ALT + TAB in Win 8 Remote Desktop

Question

• I used the Metro Remote Desktop and am able to connect to my Windows 7 Professional desktop. However, when I tried to use ALT + TAB to navigate between my open Windows 7 programs, the Windows 8 open programs were displayed instead. I know that I can move between programs using the Windows 7 taskbar, but is there any way I can use the keyboard shortcuts instead?
    Gateway laptop Windows 7 Professional SP1
    Sunday, December 11, 2011 7:56 PM

Answers

All replies

• Please try to explain your issue in more detail, are you trying to work on programs installed in win7 while booted in WDP using Metro Remote Desktop ?
    Irfan
    Tuesday, December 13, 2011 4:58 PM
  • I am remoting from my Windows 8 installation via the tile on the Metro desktop to my Windows 7 Professional computer., On the Win 7 computer, there are several open applications. I would like to be able to alt + tab through the Windows 7 applications, but when I try, I cycle through the Windows 8 apps instead.

When I connect to a remote computer through Windows 7 to another Windows 7 computer, I am able to do this.

Wednesday, December 14, 2011 1:49 AM
  • Hi blegs38552,

sounds interesting to me, this whole idea of being booted in one pc and being able to work on the applications of another. Shall not be able to try it for a few days, let some other guy who has done it, reply to this. Remote Desktop is new to me.

Irfan
    Wednesday, December 14, 2011 4:17 AM
  • It's usually ALT+INSERT, you might want to give that a try.

Other key combos that have slightly different versions under remote desktop are listed on http://www.mydigitallife.info/keyboard-shortcuts-in-remote-desktop-connection-rdc-for-navigation/

• Marked as answer by blegs38552 Wednesday, December 21, 2011 2:09 AM
    Wednesday, December 14, 2011 5:50 AM
  • It's usually ALT+INSERT, you might want to give that a try.

Other key combos that have slightly different versions under remote desktop are listed on <http://www.mydigitallife.info/keyboard-shortcuts-in-remote-desktop-connection-rdc-for-navigation/>
    I am on a Windows 7 machine right now, using remote desktop into an XP Pro virtual machine, and Alt-Tab works normally (I do not have to use Alt-Insert). I suspect that the desktop version of remote desktop on Windows 8 will behave likewise.

Useful link, though.

David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP
    Wednesday, December 14, 2011 11:09 AM
  • Alt + Tab still switches windows in Win 8 when I am remoting to a Win 7 machine. Alt + Ins does behave as suggested above. I agree with Dave in that when I remote from a Win 7 PC, alt + tabbehaves as expected.
    Wednesday, December 21, 2011 2:09 AM