none
Future of WebSitePanel?

Answers

• Hi Sam,

Welcome to MSDN forums! :)

WHO/HOW
    Me (Feodor) and several other DNP guys have joined Microsoft to continue working on WebsitePanel as an open-source project.
    At the same time I encourage everyone to participate in WebsitePanel project - you can submit your request for contributions at info@websitepanel.net. We will post more details soon on this topic. If you are not developer you still can contribute to the project by submitting feature requests and bugs.

WHAT
    As before the primary goal of WebsitePanel is to provide the best control panel for Windows platform and we will be planning WebsitePanel releases based on community feature requests. WebsitePanel is a community-driven project and its future is built by you: hosting providers, users, resellers, administrators, developers!
    In a short term we would like to focus on bug fixing, stabilization and supporting some most wanted features.

WHERE
    WebsitePanel source code will remain on SourceForge for now (there is a nice version control system - Subversion), however we've seen a lot of requests from community to transfer forums to better place and we'd like to have all discussions here, at MSDN.

WHEN
    It is taking us a while to gather the team and build the project infrastructure (hey, we've just opened new MSDN forums to collaborate with you guys!).
    In the future we are planning similar releases schedule as we used to have with DNP - new release every couple of months.

Feel free to ask any questions.

Feodor Fitsner - MSFT

Tuesday, August 03, 2010 9:01 PM

All replies

• Hi Sam,

Welcome to MSDN forums! :)

WHO/HOW
    Me (Feodor) and several other DNP guys have joined Microsoft to continue working on WebsitePanel as an open-source project.
    At the same time I encourage everyone to participate in WebsitePanel project - you can submit your request for contributions at info@websitepanel.net. We will post more details soon on this topic. If you are not developer you still can contribute to the project by submitting feature requests and bugs.

WHAT
    As before the primary goal of WebsitePanel is to provide the best control panel for Windows platform and we will be planning WebsitePanel releases based on community feature requests. WebsitePanel is a community-driven project and its future is built by you: hosting providers, users, resellers, administrators, developers!
    In a short term we would like to focus on bug fixing, stabilization and supporting some most wanted features.

WHERE
    WebsitePanel source code will remain on SourceForge for now (there is a nice version control system - Subversion), however we've seen a lot of requests from community to transfer forums to better place and we'd like to have all discussions here, at MSDN.

WHEN
    It is taking us a while to gather the team and build the project infrastructure (hey, we've just opened new MSDN forums to collaborate with you guys!).
    In the future we are planning similar releases schedule as we used to have with DNP - new release every couple of months.

Feel free to ask any questions.

Feodor Fitsner - MSFT

Tuesday, August 03, 2010 9:01 PM
  • Thanks Feodor, this all sounds great and I can't wait to see what the future holds, having the backing of MS can only be a good thing and I am really excited for the possibilities.
    Sam M www.ServWise.com - Using WebsitePanel since before it was a panel. :)
    Tuesday, August 03, 2010 9:09 PM
  • Congratulations Feodor.

I wish you and your eam all the best with this new direction and will be an eager participant.

Best Regards, Morris Fury AFRIDATA.net
    Wednesday, August 04, 2010 5:13 AM
  • This is great news,  Was beginning to get worried.

Hope to see a great future for website panel.

Wednesday, August 04, 2010 7:42 PM
  • Hi,

greetings and all the best for plans to come true! :)

The idea of moving formus out of Sourceforge is a good step, althrough I am wondering why you moved off the phpBB forum-stile, first to Sourceforge (me not like its forums), then to MSDN forums (which I don't like so much either). But ok, everone has its own taste and if you plan staying on MSDN forum, then thumbs up, let's go guys! :)

Also, it would be nice to have posts from old forum and from Surceforge moved here, into MSDN to have all themes in one place. Ok, just a wish.

Anyways, wish you all luck!

Thursday, August 05, 2010 9:38 PM
  • Hi Feodor

To be honest, There was an empty place for WebsitePanel in Windows hosting solutions till now. Now I'm glad to see this software is comming out of DotNetPanel Project with nice architecture with open source use.

Thanks Microsoft to support this project too.

I'd like to ask a feature here. Please consider Right-to-Left pages style in your next releases. You've published Localization Toolkit for translating interface messages, but with Left-to-Right Pages the translated messages will not place in correct position and is tumultuously.

Good luck.

Hossein Tavakkoli
    Monday, August 09, 2010 11:56 AM
  • This is good news. I was beginning to wonder what the future for WSP held and I'm very glad that not only is Feodor is at the helm but that Microsoft is backing the project. It gives me a real confidence boost that the product will continue to grow and improve.
    Tuesday, August 10, 2010 12:53 PM
  • I was all but convinced that Microsoft has puts its official seal of disapproval on small hosting outfits like me that wanted to host Exchange, OCS, Sharepoint, etc. for the SMB market. 

I am encouraged by the move of WSP to open source with support by Microsoft, but much work remains yet to be done.

Congratulations on all that is shaping up to be a great community.

Monday, August 30, 2010 12:25 PM
  • This might well be the first positive action (the action that matters) from Microsoft in last 10 years.

Although Microsoft is still very shy when it comes to opensource and openness.

As said, much work remains yet to be done.

Or else..

Tuesday, August 31, 2010 2:33 AM