none
Coordinating multiple VPL diagrams

Question

• I am working on a VPL diagram for a project we work on. This diagram handles some pick and place logic. i now want to make another VPL diagram for another project and hook it into my first diagram.

Basically i need to know of a way to run a second VPL diagram with different services that can use the first diagram's services to communicate with. Another thing i experience with this is that i cannot start 2 different VPL diagrams, so i might just be approaching this the wrong way.

So in short: I want 2 seperate VPL diagrams/projects, be able to run them seperately, and communicate between them.

Tuesday, October 22, 2013 8:45 AM

Answers

• One possibility is to Build > Compile as a Service one VPL diagram and then use from another.

If you're really wanting to host them in separate processes then you'll have some plumbing to do (ServiceForwarder, etc. - e.g. the link in my other reply). I would seriously suggest not trying to do this all in VPL, but instead use VPL as a relatively thin facade and last-mile "glue" layer atop regular services if that's the UI your operators expect or for whatever other reason.

Wednesday, November 06, 2013 6:47 PM

All replies

• Do you have to use VPL? If not - then I'd recommend not using VPL at all - use C#, for anything other than most trivial things - VPL diagrams will quickly become more cumbersome to maintain and debug.

Monday, October 28, 2013 9:41 AM
  • Yes i have to use VPL, because of the idea behind our whole setup. If i was able to do everything in C# it would be a whole other story ;)
    Monday, October 28, 2013 1:51 PM
  • Ken, not answering your question here, but just curious, why do you have to use VPL, that is, what is the forcing factor?

Monday, October 28, 2013 9:30 PM
  • VPL is the whole forcing factor in our setup and the way we handle/are going to handle our robot lines. This is because our whole framework is VPL based.
    Tuesday, October 29, 2013 8:10 AM
  • I would agree with Greg. It is easy to very quickly outgrow VPL. I would use it only for the "last mile" if at all; coordinating heavy-lifting services having been written in C# (or other .NET language).

More to your question, perhaps this tutorial discussing coordination across multiple DSS nodes will help: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb483059.aspx

Tuesday, October 29, 2013 7:06 PM
  • One possibility is to Build > Compile as a Service one VPL diagram and then use from another.

If you're really wanting to host them in separate processes then you'll have some plumbing to do (ServiceForwarder, etc. - e.g. the link in my other reply). I would seriously suggest not trying to do this all in VPL, but instead use VPL as a relatively thin facade and last-mile "glue" layer atop regular services if that's the UI your operators expect or for whatever other reason.

Wednesday, November 06, 2013 6:47 PM