none
XML Schema Editor (Visual Studio 2008 RTM)?

Question

•  

How do I open / find the XML Schema editor in VS2008?  I have an XSD file but it only lets me edit the raw XML in the text editor mode.  In VS2003, we had the ability to switch the editor between visual / text modes.  Having trouble finding the corresponding functionality in VS2008.  Note, this is not a schema for a dataset.

thanks

scottm

Monday, January 07, 2008 9:36 PM

Answers

All replies

• The XML Schema Editor was taken out of VS2008 for various reasons.  We are planning to replace it with a new designer in a future version.

Wednesday, January 09, 2008 11:47 PM
  • The current CTP of the schema designer for 2008 is dated back in august and only works with the beta 2 of VS 2008. When do you plan to have an updated CTP that works with the RTM of VS 2008?

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 5:50 PM
  • Same question for me; I need the editor for the VS2008 RTM

When is it going to be released??????

Monday, January 28, 2008 3:01 PM
  •  Stan Kitsis - MSFT wrote:
    The XML Schema Editor was taken out of VS2008 for various reasons.  We are planning to replace it with a new designer in a future version.

Future version = VS2020? 

Please get a working version (CTP or whatever) out as soon as possible.  I relied a lot on this tool in VS2005 (crash-buggy as it was) for contract-first web service development.  Now, I am forced to the ludicrous alternative of opening VS2005 just for the xsd design view...

Oh and while you are at it, please forward a complain-o-gram to whichever program team owns the web form designer and lets get get multiple-selection of web controls back too. Us enterprise forms guys are just cavemen developers, your modern ways frighten and confuse us.

Thursday, January 31, 2008 10:01 PM
  • While the XML Schema Editor may not be ready for use, I'm more concerned that the XML Editor reports errors that are easily resolved in code with the .NET 2.0 Framework (at least in the VS2008 Beta2 release).

With a schemaset that is file-based, linked in to a project, one XSD file of an ISO standard (ISO 19139 - 60+ files, 7 folders) has includes that have no relative path - because the included files are in the same folder as that file (coverage.xsd). All other imports / includes in the complex schemaset are resolved correctly.

Code Snippet

<include schemaLocation="feature.xsd"/>

<include schemaLocation="valueObjects.xsd"/>

<include schemaLocation="grids.xsd"/>

<include schemaLocation="geometryAggregates.xsd"/>

The wavy line under the word include cannot be shown here, in the snippet that I have pasted. My project's code to load all schemas from a top or starting file is unexceptional - just schemaSet.Add - and it's automatically resolved.

Having said all that, I'm not sure if VS2008 RTM's XML Editor is misbehaved.

And I certainly would love to see a new release of the XML Schema Editor.

Tuesday, February 05, 2008 1:16 AM
  • Hi Ian,

As I've mentioned in another thread (http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2777529&SiteID=1), that schema contains a few errors (empty choice and referencing schematron namespace which wasn't imported).  When you fix them, the Editor will not complain about included files.

Tuesday, February 05, 2008 11:43 PM
  • Hello Stan

You're right - I have been changing this troublesome schema file, by either deleting line 423 or using Jeni's suggestion/simplification, but the 'wavy line' problem was indeed when the file coverage.xsd was as-is.

That's nice to know - I wondered how on earth the IDE and the .NET assemblies could be out of synch.

Thanks for pointing that out!

But it's never been a problem with any Schematron crud - I am using the original, untainted release from ISO (URL for download from EDEN was given in another post of mine, on the other thread). That doesn't have assertions stuffed into it.

Interestingly, 3 posts (possibly 2 of mine) have disappeared from that thread. Has someone reported me for "abuse",  I wonder!  Or, once the question has been answered (marked as green), are further posts disallowed / deleted?

Wednesday, February 06, 2008 1:13 PM
  • Validation in the IDE is done by system.xml, so the two should always be in synch.  There might be differences in how the IDE built the set and how you were building it in your code, which could contribute to descrepancies.

I'm not sure which posts disappeared, I see a number of posts from you in that thread.

Wednesday, February 06, 2008 8:19 PM
  • My code (validation handler) belatedly recognized that Warnings are serious when coming out of the System.XML(etc) assemblies - and I had to "dig deeper" into the exception-tracking classes - but eventually agreed with the IDE.

As a side note, it would be helpful if the warnings included some easily-identifiable text. The filenotfoundexception is one that i could pick up, but it's hard to error-trap and code sensibly for some of the warnings, like the coverage.xsd "line 423" problem with the <choice/>.

My posts miraculously re-appeared today.  

Thursday, February 07, 2008 3:08 AM
  • My I remind you that this thread is about the MISSING XML schema editor in VS2008?

I cannot understand that MS promotes VS2008 with a lot of bells and whistles, while stuff you have learned to appreciate simply disappears without notice.

Can anyone from MS give some insight in the time schedule for this vital module?

Thursday, February 07, 2008 7:24 AM
  • Sorry, but I'm more interested in some of my minor problems.

You have a couple of options -

1. Use VS2005 (does the Express version even have the XML Schema Editor - or not?). It works side-by-side with VS2008
    2. Install VS2008 Beta 2, and download the editor/designer (XML Schema Designer) August 07 CTP. I haven't used it much, but I haven't found anything amiss, yet.

I know nothing, but it's a possibility that the XML Schema Designer that was released in 08/2007 might be enhanced some time before VS vNext to work with VS2008.

Thursday, February 07, 2008 12:35 PM
  • Ian,

Sorry, no offence. My reply was merely to express my frustration and directed towards MS

Monday, February 11, 2008 8:36 AM
  • Martin, another option (not integrated into Visual Studio, so it is a fall-back only):

There is a free XSD Editor from Liquid Technologies, called Liquid XML Studio. It looks very capable.

http://www.liquid-technologies.com/Product_XmlStudio.aspx

Actually, I haven't used it. I have Stylus Studio 2008 XML Enterprise Suite, which is nice (just a pity it is java-based).

But I am trialling their commercial product, called Liquid XML Data Binding 2008, and it is the ONLY tool that I have discovered that can generate code classes from the 54 schema files in the ISO 19139 standard, without a hiccup. It has a $1000+ pricetag, though.

http://www.liquid-technologies.com/Product_XmlDataBinding.aspx

Tuesday, February 12, 2008 3:25 AM
  • Goodness gracious.. can't believe that the 2005 functionailty for the XSD designer is not incl default in vs 2008..  arrgg..

work aorund = use vs2005 .. kept vs2005 for previous projects.. Legacy projects. arrrggghhhh

Wednesday, May 28, 2008 3:18 PM
  • Or you have to rely on some commerical (most if them are not free) XML designer products available on the web.

Example. XMLSpy (http://www.altova.com/) or graphical XML Schema editor (http://www.liquid-technologies.com/Product_XmlStudio__FreeXmlEditor.aspx) from Liquid Technologies.

Thanks

Thursday, September 04, 2008 9:03 PM
  • Hi,

Not just to add another voice to the chorus of people upset about the lack of a visual editor for xml schema in VS 2008, but as it's May of 09, has there been any progress?  Is there a patch or project to be downloaded and installed now?

Thanks
    Wednesday, May 06, 2009 6:25 PM
  • No there is still no news from MS, here you can find a similar bug report which was simply ignored.

Currently I'm using Liquid Studio designer as 30 day trail which is not free btw. 

MS has also stopped the project Linq to XSD where I was also looking forward too, has MS abandoned XSD schemes? ... complete silence :(

Hopefully waiting will pay off, a bit disappointed in MS.
    Tuesday, May 26, 2009 6:55 AM
  • Hopefully waiting will pay off, a bit disappointed in MS.
    After a bit searching I found this article on codeguru about VS2010 with a new XSD designer.
    Tuesday, May 26, 2009 7:31 AM
  • I just realised this was missing as well. Serious pain! Now that VS2010 development is well under way I'd be very surprised if a version for VS2008 was released.

Alex Angas - http://alexangas.wordpress.com/
    Friday, June 05, 2009 3:37 PM
  • look into LinqToXSD when you have a chance ... its just as capable (if not better) and a lot cheaper than Liquid XML Data Binder ...

http://linqtoxsd.codeplex.com

Wednesday, January 06, 2010 8:04 PM