Unable to update the dependencies of the project

Question

• I have had this error every time I try to check my program into source control after making changes. The project builds and works fine until I check it in and check it back out then it won’t build. I have deleted the setup project and built a new one only to have the same problem after checking it into source control. It also givs me a warning that " Assembly ' FolderName\FileName.exe ' is incorrectly specified as a file. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Tuesday, November 29, 2005 9:25 PM

Answers

• I need a little more information to try to narrow things down.  I should mention that there do seem to have been similiar problems reported before [see: http://www.dotnet247.com/247reference/msgs/49/247883.aspx].  That posting also mentions setup builds breaking after doing a checkout from SCC (although they used VSS) in their case.

A few questions:
    1) Is there more to the error message that just "Unable to update the dependencies of the project"?  Most of the posts I've seen with this error also include the path to the dependency in the error message.
    2) What kind of project(s) are we dealing with?  Is the setup project referencing web projects, C# projects, etc. ?
    3) Have you tried doing a Save All Files and then doing Compare on the setup project's files after you've done the CheckIn and CheckOut to see what has changed?  There is a posting about setup project builds breaking due to AssemblyVersion changing [see: http://www.thescripts.com/forum/thread420289.html].

Thanks,
    Ben
    Thursday, December 01, 2005 2:48 PM

All replies

• I need a little more information to try to narrow things down.  I should mention that there do seem to have been similiar problems reported before [see: http://www.dotnet247.com/247reference/msgs/49/247883.aspx].  That posting also mentions setup builds breaking after doing a checkout from SCC (although they used VSS) in their case.

A few questions:
    1) Is there more to the error message that just "Unable to update the dependencies of the project"?  Most of the posts I've seen with this error also include the path to the dependency in the error message.
    2) What kind of project(s) are we dealing with?  Is the setup project referencing web projects, C# projects, etc. ?
    3) Have you tried doing a Save All Files and then doing Compare on the setup project's files after you've done the CheckIn and CheckOut to see what has changed?  There is a posting about setup project builds breaking due to AssemblyVersion changing [see: http://www.thescripts.com/forum/thread420289.html].

Thanks,
    Ben
    Thursday, December 01, 2005 2:48 PM
  • Ben -

Although it is marked as the answer, I am not sure this answers the question.

What I find is that if I have several projects in a solution, and start advancing version numbers on multiple projects before doing a build of the setup project, it will corrupt the setup project. At this point I must trash the setup project and start over. I do not use VSS integrally with VS IDE, and this can happen without involving any check in or check out.

It is my theory the GUIDS on the dependency chain for complex solutions with perhaps multiple projects dependent upon other projects do not update properly when version numbers are advanced. It is as though these projects become "orphaned" in the application folder of the setup project. You can remove the original output project, and yet these dependency projects remain, still with the error.

Please let us know a fix is in the pipe. Rapid development stops when I get my last changes made, do my version # advances, so setup will update each component, then only to have the setup kit become corrupt and throw the work hours behind.
    Tuesday, January 24, 2006 11:29 PM
  • I am experiencing the same issue. Whenever I check out my web setup project to advance the version number it fails to compile with the message:

Unable to update the dependencies for this project

After which I need to remove the setup project from my solution and start another one from scratch.

Obviously this is tedious and time consuming, any suggestions?

Bob

Tuesday, January 31, 2006 11:01 AM
  • Me too - I just got this problem with a project I have been working on for a couple of months. Having found this thread, I removed the setup project and was just about to start another one from scratch, when I tried reloading it (File, Add, Existing Project) - and Hey! everythings back to normal. Dependencies all listed in the explorer window, no error messages, all ok. So just in case you've not tried that . . .

pg

• Proposed as answer by WraithNath Tuesday, June 29, 2010 9:36 AM
    Friday, February 03, 2006 2:13 AM
  • I'd like to also confirm this is a serious problem.  I have built, destroyed and rebuilt the setup project several times.  This problem usually occurs that the worst possible time, like hours before a release or a big demo.  I spent almost a week with the Microsoft people.  I was able to demonstrate the problem, but because I couldn't package it up and send it to them, they were useless.

The problem appears exactly as described.  You get your project working just right, you package it up and then check everything in because your QC people tell you that it is ready to go out to testers or marketing.  Then, you begin to change things, because that's what you do as an engineer, you change build numbers, add modules, etc.  Then when you go to check out the deployment project because you've got another release coming up, you get the infurating message: "Unable to update the dependancies of the project."

One work-around that I use under duress is to go into the .vdproj file with notepad and delete every section mentioned in the error messages.  The project seems to build after that.

Saturday, February 04, 2006 8:11 PM
  • I can confirm this as yet another extremely annoying bug.  If a new release warrants a version number change in any of the modules then the setup project is broken.

ERROR: Unable to update the dependencies of the project.  The dependencies for the object 'xxxx.dll' cannot be determined.

The problem occurs with ever DLL included in the solution.  If I right-click -> Refresh Dependencies on the Detect Dependencies folder in the solution explorer then I get a simple message box "The operation could not be completed" from Microsoft Visual Studio.

Would be really nice if I could find out WHY the operation could not be completed.  Even a small clue would be nice.

btw:  Crashed the document explorer twice more trying to find info about this  :-(.

Friday, February 17, 2006 3:33 AM
  • This continues to be a huge problem. For example, one solution contains 18 projects. All have explicit version numbers. Some are converted VB from VS 2003, some created in VS 2005, and one CS. I can get a clean build, exit Visual Studio, get a clean build, and then go to advance the manual versions first on the setup project, then on assemblyinfo.vb on a changed component, and all components that call it, right on up the tree to the primary output project. Do the build now, and I get

------ Rebuild All started: Project: PPSManager, Configuration: Debug Any CPU ------
    C:\WINNT\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Vbc.exe /noconfig /baseaddress:11000000 /imports:Microsoft.VisualBasic,System,System.Collections,System.Data,System.Diagnostics,System.Drawing,System.Windows.Forms /nowarn:42016,42017,42018,42019,42032 /optioncompare:Binary /optionexplicit+ /optionstrict+ /removeintchecks- /rootnamespace:PPSManager /doc:obj\Debug\PPSManager.xml /define:"CONFIG=\"Debug\",DEBUG=-1,TRACE=-1,_MyType=\"WindowsForms\",PLATFORM=\"AnyCPU\"" /reference:"C:\Program Files\Microsoft.NET\Primary Interop Assemblies\adodb.dll","D:\ODPNET20\Core\Genuine Channels\2.5.X\DLL\Framework 2.0\Release\GenuineChannels.dll","D:\ODPNET20\PPS\PPS System\SpeedPrint\IRCSpeedPrint\bin\IRCSpeedPrint.dll",D:\ODPNET20\Core\ODPBatchControl\ODPBatchControl\bin\ODPBatchControl.dll,D:\ODPNET20\Core\ODPDisplayNET\bin\ODPDisplayNET.dll,"D:\ODPNET20\PPS\PPS System\ODPInsert\bin\ODPInsert.dll",D:\ODPNET20\Core\ODPMessage\bin\ODPMessage.dll,"D:\ODPNET20\PPS\PPS System\PPSConfigNET\bin\PPSConfigNET.dll","D:\ODPNET20\PPS\PPS System\PPSInserterDef\bin\PPSInserterDef.dll","D:\ODPNET20\PPS\PPS System\PPSPageNET\bin\PPSPageNET.dll","D:\ODPNET20\PPS\PPS System\PPSProgressMessages\bin\PPSProgressMessages.dll","D:\ODPNET20\PPS\PPS System\PPSServiceLib\bin\PPSServiceLib.dll","D:\ODPNET20\PPS\PPS System\PPSTables\bin\PPSTables.dll",C:\WINNT\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\System.Data.dll,C:\WINNT\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\System.dll,C:\WINNT\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\System.Drawing.dll,C:\WINNT\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\System.ServiceProcess.dll,C:\WINNT\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\System.Windows.Forms.dll,C:\WINNT\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\System.Xml.dll /main:PPSManager.My.MyApplication /debug+ /debug:full /optimize- /out:obj\Debug\PPSManager.exe /resource:obj\Debug\PPSManager.DGButtonColumn.resources /resource:obj\Debug\PPSManager.FormattableTextBoxColumn.resources /resource:obj\Debug\PPSManager.frmAbout.resources /resource:obj\Debug\PPSManager.frmConfirmationAddressLookup.resources /resource:obj\Debug\PPSManager.frmConfirmationEditor.resources /resource:obj\Debug\PPSManager.frmLogViewer.resources /resource:obj\Debug\PPSManager.frmMain.resources /resource:obj\Debug\PPSManager.frmReadyToRun.resources /resource:obj\Debug\PPSManager.frmSubmit.resources /resource:obj\Debug\PPSManager.frmVolumeNavigator.resources /resource:obj\Debug\PPSManager.frmWeights.resources /resource:obj\Debug\PPSManager.Resources.resources /resource:obj\Debug\PPSManager.PPSManagerDataGrid.resources /resource:obj\Debug\PPSManager.Volume.cur /target:winexe /warnaserror- /win32icon:PPSManager.ico AssemblyInfo.vb Database.vb DataGridFormatCellEventArgs.vb DataGridImageColumn.vb DGButtonColumn.vb DiagnosticMessage.vb FormattableTextBoxColumn.vb frmAbout.vb frmConfirmationAddressLookup.vb frmConfirmationEditor.vb frmLogViewer.vb frmMain.vb frmReadyToRun.vb frmSubmit.vb frmVolumeNavigator.vb frmWeights.vb Globals.vb MenuItemWithData.vb "My Project\Application.Designer.vb" "My Project\Resources.Designer.vb" PPSManagerDataGrid.vb RemoteServiceMonitor.vb SpeedPrintController.vb WatchExecutionProgress.vb
    PPSManager -> D:\ODPNET20\PPS\PPS System\PPSManager\bin\PPSManager.exe
    ------ Rebuild All started: Project: Setup, Configuration: Debug ------
    ERROR: Unable to update the dependencies of the project.  The dependencies for the object 'ODPRegistry.dll' cannot be determined.
    ERROR: Unable to update the dependencies of the project.  The dependencies for the object 'PPSServiceLib.dll' cannot be determined.
    ERROR: Unable to update the dependencies of the project.  The dependencies for the object 'IRCSpeedPrint.dll' cannot be determined.
    ERROR: Unable to update the dependencies of the project.  The dependencies for the object 'ODPDisplayNET.dll' cannot be determined.
    ERROR: Unable to update the dependencies of the project.  The dependencies for the object 'ODPInsert.dll' cannot be determined.
    ERROR: Unable to update the dependencies of the project.  The dependencies for the object 'ODPMessage.dll' cannot be determined.
    ERROR: Unable to update the dependencies of the project.  The dependencies for the object 'ODPBatchControl.dll' cannot be determined.
    ERROR: Unable to update the dependencies of the project.  The dependencies for the object 'ODPFtpNET.dll' cannot be determined.
    ERROR: Unable to update the dependencies of the project.  The dependencies for the object 'PPSConfigNET.dll' cannot be determined.
    ERROR: Unable to update the dependencies of the project.  The dependencies for the object 'GenuineChannels.dll' cannot be determined.
    ERROR: Unable to update the dependencies of the project.  The dependencies for the object 'ICSharpCode.SharpZipLib.dll' cannot be determined.
    ERROR: Unable to update the dependencies of the project.  The dependencies for the object 'PPSInserterDef.dll' cannot be determined.
    ERROR: Unable to update the dependencies of the project.  The dependencies for the object 'ODPMailslotNET.dll' cannot be determined.
    ERROR: Unable to update the dependencies of the project.  The dependencies for the object 'PPSProgressMessages.dll' cannot be determined.
    ERROR: Unable to update the dependencies of the project.  The dependencies for the object 'PPSTables.dll' cannot be determined.
    ERROR: Unable to update the dependencies of the project.  The dependencies for the object 'ODPZipNET.dll' cannot be determined.
    ERROR: Unable to update the dependencies of the project.  The dependencies for the object 'PPSPageNET.dll' cannot be determined.
    ERROR: Unable to update the dependencies of the project.  The dependencies for the object 'Interop_MSDASC.dll' cannot be determined.
    ERROR: Unable to update the dependencies of the project.  The dependencies for the object 'Interop.Signed.DAO.dll' cannot be determined.
    ========== Rebuild All: 17 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 skipped ==========

The ONLY way I know to reliably deal with this is dropping and re-adding the primary output, and then going back and making all of the settings for components is very time intensive and error prone. Sometimes I have to delete the setup project and start over. I can tell my boss my work is done, and instantly add another 1 to 2 hours before I can deliver a working setup kit.

Some have found little tricks and tweaks, but none have worked for me. I don't really understand what is happening, but I know it has a lot to do with advancing version numbers. If I don't advance version numbers then MSI won't install the updated components!

If this has bitten anyone else, I think you need to add to this thread so they can see this is not isolated. I am pretty sure others are having the same issue. I think we were WAY TO PREMATURE marking this thread as being ANSWERED!!!
    Monday, March 20, 2006 4:28 PM
  • You said ...
    "I think we were WAY TO PREMATURE marking this thread as being ANSWERED!!!"

ABSOLUTELY. !!!

Can you repost as a new question.  I'll have a couple of hours spare later this week and can spend some time trying to make a repo and will post too.

This is a MAJOR annoyance.  btw:  Are you using SourceSafe?  I have not had this problem occur on solutions that aren't under source control.

After the setup project screws up the dependencies right-click -> Refresh Dependencies on the Detected Dependencies folder in the project produces an unreported background exception and a little message box saying Error....

My solution is the same as yours.  Recreate the setup project. (not trivial in my case either).

DeadlyTrev.
    Tuesday, March 21, 2006 12:31 AM
  • I have reposted in a couple of flavors.

Using VSS, but not integrated with the IDE.

I found solutions which contain projects converted from VS2003 may be suspect. For me, advancing versions manually (before kitting) seems to be suspect.

I theorized the "Hierarchy" section of the Setup.vbproj file is the only corrupt part. I studied it a bit, and wrote some quick ugly code to regenerate it by using reflection to walk the assembly dependencies, and managed to resurrect several big corrupt setup projects.

Now rather than starting a new SETUP project from scratch, and forgetting some settings, and all the time, I can be back up and going in a minute or so. It is still a big pain, though.
    Tuesday, March 21, 2006 12:39 AM
  • With VSS unbound from the IDE I find the problem less likely but still occurs.  I've also been able to recover by hacking about with the Hierarchy section in the vdproj file (confirming your findings that this is the part that screws up when things go awry) but have also made things worse on occasion.

I have a 32 step written script (on paper!!) to follow when rebuilding my deployment project.  Tedious, time consuming cutting and pasting of GUIDs and strings and browsing for the same files over and over again.  It's the bloody dark ages!!

DSS. Vic. Oz
    Tuesday, March 21, 2006 12:57 AM
  • This will be difficult to solve in the forums, but I'll fire a few arrows in the dark and hope one of them hits.

1) Any chance there was a database project in your solution?  We've seen this error a couple of times when there is a database project in the solution.

2) I believe the Hierarchy section is only supposed to provide hints about dependencies and their owners.  If you think this is the area giving you problems, I think you can safely delete it, and it will be re-generated automatically.

3) Finally, I see you mentioned that this happens when your solution contains projects converted from VS 2003.  Are these projects still under development, or could you contine to use the VS 2003 version?  Did you try packaging these with a setup project in VS 2003?  If so, did you get similar failures?

4) Have you raised this issue through ProductFeedback or PSS?  You can log a product feedback bug at: http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/productfeedback/default.aspx

Thursday, March 23, 2006 7:39 PM
  • 1) No database in the solution

2) I tried it. The project loads fine, but when I build the setup project, which was otherwise working I get the following. Also, I looked at the setup file, and the Hierarchy section was not there. To confirm I deleted the line that says "Hierarchy", the "{" which immediately follows it, and all the lines to the next "}" at the same level. Have you actually tried this?
    ------ Build started: Project: Setup, Configuration: Release ------
    ERROR: Unable to update the dependencies of the project.  The dependencies for the object 'ODPZipNET.dll' cannot be determined.
    ERROR: Unable to update the dependencies of the project.  The dependencies for the object 'Interop.Signed.DAO.dll' cannot be determined.
    ERROR: Unable to update the dependencies of the project.  The dependencies for the object 'Interop_MSDASC.dll' cannot be determined.
    ERROR: Unable to update the dependencies of the project.  The dependencies for the object 'PPSPageNET.dll' cannot be determined.
    ERROR: Unable to update the dependencies of the project.  The dependencies for the object 'ODPInsert.dll' cannot be determined.
    ERROR: Unable to update the dependencies of the project.  The dependencies for the object 'ODPFtpNET.dll' cannot be determined.
    ERROR: Unable to update the dependencies of the project.  The dependencies for the object 'ODPMessage.dll' cannot be determined.
    ERROR: Unable to update the dependencies of the project.  The dependencies for the object 'PPSProgressMessages.dll' cannot be determined.
    ERROR: Unable to update the dependencies of the project.  The dependencies for the object 'PPSServiceLib.dll' cannot be determined.
    ERROR: Unable to update the dependencies of the project.  The dependencies for the object 'ICSharpCode.SharpZipLib.dll' cannot be determined.
    ERROR: Unable to update the dependencies of the project.  The dependencies for the object 'GenuineChannels.dll' cannot be determined.
    ERROR: Unable to update the dependencies of the project.  The dependencies for the object 'PPSConfigNET.dll' cannot be determined.
    ========== Build: 9 succeeded or up-to-date, 1 failed, 0 skipped ==========

3) Converted projects are now using new features of Framework 2.0

4) I will post the bug
    Thursday, March 23, 2006 8:48 PM
  • Hmmm, well I could have sworn I tried deleting the hierarchy ages ago, and it automatically getting restored.  But no doubt, when I delete it now, things become busted just as you describe.

I'm sorry, I can't hink of any nice work-arounds offhand.  I will continue to look into this issue.

Thursday, March 23, 2006 10:05 PM
  • 1. Yes, there is a database project in the solution.
    2. If I delete the hierarchy section in the project file I just get the same series of "ERROR: Unable to update the dependencies of the project.  The dependencies for the object 'xxxx' cannot be determined." messages.
    3. This solution and all component projects were created from scratch in VS2005.

Thursday, March 23, 2006 10:28 PM
  • I am new to the bug reporting system MS has in place. I recall some number of years ago I looked for this, and at the time it was not available to the public, and so I never explored it again. It appears that attention is paid on submissions based upon a voting system. Before you enter your bug report, you first search to see if a similar submission is already in there. Rather than creating a new entry one can then add a vote, and assign a severity to the vote to provide a weighted average. I see not many people do this, and many submissions are sitting there with the one single vote of the submitter. Making multiple submissions of the same issue tend to dilute the voting and weighting of each other. I might suggest if you and others are experiencing this problem, and it has any level of impact on your work, that you go to the MSDN Product Feedback site and find my report, add information to it if you have it, and place a vote, and rate its severity. I am hopeful through this it will finally get some attention.

The site is here: http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/ProductFeedback/
    Friday, March 24, 2006 4:44 PM
  • If the problem discussed here is affecting you, please consider going to the MSDN Product Feedback issue I have submitted, and add any information, rate the severity of the issue for you, and vote for this as an issue that needs attention.

http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/ProductFeedback/viewfeedback.aspx?feedbackid=3d2055cd-e804-49ef-b698-17761d5686de
    Friday, March 24, 2006 4:49 PM
  • There is a known issue when the solution contains a database project, and the following work-around may help:

Open the solution file with a text editor.  Move the database project after the setup project in the ordering in the file.  Restart VS and reopen the solution.

You may have to re-add your project outputs to get teh dependencies added again.

Monday, March 27, 2006 6:19 PM
  • I'm having this issue with the following, simple setup.

I have a VB Windows Application project. and a setup project.  I'm the only developer working on this project.  I do use svn for storing revisions.  I do not have to check out anything, the project is mine.

I have the same errors mentioned, and I have not changed version numbers.  I simply coded the project, and went to create an updated installer with the requested changes.

And I'm stalled.

Monday, April 03, 2006 3:03 PM
  • Hi !
    I am also experiencing this problem with the MapPoint ActiveX control. It's really annoying because I can't build my setup anymore and I need to release a new version of my program in a few days.

Recreating my setup isn't an acceptable solution because I have a lot of launch conditions, custom actions and user interfaces !! Please find a quick and efficient solution.

Thanks in advance.
    Laurent

Error    1    Unable to update the dependencies of the project.  The dependencies for the object 'AxInterop.MapPoint.dll' cannot be determined.

Wednesday, April 19, 2006 9:24 AM
  • I was wondering what the status on this issue?

I'm expressing the same issue with a Setup Project i my solution which includes 5 projects in total. 2 of them ASP.NET, other 2 - Windows Application, and last one is a Setup of Windows Application.

VS : Visual Studio 2005 version 8.0.50727.42

.NET Framework : 2.0.050727

Setup Project: Primary output from Windows Application Project

Troubling dependencies: crystalreports11_5_net_2005.msm, microsoft_vs_vc80_atl_x86.msm, policy_8_0_microsoft_vc80_atl_x86.msm

Error message: Unable to update the dependencies of the project. ...

Solution: REBUILD SETUP PROJECT and it's getting really, really annoying!!!

Thanks,

Tuesday, April 25, 2006 9:30 PM
  • It is HORRIBLY annoying!!!

Several people have gone to product feedback and reported, and voted on the issue:

http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/ProductFeedback/viewfeedback.aspx?feedbackid=3d2055cd-e804-49ef-b698-17761d5686de

I submitted a setup project before and after corruption, but that is not enough. MS has focused some time on it, but can not reproduce the issue, and has asked that someone can submit a complete set of solution files, and the instructions for actions to perform on the solution to reproduce the problem.  I'm guessing it is going to take me the better part of a day to do that, so I haven't done it yet. Maybe you have something simple that you can add to the report that will break the deadlock on reproducing the error so we can get it fixed??
    Monday, May 01, 2006 3:18 PM
  • I ran filemon while the project updated its dependencies and it appears visual studio keeps trying to find all the assemblies in the GAC rather than in the solution/project directories. An example line from the filemon log for my project:

9:48:26 AM devenv.exe:4508 QUERY INFORMATION C:\WINDOWS\assembly\GAC\ImportTool.Common NOT FOUND Attributes: Error 

Sunday, May 14, 2006 3:19 PM
  • I am having this problem on one of my solutions ported from 2003.  I was wondering if we could come up with a common cause for the issue that we could report to MS. 

Are these projects all converted from VS2003 or previous ? 

Were the setup programs originaly created in VS2003?

My projects uses com interop to support use of MS Office and OCX controls.  From some of the posts others are also using interop.  How many of us with the problem are using the com interop?

I do not have database in my setup program how many do?

I manually changed a version number on one of my projects.  How many with the problem changed a version number?

Friday, May 19, 2006 7:12 PM
  • My project is VS 2003

I have a Database Project in my Solution.

No COM interopt.
    Friday, May 19, 2006 11:07 PM
  • Also, there was a version change at least once in the project's history.
    Friday, May 19, 2006 11:12 PM
  • This problem has occurred in almost all multi-project solutions I've built with VS2005.

When the problem occurred;
        In ALL cases version numbers were manually changed
        In some cases COM interop was involved, but not all
        In some cases a database project was involved, but not all
        In NO cases were projects upgraded from earlier versions of VS.

DT.

Monday, May 22, 2006 12:38 AM
  • We are still aiming to reproduce this at Microsoft.  Would anyone be willing to contact me directly with their solution?  I can understand why no one would want to post a repro onto this forum or on the MS feedback site.  I will will make every reasonable effort to make sure that you feel comfortable in supplying a repro.  Please contact me at vsw586416@hotmail.com if you are interested. 

Thanks,
    Mike

Wednesday, May 24, 2006 5:08 AM
  • Hello,

We are also experiecing the same problem as described above. Our setup project was rebuilding perfectly before we incremented the version number and checked it back in to Visual Source Safe. Now evey dependency cannot be dermined. These are a mix of COM and inhouse component libraries. Our solutions do not contain any database projects, but do contain muiltple projects.

Error 19 Unable to update the dependencies of the project.  The dependencies for the object 'xxxxxx.dll' cannot be determined.

These projects had been migrated from VS 2003.

What i have noticed though, is that now our dependencies are pointing at a GAC location, where previously they were all pointing a another folder. That said, all paths point to valid assemblies/locations accessable to VS. 

I would really appreciate a workaround or bug-fix for this, as it is quite time consuming re-creating each setup project for our software product which contains 15+ solutions.

Regards,

Jonathan Captanis

APT Business Solutions

Thursday, May 25, 2006 4:22 AM
  • Anyone has a clue if it is recognized has a known issue by MS ? This is really a showstopper and it's happenning with every project I do.
    Thursday, June 08, 2006 3:35 PM
  • This is really weird : I had this bug on a project, so I had to recreate my setup (with all the conditions, custom actions, etc).

A few days ago, I had to release a new version of my application, so I change project assembly version, then setup version, and the bug didn't appear ... everything worked like a charm. To be sure, I changed assembly and setup version again and still no bug.

I think this problem appear when you do a serie of actions in a certain order, like changing assembly version, building projects or setup files. This is the strangest behaviour I've ever seen in a software

For info, my solution is composed of a C# windows form project, a DLL in VB.NET and a setup project. It has references to MapPoint ActiveX control, Microsoft.Data.Odbc and IWshRuntimeLibrary.

If this bug appears again, I'll let you know, and I'll try to be more precise on what I've done to have it.

Bye
    Laurent

Thursday, June 08, 2006 9:19 PM
  • Ok, I'm having the same issue getting the "Unable to update the dependencies of the project." error in my Web Setup project.

I had a Database project in my solution and went ahead and removed that project from the solution as suggested.  I still got the error.

Here's where the kicker is.  I checked out the Setup project and removed ALL of the dependencies including the project outputs.  I would assume that I would have a blank setup project in place here, and that I would be able to build the blank MSI.  However, it's still showing me the dependency issue after everything is removed from the setup project!

So I looked into the .vdproj file of the setup application and noticed that the dependencies are still in the setup project file!  The Visual Studio UI is showing no dependencies.

Monday, June 26, 2006 8:49 PM
  • Hah, After spending a little while on this... I have a solution that works, for me at least. I read a posting about removing the primary output which started me off on the trail. I noticed that after removing this there were a number of duplicates of dependancy files. I was already aware of these duplicates because the File System Editor / Application view had contained them and flagged them as faulty. So I decided to look a little further. Turns out that the duplicates were references to ghost files, i.e. files that aren't there, in the setup application directory, they also sometimes retained older version information. So rather than remove the primary output here's what I did:-

1. Using Visual Studio I opened up the vdproj file.

2. Identified the duplicate entries in the Files Section, in my case represented by a lower version number. 

3. Some shared dlls were also reported as failing though they were not duplicated.These were seen as dependancies of the main output projects and therefore did not need to be specified int the files section so these too were removed.

3. Remove the duplicate entries.

4. Save the file

5.Open the project in VS And Build.

• Proposed as answer by Grant McDade Tuesday, June 01, 2010 9:06 AM
    Wednesday, July 05, 2006 3:06 PM
  • THANK YOU!

Your solution worked perfectly and is very simpe to do.  I never expected it to be as simple as removing the Setup project and then  adding it again.  You've saved me a lot of time with this posting.

car

Thursday, July 27, 2006 1:55 PM
  • I tried it this way and it worked excellent:

1. Open the setup project in VS

2. Open the same vdproj file in Notepad

3. For each "Unable to update" you get reported, search for the file name in notepad

4. Find the row for the search path ;  "SourcePath" = "8:PlexityHide.GTP.dll"

5. if its wrong fix it (in notepad) "SourcePath" = "8:..\\..\\Source\\Bin\\PlexityHide.GTP.dll" (it can be mentioned several times, so search again)

6. save notepad

7. Switch to VS, and it asks you for a reload -> yes. Rebuild -> Better!

8. Repeat until clean.

• Proposed as answer by Jeff Hunsaker Thursday, August 26, 2010 5:45 PM
    Wednesday, August 30, 2006 8:18 PM
  • Hey All,

I also experienced this problem 100 times, I used to remove and add Project Output to refresh dependencies, or remove / add setup project.

It seems that Microsoft has confirmed it's a bug and finally released a hotfix !!

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917036/

Lati.

Wednesday, September 13, 2006 1:30 PM
  • Hmmm.   Not sure if this hotfix will fix the problem reported in this particular thread.  That hotfix seems to patch a similiar bug (setup corruption with a database project in the solution) but not this one (setup corruption when changing version numbers and checking into Visual Sourcesafe).

Monday, September 18, 2006 5:43 AM
  • How come this is so hard for the Visual Studio group to accept? I have had this problem with setup projects for 2 years now. It happened in Visual Studio .NET 2003 and it happens in Visual Studio 2005.

I can't believe how incredibly horrible Visual Studio is after the 2005 release. The fact that the MVP here can't even acknowledge this problem is a joke. Months go by and Microsoft does nothing. Totally unbelievable.

"Just recreate the setup project" is rediculous. Some of these setup projects are very complicated. Visual Studio wastes my time every day. I wish I had another choice because this just gets rediculous. I find it quite humorous that we don't even really get responses on this.

Thanks Microsoft for making me want to quit the software industry, move to a small town and buy Apple products.

Friday, October 06, 2006 1:25 PM
  • Here is one workaround to solve this bug:

1. Mark the assemblies that fail to update their references.
    2. Close VS2005.
    3. Open the setup project file (.vdproj file) with a text editor.
    4. Locate the "File" section.
    5. Locate and remove the assembly references from step 1.
      • These references start with a guid reference like :"{9F6F8455-1EF1-4B85-886A-4223BCC8E7F7}:_0FE46745DE13D177CF253E35E33B9B04",  and end with something like this:"IsolateTo" = "8:"
    6. Save the file
    7. Open VS2005 and rebuild.

Sample file (red lines should be removed)

"File"
            {

"{1FB2D0AE-D3B9-43D4-B9DD-F88EC61E35DE}:_0C0430E641F4445D9516B2CD0DF6D372"
                {
                "SourcePath" = "8:..\\Setup\\CabArc.Exe"
                "TargetName" = "8:CabArc.Exe"
                "Tag" = "8:"
                "Folder" = "8:_2F74E0FB53014DC3862F7F3DF19CC5F5"
                "Condition" = "8:SETUP_CLIENT=1"
                "Transitive" = "11:FALSE"
                "Vital" = "11:TRUE"
                "ReadOnly" = "11:FALSE"
                "Hidden" = "11:FALSE"
                "System" = "11:FALSE"
                "Permanent" = "11:FALSE"
                "SharedLegacy" = "11:FALSE"
                "PackageAs" = "3:1"
                "Register" = "3:1"
                "Exclude" = "11:FALSE"
                "IsDependency" = "11:FALSE"
                "IsolateTo" = "8:"
                }

"{9F6F8455-1EF1-4B85-886A-4223BCC8E7F7}:_0FE46745DE13D177CF253E35E33B9B04"
                {
                "AssemblyRegister" = "3:1"
                "AssemblyIsInGAC" = "11:FALSE"
                "AssemblyAsmDisplayName" = "8:Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Logging, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, processorArchitecture=MSIL"
                    "ScatterAssemblies"
                    {
                        "_0FE46745DE13D177CF253E35E33B9B04"
                        {
                        "Name" = "8:Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Logging.dll"
                        "Attributes" = "3:512"
                        }
                    }
                "SourcePath" = "8:Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Logging.dll"
                "TargetName" = "8:"
                "Tag" = "8:"
                "Folder" = "8:_E58FBD674227478D90C4056AD8242BCF"
                "Condition" = "8:"
                "Transitive" = "11:FALSE"
                "Vital" = "11:TRUE"
                "ReadOnly" = "11:FALSE"
                "Hidden" = "11:FALSE"
                "System" = "11:FALSE"
                "Permanent" = "11:FALSE"
                "SharedLegacy" = "11:FALSE"
                "PackageAs" = "3:1"
                "Register" = "3:1"
                "Exclude" = "11:FALSE"
                "IsDependency" = "11:TRUE"
                "IsolateTo" = "8:"
                }
               }

PS: Make a backup of the project file before making any changes.

Chris Mylonas

chris.mylonas@computer.org

Monday, October 09, 2006 7:31 AM
  • Hi :)

I'm also using this workaround for a few weeks now and it seems to be the only working solution (destroying setup isn't one :p). VS2005 will recalculate dependencies and regenerate the file section in the setup project file.

Laurent

Monday, October 09, 2006 7:42 AM
  • Just Remove Those References and add Them again.
    I had same warning messages for .dll files

Wednesday, November 08, 2006 12:46 PM
  • A fix now exists for this issue:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917036

And it works!

EDIT: By reading some messages in this thread, it seems like it does'nt fix the issue specific to this thread but a similar one... sorry.

Tuesday, November 14, 2006 4:49 PM
  • EDIT: False alarm. It worked for one build.... :-(

Hi guys!

I'm not sure I have a solution, but another clue that gets me to the next error (but only a warning!). Clear the readonly attribute on "mssccprj.scc" and you will stop getting the error. I am pretty sure I did not have this problem in the past, but, a few weeks ago I installed Team System - perhaps that brought on the issue?.

FYI, the error I am now getting is:

Warning 1 Windows Installer is not included in any selected prerequisite C:\Projects\RDIGIT\NumberImporterInstaller\NumberImporterInstaller.vdproj NumberImporterSetup

David

Tuesday, November 21, 2006 6:58 PM
  • Chris Mylonas' solution worked for me. I did apply the hotfix but it didn't fix the issue. Maybe you need to do both together?

Wednesday, December 13, 2006 10:49 PM
  • The Post by Hans Karlsen works.

1. Open the setup project in VS

2. Open the same vdproj file in Notepad

3. For each "Unable to update" you get reported, search for the file name in notepad

4. Find the row for the search path ;  "SourcePath" = "8:PlexityHide.GTP.dll"

5. if its wrong fix it (in notepad) "SourcePath" = "8:..\\..\\Source\\Bin\\PlexityHide.GTP.dll" (it can be mentioned several times, so search again)

6. save notepad

7. Switch to VS, and it asks you for a reload -> yes. Rebuild -> Better!

8. Repeat until clean.

Tuesday, February 06, 2007 8:11 PM
  •  Mike Wade - MSFT wrote:

There is a known issue when the solution contains a database project, and the following work-around may help:

Open the solution file with a text editor.  Move the database project after the setup project in the ordering in the file.  Restart VS and reopen the solution.

You may have to re-add your project outputs to get teh dependencies added again.

FWIW, tried just about everything in this thread and this was the solution that worked for us.  Of course we do have a database project so not sure what solution might be for those without.

Wednesday, March 07, 2007 4:39 PM
  • I've had good luck manually modifying the .vdproj file to remove the broken sections.  http://blogs.catalystss.com/blogs/jonathan_rupp/archive/2007/07/23/150.aspx
    Monday, July 23, 2007 3:49 PM
  • I have a temp fix.

create a new setup file (as annoyig as it may be) but dont change the version on the setup file system.

it worked for me... Smile

Friday, August 03, 2007 10:55 AM
  • I had exactly the same error message. I closed Visual Studio, then opened it, clicked Referesh Dependencies on "Detected Dependencies" and after that everything works fine.

Victor
    www.freeimageconverter.com
    Saturday, August 11, 2007 11:44 PM
  • I had exactly the same problem, but after I closed Visual Studio, re-opened it and clicked "Refresh dependencies" on "Detected dependencies" folder everything start working again.

Victor
    www.freeimageconverter.com
    Sunday, August 12, 2007 9:27 PM
  •  

OK, I'm going through the typical hell I think many of you have...

I'm due to demo the project in the next couple of days and I'm getting the message,

"Error 1 Unable to update the dependencies of the project.  The dependencies for the object 'policy_8_0_microsoft_vc80_atl_x86.msm' cannot be determined. C:\CSA Web Setup\CSAWebSetup\CSAWebSetup.vdproj CSAWebSetup."

It worked last night at 4:00 PM, this morning it doesn't work...  The file 'policy_8_0_microsoft_vc80_atl_x86.msm'  is in the same place it was last nite...  I get an error message trying to refresh dependencies..."The operation could not be completed.  An exception occurred."   It's a large project, I don't want to have to re-create and start importing existing files and rebuilding it...  I don't want to hack the vdproj file...  Any help would be appreciated.

Wednesday, September 19, 2007 3:27 PM
  •  

OK, here's what I did to get my work back with no effort...

I make daily backups.  I simply copied my vdproj file over the old one (which I backed up just in case...), and it all worked fine.  Who knows what hamsters are getting into my files at night, but it worked...

I think it's a bug and M/S needs to fix it!

If any M/S guy wants a file from me, please let me know.  I will do what I can to support you fixing the product.

Wednesday, September 19, 2007 4:07 PM
  • This worked for me too. Saved me a lot of time and effort. Thanks

There is a known issue when the solution contains a database project, and the following work-around may help:

Tuesday, October 30, 2007 10:16 AM
  •  

How many years has this issue gone by now? Is it fixed in VS2008? Or are they ignoring us? I'm really curious if Microsoft will ever fix this issue.

I like the hacky workarounds and I intend to use them, but why doesn't the product work out of the box for gosh sakes?

Monday, December 10, 2007 10:28 PM
  • Hi,

There is an easy work around to resolve the issue, Please have a look at the link

Thursday, December 13, 2007 12:28 PM
  • Hi,

There is an easy work around to resolve the issue, Please have a look at the link

Thursday, December 13, 2007 12:29 PM
  • Hi,

Thursday, December 13, 2007 12:29 PM
  •  

OK, this is really getting annoying!  It's happening again.
    Friday, January 04, 2008 4:48 PM
  •  

I've downloaded the hotfix and installed it.  Still broken.

I've tried to refresh dependancies but get an error.

I have all the correct files in the correct folders.

Friday, January 04, 2008 4:57 PM
  • Brian,

if the Hotfix doesn't work for you, could you please log it at http://connect.microsoft.com/visualstudio/feedback

Thus, someone will be able to help you.

Thanks,

Kirill

Friday, January 11, 2008 3:36 AM
  • For those of you still suffering from this - I finally debugged this issue on my machine.

I have a native project paired with a C# .NET front-end GUI and a deployment project that I was using to deploy the two executables. The native C++ code is heavily dependent on several different DLL's.

Interestingly enough, in my app, version 1.0, we linked to a dll that wasn't detected by the deployment project. Naturally, I copied the DLL into my deployment project folder and added it manually so the deployed binary wouldn't complain about missing DLL's.  However, when running the app from visual studio, I also had to copy the DLL into the Release folder.

Some time later I rebuilt the dependency, and made binary version 1.1. I copied this DLL to the Release and Deployment folders. At that time, the deployment project "detected" the dependency and all hell broke loose. No fixes to be had until i just cleared the folders and started over. I tried the hotfix, but that did nothing. Took me a few iterations till I realized what was happening.

If you have a .dll manually added to your deployment project folder, or in a subdirectory of the release folder, or basically anywhere else in your immediate working paths, and that DLL becomes a "detected dependency", it seems to confuse the hell out of the "refresh dependencies" function, and throws exceptions, generally complains, works once but fails over time, etc...

To fix this version of the problem, just delete the superfluous copies of any DLL's or files from everywhere but your Debug/Release folder (where the auto-detect can get it). It should stop this issue from happening.

Hope that helps some of you.

Regards,

Wednesday, April 02, 2008 11:36 PM
  • I have this problem too in VS 2003, my project doesn't include any database or version changes.

When i build the setup solution, it failed with error message"Unable to update dependencies". Unlike others, it doesn't mention which file causes the problem at all( there's no dlls for my setup project ). I tried to manually refresh the dependence by right clicking the "dependency" node underneath the setup project and VS threw exception "Unable to update dependencies".

Generally speaking, I think it was a bug with the VS 2003 that the file entry still remain in .vdproj file even when the file itself has been pulled out from the project and is not appearing listed in the VS IDE.

The work around will be to find out which file is not used but still referenced in the .vdproj file, and delete that entry in the file section.
    This fixed my problem and hope it help you too.

Enni
    Monday, June 30, 2008 8:37 AM
  • Found in VS2010. 

• Opened .vdproj in notepad, in file section, at bottom of file, found file with '             "SourcePath" = "8:"'.  (.i.e. file with no name)
    • Deleted this file's section. 
    • Reloaded in VS 2010, setup project worked fine.

Switched from VS2005 to VS2010 a few days ago.  Hours prior to noticing this error, I

• Changed setup project's version field
    • Created a release
    • Tested release (yeah, works on System 7!  and now ClickOnce works again on another approach to release)
    • Checked in project files, found that the .vdproj was NOT added to the project, so VSS not the issue

I suggest the issue is the VS2005 -> VS2010 conversion or changing the version from 1.0.9042 -> 1.1.0000.

Thursday, April 29, 2010 2:22 PM
  • This bug has reappeared in Visual Studio 2010, and it has been reproduced by Microsoft:

https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/552799

Wednesday, May 12, 2010 8:59 AM
  • My project was converted from VS 2008 and as a native Win32 DLL project and 2 Setup projects for 32 and 64 bit Windows. The projects have been working for couple weeks untill this afternoon I tried to build (not rebuild) 64bit Setup project and it suddenly gave me this error message.

Any workaround without re-adding files?

Ray
    Wednesday, July 07, 2010 9:27 AM
  • Not sure if this is a solution, but it worked for me.

I'm using VS2010.  In my solution I have a VS2010 Setup and Deployment project (for win app).  My solution is under source control (TFS2010).

I was getting the following exception when compiling the Setup project: "Unable to update the dependencies of the project".  It didn't mention any specific DLL and this was the only error message.

I tried right-clicking on the "Detected Dependencies" folder and selecting refresh.  This generated a error message, something about a thread violation (sorry I didn't write down the error message).

To fix my problem, I did the following:

1. Checked out the Setup project (.vdproj)
    2. Changed the solution configuration from release to debug (I don't think that this matters)
    3. Closed all VS2010 instances
    4. Opened a new instance of VS2010 and opened my solution
    5. Right-Clicked "Detected Dependencies" and selected refresh.  It worked this time
    6. Changed the solution configuration from debug to release (I don't think that this matters)
    7. Compiled the solution and the Setup project. It worked, no errors.

I am guessing that maybe VS2010 isn't refreshing its memory when I checked out the .vdproj file, and that maybe it still thinks that it is read-only/checked-out.

Hope this helps someone else

Tuesday, August 03, 2010 11:55 PM
  • I saw the same things as Garry did above, but all I had to do was restart VS2010.  The errors then went away.
    Thursday, August 12, 2010 11:05 PM
  • I just encountered this when upgrading Visual Studio 2008 Deployment Projects to VS 2010. Hans' (above) solution worked for me.

1. Edit the .vdproj file in Notepad.
    2. Search for "SourcePath" = "8:
    3. For each assembly/dll, provide the full path
    4. Save file

Within my .vdproj file, I had several entries simply referencing the assembly:

"SourcePath" = "8:MyAssembly.DLL"

Even though Visual Studio [somehow] knew the file location, I received the "Unable to update the dependencies of the project" error until I provided the full path:

"SourcePath" = "8:..\\..\\..\\build\\bin\\MyCompany.MyAssembly.DLL"

Regards,

Jeff...

Thursday, August 26, 2010 5:51 PM
  • Also, to make it easier for people searching for the hotfix:

https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/Downloads/DownloadDetails.aspx?DownloadID=30681

This is the hotfix for Visual Studio 2010 on Windows 7.

Tuesday, October 05, 2010 12:27 PM
  • I converted a VS 2008 C# Win 7 project to VS 2010. No VSS, no database, but it did have some software protection code in it (see InishTech.com for more). The Setup and Deployment project conversion failed - 1 file failed to convert - but no details.

Tried to rebuild the setup project and got our favorite "Cannot update dependencies" error message. Also, the Application folder wouldn't open so I could see anything in it, and there were no file names in the error message.

Thanks to all who suggested editing the project file manually. Used WinMerge to compare the VS 2010 version to the VS 2008 one and where ever I found "IsDependency" different between them, forced the VS 2010 version to match the VS 2008 version.

Save the project file and re-open VS 2010: now all is the way it should be and builds work just fine - except that I have to refresh the dependencies every time I open the project.

Does anyone know what the hotfix listed above actually does and what it is for? I cannot find the actual KB article and one comment I found indicated that it would handle the dependency refresh problem, but it didn't for me.

Friday, October 08, 2010 2:06 PM
  • Me too - I just got this problem with a project I have been working on for a couple of months. Having found this thread, I removed the setup project and was just about to start another one from scratch, when I tried reloading it (File, Add, Existing Project) - and Hey! everythings back to normal. Dependencies all listed in the explorer window, no error messages, all ok. So just in case you've not tried that . . .

pg

pg - that works perfectly, thanks. I did exactly that - remove setup project and re-add it to the solution. Everything comes back and compiles first time.

This was extremely irritating and it's not the first time I've had to delete and re-write the setup project. Well done, thanks.

Simon Goldstone www.ActiveDataTools.com Data Cleansing, Correction and Management Software
    • Proposed as answer by Hetzi Thursday, February 03, 2011 1:05 PM
    Tuesday, October 26, 2010 7:20 PM
  • I had the same thing happening, building each project inside my solution all succeeded, but building the setup always failed for some reason.   I found out that the setup.exe was highlighted in windows explorer (because I'm moving this file on another machine)...  The build succeeds but the file cannot be replaced when selected by the user in Windows Explorer.  Hahaha as soon as I closed explorer, everything went well !
    Monday, December 13, 2010 7:29 PM
  • I migrated my VB.Net  project from 2008 to 2010.    About half the time when I am working in the project and click the Debug icon I get "Unable to update dependencies".    I can click BUILD and REBUILD and everything builds just fine but the Debug icon will continue to kick out the error message until I close and reopen the project.

It really does not seem to matter what I was doing to the code prior to trying to run Debug.  

So what the heck is going on.

Friday, December 17, 2010 8:43 PM
  • I did two things and now the problem has disappeared.

Like I'm using Visual Source Safe with my visual studio.
    I manually removed the read-only attributes for my whole project. And I relaunched VS as Administrator. I rebuilt All the project and that's it.

I Hope that helps you like me.

• Proposed as answer by mupmup Friday, February 04, 2011 10:12 AM
    Monday, December 20, 2010 6:46 PM
  • I have read only 1/3 of this thread and lots of other info on this topic and will continue reading it, but since it was started at 2006 and right now it is 2011 I assume the bug isn't fixed.

My setup project has primary output and content files of a web site. Whole solution builds fine. If I remove the content files from the web setup project, then it builds fine. I couldn't build the web setup project with content files not even once. The web site uses lots of other projects, assemblies and dlls. One thing that may be unique is that some assemblies that are used by the web site have their assemblyinfo.cs file generated, and they have a link to it instead of containing them directly in the solution. But when I view the properties of those projects, and then view the assembly info, then I see only the assembly name, all the other fields (including both version numbers) are blank. I can try to create a sample solution so you could reproduce this error.

When I try to build the web setup project I get following errors and warnings:

Warning 4 The target version of the .NET Framework in the project does not match the .NET Framework launch condition version '.NET Framework 3.5'. Update the version of the .NET Framework launch condition to match the target version of the.NET Framework in the Advanced Compile Options Dialog Box (VB) or the Application Page (C#, F#). 

Warning 2 The version of the .NET Framework launch condition '.NET Framework 3.5' does not match the selected .NET Framework bootstrapper package. Update the .NET Framework launch condition to match the version of the .NET Framework selected in the Prerequisites Dialog Box.

Error 3 Unable to build project output group 'Content Files from Web (Active)' 

Warning 1 Unable to find dependency 'ENVDTE' (Signature='B03F5F7F11D50A3A' Version='7.0.3300.0') of assembly 'VSLangProj.dll' 

Thursday, January 06, 2011 4:58 PM
  • I was getting the same error when I would try to build the setup project. Once I manually checked-out the setup file (.vdproj) which turned-off the readonly flag, the error disappeared. So probably when a setup project is build, it re-evaluates the dependencies and tries to update the setup file and on failure raise the mentioned exception.
    Irfan Ahmad
    Monday, February 14, 2011 9:56 AM
  • try doing a clean-all on the solution and then rebuilding the setup project
    • Proposed as answer by Premjeet Singh Tuesday, March 01, 2011 8:55 AM
    Tuesday, February 15, 2011 5:36 AM
  • Thanks a lot. It worked :)
    Tuesday, March 01, 2011 8:55 AM