VS 2010 RC Is there an easy way to download local help for more than one computer?

Question

• I'm currently trialling VS2010 RC at a site with a fairly slow internet connection, and thus want to use local help.  I've downloaded help for one installation - this is working significantly better than Beta 2.  Is there an easy way to copy this for use by another installation without downloading it all over again?  The only .msha files I can find appear to relate to help on help. 
    Wednesday, February 10, 2010 4:28 PM

Answers

• If you downloaded the full DVD layout, you should have the 'Product Documentation' folder in it, which will have the content packages and the MSHA file. If you installed VS directly from the cloud, I can recommend an unsupported way of doing this.

On the other machine, which does not have help content installed locally, please follow the below steps.

1. Launch Help Library Manager and set your offline content installation path to the same path as the one on the machine where you installed local content. The default path is %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Microsoft\HelpLibrary.
    2. Now, copy %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Microsoft\HelpLibrary\*.* (or which ever path you configured on the machine where you installed the content) from the machine which has the content installed to the same path in the machine which does not have the content installed.

Please note that this is not a supported scenario and so, I recommend taking a backup before proceeding with the above steps.

Charles
    • Marked as answer by Figo Fei Tuesday, February 16, 2010 2:21 AM
    Wednesday, February 10, 2010 5:40 PM
  • mikestre,

If you are talking about having your content store on a network share then this isn't supported.  There is a description of why this isn't supported at http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd264831.aspx under the "Setting the Location of Offline Content" section. 

• Marked as answer by Figo Fei Thursday, May 06, 2010 8:21 AM
    Wednesday, May 05, 2010 5:22 PM

All replies

• If you downloaded the full DVD layout, you should have the 'Product Documentation' folder in it, which will have the content packages and the MSHA file. If you installed VS directly from the cloud, I can recommend an unsupported way of doing this.

On the other machine, which does not have help content installed locally, please follow the below steps.

1. Launch Help Library Manager and set your offline content installation path to the same path as the one on the machine where you installed local content. The default path is %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Microsoft\HelpLibrary.
    2. Now, copy %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Microsoft\HelpLibrary\*.* (or which ever path you configured on the machine where you installed the content) from the machine which has the content installed to the same path in the machine which does not have the content installed.

Please note that this is not a supported scenario and so, I recommend taking a backup before proceeding with the above steps.

Charles
    • Marked as answer by Figo Fei Tuesday, February 16, 2010 2:21 AM
    Wednesday, February 10, 2010 5:40 PM
  • Thanks, Charles.  I hadn't realised that the help files were in the .iso.
    Thursday, February 11, 2010 2:21 PM
  • I wrote small utility for creating Visual Studio 2010 MSDN Library offline installation - http://vshelpdownloader.codeplex.com
    May be will be helpful
    SDE, Lime Systems
    Monday, March 15, 2010 12:10 AM
  • In addition to the original question, is it a supported scenario to install the help on a network share? I have installed the help in the Public folder of my Windows Home Server shared folders. If I set this location for an install on another system, it appears that the current content is not recognised. I recently tried installing the Help PowerTool, but it gives an error that it can't read the "queryManifest.5.xml" even though it is (correctly) located in the "manifest" sub-folder

Wednesday, May 05, 2010 7:17 AM
  • mikestre,

If you are talking about having your content store on a network share then this isn't supported.  There is a description of why this isn't supported at http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd264831.aspx under the "Setting the Location of Offline Content" section. 

• Marked as answer by Figo Fei Thursday, May 06, 2010 8:21 AM
    Wednesday, May 05, 2010 5:22 PM
  • Monday, May 17, 2010 11:05 PM
  • Alex this downloader is very cool. Nice job.

It's just nice to see a list of all books that Charles Christian and his team have uploaded so far to the MS site.

Download seems to grab the selected packages and provides a single MSHA file to install. Nice.

Not clear  to me what "Load Books" button does?

Does this just refresh the treeview list?

Actually on my Win7 box this just gives me an unhandled exception.

Thanks
    Rob

Rob Chandler http://Helpware.net
    Tuesday, May 18, 2010 4:40 AM