none
Hide subtotal for a child group in tablix

Question

• Hi All,

I have a tablix control as shown in the screenshot below. The first group is on department(parent group) and the second group is on Account(child group). I have setup the Account group to be hidden and can be toggled by Department. So when I first run the report, I only see Department and then when I click on the “+” sign I see all the accounts for that department which is what I want. However, when I first run the report, I see the numbers at department level and then the subtotal line for Accounts(shown with red arrow in the screen shot below) which is redundant.

Is there a way to hide the subtotal for Accounts when the Account is not expanded? In other words, I want to hide the sub-total for Account until the users clicks on the + sign next to department to see the accounts. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thursday, September 26, 2013 3:43 PM

Answers

• Hi Sam,

According to your description, it seems that you want to hide the subtotal for Account_Name when the Account_Name group is not expanded. While when we click the (+) sign on the Department_Name, we can see the subtotal. In Reporting Service, we can add a subtotal of a group after or below the group, and it would be included in the parent group. In your scenario, the total of Account_Name group should be inside the Department_Name group. So maybe there are some wrong actions when you add the subtotal.

After testing it in my own environment, we can refer to the following steps to achieve your requirement:

1. Right-click the Account_Name group to add a total –After in the Row Groups pane.
    2. Right-click the Department_Name group to add a total –After in the Row Groups pane.
    3. Right-click the subtotal row to open the Row Visibility dialog box, choose Hide, click the checkbox for Display can be toggled by this report item, and select Department_Name in the drop-down list.

The following screenshot is for your reference:
    Design surface:

Result:

If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask.

Thanks,
    Katherine Xiong 

Tuesday, October 01, 2013 4:23 AM

All replies

• Hi, Please refer to this link to resolve your issue.

Hope this helps.

Ione

Thursday, September 26, 2013 5:50 PM
  • Sorry I couldn't follow the article. I can't hard-code the logic to a specific value of the parent.
    Thursday, September 26, 2013 7:10 PM
  • Hi, Well please use the expression below to hide SubTotals by changing the GroupName accordingly.

=count("groupname") < 2

Hope this helps...........

Ione

Thursday, September 26, 2013 9:03 PM
  • Hi Sam,

According to your description, it seems that you want to hide the subtotal for Account_Name when the Account_Name group is not expanded. While when we click the (+) sign on the Department_Name, we can see the subtotal. In Reporting Service, we can add a subtotal of a group after or below the group, and it would be included in the parent group. In your scenario, the total of Account_Name group should be inside the Department_Name group. So maybe there are some wrong actions when you add the subtotal.

After testing it in my own environment, we can refer to the following steps to achieve your requirement:

1. Right-click the Account_Name group to add a total –After in the Row Groups pane.
    2. Right-click the Department_Name group to add a total –After in the Row Groups pane.
    3. Right-click the subtotal row to open the Row Visibility dialog box, choose Hide, click the checkbox for Display can be toggled by this report item, and select Department_Name in the drop-down list.

The following screenshot is for your reference:
    Design surface:

Result:

If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask.

Thanks,
    Katherine Xiong 

Tuesday, October 01, 2013 4:23 AM