none
Old version of process template used to complete nightly build

Question

• I checked in my build process template on 7/26/2013 at 2:09:38 PM. Then I did a test run of our nightly build by manually triggering it, and all the changes appeared in the log as expected. The nightly build ran at 8:00 PM on 7/26/2013, but for some reason it used the old version of our process template.

Additional Info:

We are running Team Foundation Server 2012 Update 3

We have one build definition with one build process template.

We have one build controller with two agents on separate machines.

What could cause the nightly build to use an old version of the build template, especially when I ran the definition earlier in the day?

Monday, July 29, 2013 3:08 PM

Answers

• Hi Patrick,

Thanks for your reply.

After you refreshed the build process template in build definition, I suggest you tryto clean the Cache for TFS 2012 manually(delete the content of the folder only, not the cache folder itself):

1. Clean the Cache folder on your client computer. The folder path is: C:\Users\username(Team Explorer user name)\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Team Foundation\4.0\Cache. (os: Windows Server 2008 R2)
    2. Clean the Cache folder on Server machine. The folder path is: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Team Foundation\Web Access\Cache_v11.0. (os: Windows Server 2008 R2)
    3. After cleaned, on Server machine, click Start and select Run… to open the dialog box, then input iisreset.exe and click OK, wait it run completely.

John Qiao [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Wednesday, July 31, 2013 1:04 AM

All replies

• Hi Patrick,

Thanks for post.

Try to edit your nightly build definition>>in Process tab>>under build process template section, select your build process template and click Refresh button, then save this build definition.

John Qiao [MSFT]
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Tuesday, July 30, 2013 1:02 PM
  • Hi John,

Thanks for the response. That is what we had done, and it was working, but for some reason it reverted to the old template. What I wanted to know is why it could/would revert to the old template and how we prevent it from doing so in the future.

Thanks,

Patrick Clark | Software Engineer, Software Development, Instrument Engineering | Fisher Valve Divison

Emerson Process Management | 301 South First Avenue | Marshalltown | IA | 50158 | USA

Tuesday, July 30, 2013 8:33 PM
  • Hi Patrick,

Thanks for your reply.

After you refreshed the build process template in build definition, I suggest you tryto clean the Cache for TFS 2012 manually(delete the content of the folder only, not the cache folder itself):

1. Clean the Cache folder on your client computer. The folder path is: C:\Users\username(Team Explorer user name)\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Team Foundation\4.0\Cache. (os: Windows Server 2008 R2)
    2. Clean the Cache folder on Server machine. The folder path is: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Team Foundation\Web Access\Cache_v11.0. (os: Windows Server 2008 R2)
    3. After cleaned, on Server machine, click Start and select Run… to open the dialog box, then input iisreset.exe and click OK, wait it run completely.

John Qiao [MSFT]

Wednesday, July 31, 2013 1:04 AM
  • John,

I cleared the cache and reset everything. We haven't seen the issue since the day I created this thread, so unless it comes up again I'll assume this fix will solve it.

Thanks

Patrick Clark | Software Engineer, Software Development, Instrument Engineering | Fisher Valve Divison

Emerson Process Management | 301 South First Avenue | Marshalltown | IA | 50158 | USA

Friday, August 02, 2013 1:16 PM