none
Pfx Import Error :An internal error occurred. This can be either the user profile is not accessible or the private key that you are importing might require a cryptographic service provider that is not installed on your system.

Question

• Hello All,

I am facing very different error when i tried to import a PFX in one of my client machine.

"An internal error occurred. This can be either the user profile is not accessible or the private key that you are importing might require a cryptographic service provider that is not installed on your system."

This provblem happens only in 4 Windows XP SP2 machines.

I found some solutions for this problem which are not working now.

I have set proper permissions for the user for DriveLetter:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Crypto\RSA\MachineKeys  folder as mentioned in the microsoft site.

But still the problem exists. Then I looked into the registry keys for the machine.   H_KEY_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\CRYPTO\DEFAULTS\PROVIDERS. This also has all the necessery provider listed (Including RSA which was used to create the PFX).

After analysing possible solutions, I came to a conclusion that the problem is with the machine only (Becoz the same user is able to import the pfx in different machine.). So there may be some cryptographic patches which has to be installed in Windows XP SP2 machine in order to support the PFX import.   But I don't  know the exact update that needs to be installed in the particular machine.

Also We are not able to create a PFX in above said machine.

Any help is highly appreciated ....

Friday, July 09, 2010 5:30 AM