none
Disable start menu, desktop, alt tab ect?

Question

• Hey, so I had this idea for my laptop, in which the user is automatically logged ln(using advanced system car 5 pro)and then my app would come up asking for a password. This way I can control the output if they get the password wrong, only problem is, they can alt-tab, press the start key, open task manager ect. How could I disable those temporarily within my app using c#?
    Wednesday, March 20, 2013 12:11 AM

Answers

• You are talking about fooling around with the Explorer which is usually limited in what you can do.  However, it is possible to write code to Win32 APIs if you really want to do this.  

But here's an easy method, you can use a browser window in Kiosk mode and limit what is allowed in the browser.  

Other than that, you are in for a rough ride and may come out on the other side with nothing as the Explorer is at the heart of the system.

JP Cowboy Coders Unite!

• Marked as answer by Bradcross46 Saturday, March 23, 2013 10:55 PM
    Wednesday, March 20, 2013 2:11 AM

All replies

• You are talking about fooling around with the Explorer which is usually limited in what you can do.  However, it is possible to write code to Win32 APIs if you really want to do this.  

But here's an easy method, you can use a browser window in Kiosk mode and limit what is allowed in the browser.  

Other than that, you are in for a rough ride and may come out on the other side with nothing as the Explorer is at the heart of the system.

JP Cowboy Coders Unite!

• Marked as answer by Bradcross46 Saturday, March 23, 2013 10:55 PM
    Wednesday, March 20, 2013 2:11 AM
  • I think the best option would be to run your application as a custom shell replacing explorer. Then it could launch explorer and close after a successful logon. There a quite a few solutions around for doing this search for custom shell or kiosk mode and you should find some walkthroughs.
    Wednesday, March 20, 2013 2:12 AM
  • I don't know how to do that. I'm not a genius at c#, I know the basics and a little more. I'll search for the walkthroughs though.
    Wednesday, March 20, 2013 3:50 PM
  • This is not easy though...

Not sure what is the point for an automatic login process when then you'll ask your own. Also the authentication dialog is replaceable (to support facial recognition or whatever) but this is not something you'll take lightly and this is likely complex (and perhaps not doable using C#).

For now I don't see what is the benefit compared with the usual logon process...

Please always mark whatever response solved your issue so that the thread is properly marked as "Answered".

Wednesday, March 20, 2013 4:00 PM
  • Because, for the output, I want to somehow try and connect to the Internet, and send a email to me, which geographical location, and a picture(taken from webcam), if the person gets the password wrong. If I can somehow control the original login screen, that might also be useful.
    Friday, March 22, 2013 6:16 PM
  • hello,

Refer this link which help you to disable windosw key and other.............

http://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/Filter-windows-keys-and-5ce0aa66

Tarun singh Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights

Friday, March 22, 2013 6:25 PM