convert vb6 to vb.net 2008

Question

• Hi Mr

i have a problem in my project vb6 and need  to convert vb.net 2008..
    how do  i do it mr ??

what are free aplication can help me  ??

so far thnkz before :)
    • Changed type medixsoft Thursday, July 16, 2009 4:19 AM
    Thursday, July 09, 2009 7:46 AM

Answers

• Thank you All for your good suggestions and friendly help.

Hi adhita,

Welcome to MSDN forums!

Usually we upgrade a VB6 project to VB.NET project via the Upgrade Wizard tool that is included with Visual Basic .NET.
    When you upgrade a VB6 project that contains VB6 ActiveX controls, or when you try to use VB6 ActiveX controls in Visual Studio .NET, those controls must be installed and licensed on the target system. (As Paul mentioned)

1.    How to upgrade VB6 project to VB.NET project?

The Upgrade tool that is included with Visual Basic .NET.

This happens automatically when you open a Visual Basic 6.0 project in Visual Basic .NET: the Upgrade Wizard steps you through the upgrade process and creates a new Visual Basic .NET project (your existing project is left unchanged). This is a one-way process; the new Visual Basic .NET project cannot be opened in Visual Basic 6.0.

When your project is upgraded, the language is modified for any syntax changes and your Visual Basic 6.0 Forms are converted to Windows Forms. In most cases, you will have to make some necessary manual adjustments until the code is compliable after it is upgraded. This is required because certain objects and language features either have no equivalent in Visual Basic .NET, or have an equivalent too dissimilar for an automatic upgrade. After the upgrade, you may also want to change your application to take advantage of some of the new features in Visual Basic .NET.

Some tutorial:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa260644.aspx

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/309617/en-us

2.    You receive an error message "You do not have a license to use this control" when you use VB6 controls in Visual Studio .NET or after upgrading VB6 to VB.NET?

When you upgrade a VB6 project that contains VB6 ActiveX controls, or when you try to use VB6 ActiveX controls in Visual Studio .NET, those controls must be installed and licensed on the target system. But Visual Studio .NET don’t install the license information for Visual Basic 6.0 ActiveX controls.

To resolve this problem, you must install the .ocx files for the ActiveX controls on the computer. Use one of the following methods:

1)    Install Visual Basic 6.0 on the computer that is running Visual Studio .NET.

2)    Add the licensing keys to the registry.

Detail KB article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318597/en-us

Best regards,
    Martin Xie

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Marked as answer by medixsoft Thursday, July 16, 2009 4:20 AM
    Monday, July 13, 2009 2:28 AM

All replies

• Basically, if you have VB2008 on your machine, simply start it and then go to MENU - OPEN PROJECT - <your VB6 project (*.vbp file)>.
    The Update Wizard should appear automatically and guide you through the conversion. Depending on your project you might have to add some references afterwards or make some small code corrections manually.
    Listing SPEC's is not a review !!! :-)
    Thursday, July 09, 2009 8:10 AM
  • ow i know mr, but i found message error in process converting ..

this is my error :
    Upgrade Failed : Exception occurred: The Referenced components
    PopupControl
    PopupControl
    are missing design time licenses

please help me mr ...

or are u know what free aplication can do it ??
    Thursday, July 09, 2009 9:42 AM
  • I assume that your project contains some dll / ocx or other library files? You will have to install / register them first in your computer - often it is enough to copy them to the ...Windows/System32 folder but it really depends on the files!
    Listing SPEC's is not a review !!! :-)
    Thursday, July 09, 2009 10:05 AM
  • The VBUW needs to instantiate the components during the migration to read its properties. My theory is that you are getting this exception because, as a piracy measure, many components require you to include a license file or add a registration code before you are able to use them (or at least past a trial period). So a simple registration may not be sufficient, you have to run the installer or add a license manually to get them to work. My guess is that the PopupControl you mention has this requirement.

The way to solve this would be to make sure not only that the component is correctly registered (with regsvr32), but to also make sure it has all the necessary licenses installed.

Jose Aguilar - ArtinSoft Visual Basic Upgrade Companion, the industry-leading tool for the migration of VB6 to .NET.
    Thursday, July 09, 2009 8:06 PM
  • Is Visual Basic 6.0 installed on your machine? This should provide the necessary design-time licenses, assuming that the PopupControl is not a third-party control.

There also is an install that fixes design-time license problems:

FILE: VB6Cli.exe Fixes License Problems with Visual Basic 6.0
    Paul ~~~~ Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)
    Thursday, July 09, 2009 8:30 PM
  • ok all , i can try
    thnkyu very much for your help

c u
    Friday, July 10, 2009 4:39 AM
  • Thank you All for your good suggestions and friendly help.

Hi adhita,

Welcome to MSDN forums!

Usually we upgrade a VB6 project to VB.NET project via the Upgrade Wizard tool that is included with Visual Basic .NET.
    When you upgrade a VB6 project that contains VB6 ActiveX controls, or when you try to use VB6 ActiveX controls in Visual Studio .NET, those controls must be installed and licensed on the target system. (As Paul mentioned)

1.    How to upgrade VB6 project to VB.NET project?

The Upgrade tool that is included with Visual Basic .NET.

This happens automatically when you open a Visual Basic 6.0 project in Visual Basic .NET: the Upgrade Wizard steps you through the upgrade process and creates a new Visual Basic .NET project (your existing project is left unchanged). This is a one-way process; the new Visual Basic .NET project cannot be opened in Visual Basic 6.0.

When your project is upgraded, the language is modified for any syntax changes and your Visual Basic 6.0 Forms are converted to Windows Forms. In most cases, you will have to make some necessary manual adjustments until the code is compliable after it is upgraded. This is required because certain objects and language features either have no equivalent in Visual Basic .NET, or have an equivalent too dissimilar for an automatic upgrade. After the upgrade, you may also want to change your application to take advantage of some of the new features in Visual Basic .NET.

Some tutorial:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa260644.aspx

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/309617/en-us

2.    You receive an error message "You do not have a license to use this control" when you use VB6 controls in Visual Studio .NET or after upgrading VB6 to VB.NET?

When you upgrade a VB6 project that contains VB6 ActiveX controls, or when you try to use VB6 ActiveX controls in Visual Studio .NET, those controls must be installed and licensed on the target system. But Visual Studio .NET don’t install the license information for Visual Basic 6.0 ActiveX controls.

To resolve this problem, you must install the .ocx files for the ActiveX controls on the computer. Use one of the following methods:

1)    Install Visual Basic 6.0 on the computer that is running Visual Studio .NET.

2)    Add the licensing keys to the registry.

Detail KB article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318597/en-us

Best regards,
    Martin Xie

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Marked as answer by medixsoft Thursday, July 16, 2009 4:20 AM
    Monday, July 13, 2009 2:28 AM
  • Hello adhita,

Do these help you? If you have any future questions or concerns, please feel free to let us know.

Wednesday, July 15, 2009 5:36 AM
  • okey mr martin
    my problem is solve

thnkyu very much to all , and especially for you

c u

gbu
    Thursday, July 16, 2009 4:21 AM
  • I know a application vb convert! pro
    Sunday, September 06, 2009 8:38 AM
  • I know a application vb convert! pro

it is not free but you can use trial
    Sunday, September 06, 2009 8:38 AM
  • what is the code if i will going to use the vb 6.0 to create a program that will convert vb6.0 to vb .net2008 or vise versa. thnx
    Wednesday, July 14, 2010 5:29 PM