none
Passing parameters from one report to another without go to action

Question

• Hello everyone, 

I am using SSRS 2008 and was wondering if it's possible to pass a parameter from one report to another without the go to  action?

I have 3 reports; a summary and two detailed ones; D1 and D2. On the summary page whenever a particular field gets clicked, it goes to one of the two detailed reports, passing in a number of parameters. When on the detailed reports page, say D1, there is a drop down. If the user selects a name from that drop down that pertains to D2, and you try to run the report, it always says one of the parameters is missing a value. This makes sense due to what was originally selected. I'm just at a loss in determining how to get this working correctly if that is possible at all. Oh and there isn't a go to action on either of the detailed reports.

Monday, September 30, 2013 5:57 PM

Answers

All replies

• Why not simply trim the list of available parameters for report D1 so that it only contains parameters that pertain to D1, that way the user cannot select parameters in D1 that only pertain to D2

Thanks! Josh

Monday, September 30, 2013 10:45 PM
  • Thanks for replying! Definitely makes sense. But the customers wanted the option to go back and forth. Yet seeing as how it is playing out, may just have to say that'll take a little too much time we don't have and offer your suggestion.  Will see what happens.
    Tuesday, October 01, 2013 12:00 AM
  • Hi Ceejay,

From your description, you want to pass parameters from one report to another without go to action. In Reporting Services, if we want to go to another report, we need to use the "Go to" action. So your requirement cannot be done in Reporting Services currently.

In your scenario, it seems that you use "Go to Report" and pass all the parameters on D1 and D2. So when you can selects a name from that drop down that pertains to D2 on the D1 page. In this case, deploy D1 and D2 to Report Server, and then use "Go to URL" action, and pass the corresponding parameters in D1 and D2 via URL. Please refer to the links below to see the detail steps about how to pass parameters via URL.
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms155391.aspx
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sqlserver/en-US/de8b7774-a766-4454-a817-81cc19bab4a3/help-passing-multiple-parameters-via-a-url-in-ssrs-2008

If I have anything misunderstood, please point it out.

Regards,
    Charlie Liao

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here.

Charlie Liao
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, October 01, 2013 3:07 AM
  • Thanks for replying! Definitely makes sense. But the customers wanted the option to go back and forth. Yet seeing as how it is playing out, may just have to say that'll take a little too much time we don't have and offer your suggestion.  Will see what happens.

It seems to me that you could easily merge D1 and D2 into the same report as well. You can hide report items etc. conditionally - you should be able to solve this without kludges like URL parameters. 

Thanks! Josh

Tuesday, October 01, 2013 4:41 AM
  • Thanks Charlie and Josh. Sorry about not responding sooner. I will try your suggestions if I am given the opportunity to do so. But its good to know there are other ways I didn't think about
    Tuesday, October 08, 2013 11:23 PM