none
Linker Warning LNK4099 PDB file missing

Question

• Hi all,

I have an embedded visual C++ (WinCe) project in visual studio 2005 (8).  I've been compiling this with no issues.  As soon as I added a RC file to add some version information into the executable I recieved the following warnings:

Warning 1 warning LNK4099: PDB 'libbmtd.pdb' was not found with 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\ce\lib\ARMV4I\LIBCMTD.lib' or at 'c:\Local Development\Visual C# 2005 Projects\StatusMWS\SCCECamera\Windows Mobile 5.0 Pocket PC SDK (ARMV4I)\Debug\libbmtd.pdb'; linking object as if no debug info LIBCMTD.lib 

Warning 2 warning LNK4099: PDB 'libbmtd.pdb' was not found with 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\ce\lib\ARMV4I\LIBCMTD.lib' or at 'c:\Local Development\Visual C# 2005 Projects\StatusMWS\SCCECamera\Windows Mobile 5.0 Pocket PC SDK (ARMV4I)\Debug\libbmtd.pdb'; linking object as if no debug info LIBCMTD.lib 

The lib file is microsofts and although I can find variations of the PDB file I cannot find any for the pocket PC versions?  As far as I know these must of never existed but why is the linker complaining about it now?

I know they are just warnings and that I could live without the debug info on this lib but its annoying to have these messages.  I know I can surpress the use of DB but can I do this on a per object basis?

Any advice help would be appreciated.

Thanks

NozFx 

Thursday, May 10, 2007 1:08 PM

Answers

• Hi,

This is a bit of a known issue. I can't quite find a really good blog post I found on this subject a while ago, but you will see references in these forums about it. for example http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=189726&SiteID=1.

In general these are safe to ignore.

Hope it helps,

Christopher Fairbairn

Friday, May 11, 2007 3:16 AM
  • With Visual Studio 2005, this warning goes away (at least for me) by changing the Code Generation + Buffer Security Check to "No / Off". I suppose there is a trade-off for buffer overflows, but I dislike warning messages I can't validly fix.

Wednesday, August 15, 2007 4:14 PM

All replies

• Hi,

This is a bit of a known issue. I can't quite find a really good blog post I found on this subject a while ago, but you will see references in these forums about it. for example http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=189726&SiteID=1.

In general these are safe to ignore.

Hope it helps,

Christopher Fairbairn

Friday, May 11, 2007 3:16 AM
  • With Visual Studio 2005, this warning goes away (at least for me) by changing the Code Generation + Buffer Security Check to "No / Off". I suppose there is a trade-off for buffer overflows, but I dislike warning messages I can't validly fix.

Wednesday, August 15, 2007 4:14 PM
  • Hi I_d_allan,

Thanks for your reply.  I might do this because I agree with you.  Its not clean to have compiler warnings.  I do not wish to disable all warnings as a fix as they let you know when something just isn't really right.  I may think I'm a great developer  but a great developer certainly admits they are not perfect and cannot know everything.

Thanks

NozFx

Friday, August 24, 2007 9:59 AM
  •  

Sadly when you are building more than one project in a solution these warnings really add up. Ignoring them is just grounds for letting other warnings sneak in in the midst of these ones. Is there any way for microsoft to just make this file available for download so I can build without errors? (Yeah, I consider wanrings errors) When is SP2 coming out so I can have clean code? It's like spikes in my eyeballs to watch all these warnings go by...
    Monday, December 10, 2007 8:25 PM
  •  

Dear all,

I discovered another reason for this problem, and I think I could be solution for this problem.

Make sure that the .lib and .pdb files are consistent, generated from the same building process.

I suffered from that when both files were not matching 100%.
    Thursday, October 16, 2008 1:24 PM