How to Add Syntax Coloring in the Visual Studio 2010 Editor

General discussion

•  

Hi,

my name is Selma Ikiz and I am a PM for the New Code Editor in Visual Studio.

We have created a set of walkthroughs for the Visual Studio 10 release, please use these walkthroughs as a guide to familiarizing with this release. Given that this is the first release of Code Editor in Visual Studio, we are excited to hear your feedback. 

Walkthrough: How to Add Syntax Coloring in the Visual Studio 2010 Editor

You can add many different visual effects to the Visual Studio 2010 editor by creating Managed Extensions Framework (MEF) components. This walkthrough shows how to add syntax coloring. 

We hope you find the walkthroughs useful and you can use the Connect website to report bugs.

If you have not downloaded or would like more information about the CTP, please visit http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=129231.  

You can find the walkthroughs  on the VPC disk: C:\users\Public\documents\CTPWalkthroughs\Visual Studio.

Thanks!

Selma Ikiz

Code Editor PM

Sunday, October 26, 2008 10:41 PM

All replies

• I am so wondering:

Why shouldn't it be colored by default!?

What about font weight styling in some cases (local members for example)?

Shimmy
    Tuesday, March 03, 2009 11:32 PM
  • Hi Shimmy,

Apologies for the delayed response.  To answer your questions:  Visual Studio certainly has syntax coloring enabled for many languages by default.  The sample Selma posted about is meant to show how you can implement custom syntax coloring, whether for your own language service or to customize the text formatting beyond what's available through Tools-->Options-->Fonts and Colors.

I understand not wanting to install the CTP in March, as it was several months old at that point and required a large download.  However, I would encourage you to download the VS 2010 Beta when it is released very soon.  You should see significant improvements from the CTP in almost every aspect of Visual Studio 2010.  There will be feedback forums for the beta as well, and I hope you'll post again to share more feedback.

Thanks for posting,
    Brittany Behrens
    Program Manager, VS Platform
    http://blogs.msdn.com/vseditor
    Tuesday, May 19, 2009 12:11 AM
  • Thanks Brittany!
    Shimmy
    Tuesday, May 19, 2009 12:18 AM