none
Streaminsight event flow debugger Open button disabled

Question

• I am on windows xp. I am part of the admin group and also part of the StreamInsightUsers$Default

When i launch eventflow debugger ,the open button is disabled. This means i cant open the trace files. It works on my windows 7 laptop though. Pity is i need this to work on my work desktop which is still XP :-( and banks are very late when it comes to upgrading softwares !!

• Edited by vijay_g Friday, October 18, 2013 5:32 AM
    Friday, October 18, 2013 5:32 AM

Answers

All replies

• You need to add the user who will be using the tool to the Performance Log Users group.

You mentioned that you are on XP, in MSDN it mentions the following on enabling event recording: "To enable event recording in the StreamInsight Event Flow Debugger on Windows Vista and higher, add the current user to the Performance Log Users group."

Friday, October 18, 2013 1:01 PM
  • See this thread: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sqlserver/en-US/16819d95-0777-4031-aeaa-31a29ce6992b/streaminsight-development-on-windows-xp?forum=streaminsight.

And why on earth are you using Windows XP? You do understand that Microsoft will no longer support XP as of the end of this year, right?

DevBiker (aka J Sawyer)
    Microsoft MVP - Sql Server (StreamInsight)

Ruminations of J.net

If I answered your question, please mark as answer.
    If my post was helpful, please mark as helpful.

• Marked as answer by vijay_g Tuesday, October 22, 2013 10:09 AM
    Friday, October 18, 2013 5:03 PM
  • Unfortunately our bank is still in the process of upgrading to Windows 7.

Note that you can use the Event Flow Debugger on Windows XP/2003 to inspect diagnostic views after connecting to a StreamInsight server and to display the query plan.

From that thread i take it that event flow debugger open trace file wouldn't work on Xp. It only supports connecting to server.

• Edited by vijay_g Tuesday, October 22, 2013 10:09 AM
    Tuesday, October 22, 2013 10:02 AM
  • That is what it would appear, yes.

My guess ... and this is a hypothesis at best ... is that there is certain ETW functionality that is needed to open trace files that isn't supported on Windows XP - and the trace files are created with ETW. And there is no way that this is ever going to be added.

DevBiker (aka J Sawyer)
    Microsoft MVP - Sql Server (StreamInsight)

Ruminations of J.net

If I answered your question, please mark as answer.
    If my post was helpful, please mark as helpful.

Tuesday, October 22, 2013 11:12 AM