none
Importing Excel 2007 spreadsheet into WSS 3.0 -- Error Message

Question

• Hi,

I'm trying to import (Custom Lists >> Import Spreadsheet) into WSS 3.0 and I'm getting the following message: 

Refers to the _layouts

You are not authorized to view this page.  You might not have permissions to view this direcotyr or page using the credentials you supplied. [More stuff here.]

Http ERror 403 - Forbidden

Is this just a permissions problem or is there some other underlying issue?  Should you be able to upload an Excel spreadsheet (with links) into a Custom List?

Thanks!

Thanks! Patti N.
    Wednesday, July 28, 2010 8:39 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for your response.  I can get to the link (with correct domain in it) that you describe above.  It's just that when I browse to a file to upload and click Import, I get the error.  I can create a custom list, no problem with that.  And, I have site admin rights, but they've drastically modified the site admin permissions.  The only option I see under Site Administration is Site Libraries and Lists. 

It's not just .xlsx files.  It's also .xls (97-2003) files. 

I did find an Excel add-in that works okay for importing 97-2003 spreadsheets into SharePoint.  It works okay, but not great.  Here;s the link:  http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb462636(office.11).aspx#Office2007SynchronizeSharePointListfromExcel_Synchronizing

Thanks for your help. 

Thanks! Patti N.
    • Marked as answer by Stanfford Liu Friday, August 06, 2010 7:20 AM
    Friday, July 30, 2010 3:07 PM

All replies

• Hi,

It must be permission issue.

When you access the page in

http://yoursite/_layouts/new.aspx?ListTemplate=SpreadsheetImport&ListBaseType=0&DisplayName=Spreadsheet+Import

and you get the error, is it?

Please check it when you create custom list, can you get the error?

If the same user both got this error, please grant the access as administrator and check again.

Hope this helps

Thanks!

Stanfford

Friday, July 30, 2010 5:11 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your response.  I can get to the link (with correct domain in it) that you describe above.  It's just that when I browse to a file to upload and click Import, I get the error.  I can create a custom list, no problem with that.  And, I have site admin rights, but they've drastically modified the site admin permissions.  The only option I see under Site Administration is Site Libraries and Lists. 

It's not just .xlsx files.  It's also .xls (97-2003) files. 

I did find an Excel add-in that works okay for importing 97-2003 spreadsheets into SharePoint.  It works okay, but not great.  Here;s the link:  http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb462636(office.11).aspx#Office2007SynchronizeSharePointListfromExcel_Synchronizing

Thanks for your help. 

Thanks! Patti N.
    • Marked as answer by Stanfford Liu Friday, August 06, 2010 7:20 AM
    Friday, July 30, 2010 3:07 PM
  • Patti,

Today I ran in to this same problem.  Yesterday I could import/export lists with SharePoint 2007 without any problem.  Today I coud not import and received the same error.  After researching the problem and not finding any "logical" solution, it occurred to me that the problem is not permissions but perhaps the SharePoint Client dll file is corrupt.  This solution worked for me.  So I suggest you try the followng steps:

1.) In Windows Explorer, go to C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12
    2.) Delete owssup.dll
    3.) Run the Office diagnostics by selecting Start > All Programs > Microsoft Office Diagnostics.  This tool will find the missing component and install the "correct" version.

I have found that this solution solves many a problem with IE and SharePoint 2007.

Thanks,

P.Bright

Wednesday, August 11, 2010 4:43 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for the info.  i'll try it the next time I have a problem.  I found the the Export in Excel 2007 works okay.  You just have to initiate it from Excel and not from SharePoint (Import List ...).

Thanks!

Thanks! Patti N.
    Friday, August 27, 2010 8:35 PM