How do i add values to State dropdown for a Bug in VS TFS 2010

Question

• Hi, I'm using Visual Studio TFS 2010. I have created a new bug and found that only 3 values are listed in the State drop-down ( Approved, New, Removed). but i need to add values like Active, Resolved, Closed to this drop=down. Please help me to know how to add these values. Thanks!
    Monday, May 09, 2011 7:20 AM

Answers

• Hi vatsa1979,

Thanks for your post!

You can use TFS 2010 Power Tools to implement this. You can download the lastest version of TFS 2010 Power Tools from here.

After you install TFS 2010 Power Tools, there will be a item Process Editor under the Tools menu, you can open Tools->Open WIT from Server, select your TFS server and the team project, and then select Bug work item type.

Please perform the following steps:

1.       Click the Workflow tab. You should see the WITDesigner tools in the Visual Studio Toolbox. If the toolbox is not visible, click Toolbox from the Visual Studio View menu.

2.       To create a new state, drag a state from the WITDesigner toolbox and drop it in the Workflow window.

3.       To create a transition between two states, click the Transition Link in the WITDesigner toolbox, click on the starting state and then click on the ending state.

4.       To indicate the initial state (that is, the state of a newly-created work item), click Transition Link, click on a blank part of the diagram, and then click on the initial state. This creates a transition that has no source. There should only be one such transition on the diagram.

For more information about the Process Editor, you can from Stat->All Programs->Microsoft Team Foundation Server 2010 Power Tools->Help. Refer to How to: Edit the Workflow of a Work Item Type

Hope it helps!

Cathy Kong [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by vatsa1979 Thursday, May 12, 2011 5:01 AM
    Tuesday, May 10, 2011 3:33 AM

All replies

• Hi vatsa1979,

Thanks for your post!

You can use TFS 2010 Power Tools to implement this. You can download the lastest version of TFS 2010 Power Tools from here.

After you install TFS 2010 Power Tools, there will be a item Process Editor under the Tools menu, you can open Tools->Open WIT from Server, select your TFS server and the team project, and then select Bug work item type.

Please perform the following steps:

1.       Click the Workflow tab. You should see the WITDesigner tools in the Visual Studio Toolbox. If the toolbox is not visible, click Toolbox from the Visual Studio View menu.

2.       To create a new state, drag a state from the WITDesigner toolbox and drop it in the Workflow window.

3.       To create a transition between two states, click the Transition Link in the WITDesigner toolbox, click on the starting state and then click on the ending state.

4.       To indicate the initial state (that is, the state of a newly-created work item), click Transition Link, click on a blank part of the diagram, and then click on the initial state. This creates a transition that has no source. There should only be one such transition on the diagram.

For more information about the Process Editor, you can from Stat->All Programs->Microsoft Team Foundation Server 2010 Power Tools->Help. Refer to How to: Edit the Workflow of a Work Item Type

Hope it helps!

Cathy Kong [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by vatsa1979 Thursday, May 12, 2011 5:01 AM
    Tuesday, May 10, 2011 3:33 AM
  • Hi Cathy,

I really appreciate you for answering my question. I have followed the steps given by you and found it is working fine for me and really helpful.

Will keep posting :-)

Thank you so much!!

Thursday, May 12, 2011 5:03 AM