

Answers

• Do you have the Database Edition installed?

It seems you only have Developer Edition installed, in which case this XML file does not exist. It must be incorrectly in your Registry please look at:

On 32-bit:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\VisualStudio\9.0\DataProviders\{91510608-8809-4020-8897-FBA057E22D54}

On 64-bit:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\VisualStudio\9.0\DataProviders\{91510608-8809-4020-8897-FBA057E22D54}

REG_SZ: TSDataViewExtensions

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\DBPro\Microsoft.VisualStudio.TeamSystem.Data.SqlViewExtensions.xml

If you do not have the Database Edition installed it is same to remove the TSDataViewExtensions value

If that does not solve the problem, also check the same value in the HKEY_CURRENT_USER hive, since it seems the value gets copied to the users hive as well.

-GertD

Monday, February 18, 2008 1:03 AM

All replies

• Hi Jan!

A little more info please. Have you looked to see if the xml file in question is actually at the location indicated by the error message?

My team owns the XML file in question, but not the Server Explorer itself. Let's see if we can narrow the scope a bit.

Thanks!

Thursday, February 07, 2008 12:11 AM
  •  

Jan -

We are still waiting on information from you.  If we don’t hear from you in the next seven days, we will delete the thread.  We do this to keep the system full of useful information for customers searching for answers and focus expert attention on active unanswered questions.

Thursday, February 14, 2008 7:32 PM
  • Do you have the Database Edition installed?

It seems you only have Developer Edition installed, in which case this XML file does not exist. It must be incorrectly in your Registry please look at:

On 32-bit:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\VisualStudio\9.0\DataProviders\{91510608-8809-4020-8897-FBA057E22D54}

On 64-bit:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\VisualStudio\9.0\DataProviders\{91510608-8809-4020-8897-FBA057E22D54}

REG_SZ: TSDataViewExtensions

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\DBPro\Microsoft.VisualStudio.TeamSystem.Data.SqlViewExtensions.xml

If you do not have the Database Edition installed it is same to remove the TSDataViewExtensions value

If that does not solve the problem, also check the same value in the HKEY_CURRENT_USER hive, since it seems the value gets copied to the users hive as well.

-GertD

Monday, February 18, 2008 1:03 AM
  • Wicked, worked at last. I reckon this is the result of having previously had database edition, then removed and replaced with developer edition.
    Sunday, May 23, 2010 8:08 PM