none
Microsoft Office Document Image Writer driver

Question

• Hi,

I'm having the following problem with my installation of Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003 on my Windows XP Professional operating system.  I am trying to send a fax using my internet fax service, so I am in Microsoft Word, and click on File/Send to/Recipient Using Internet Fax Service..." and I get the following error message:

"The Microsoft Office Document Image Writer driver cannot be detected.  To use the Internet fax service, run the Office Setup Program to remove the driver, and then run the Office Setup Program to add the driver back."

In short, I did that and it didn't work.  It still gives me the same message.  Can anybody help me please?  Thanks.

Rich
    Friday, July 27, 2007 11:37 PM

All replies

• hello Rich ,

try the following  and let me know

1.   Close all open applications.
          If Office applications are running, the Image Writer driver will not be properly installed.

2.  Open the Control Panel and run Add or Remove Programs.

3.  Click "Microsoft Office 2003" (or "Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003"), and then click Change.

4.  Select the "Add or Remove Features" radio button and click Next.

5.  Mark the "Choose advanced customization of applications" checkbox and click Next.

6.  Under Microsoft Office, click the plus sign (+) in front of "Office Tools."

7.  Locate the object "Microsoft Office Document Imaging."
         Click the icon and select "Not Available".

8.  Click Update. This removes the MODI driver.

9.  Repeat Steps 2 through 6.

10.  Locate the object "Microsoft Office Document Imaging."
          Click the icon and select "Run from My Computer".

11.  Click Update. This reinstalls the MODI driver.

Wednesday, August 01, 2007 10:52 PM
  •  

THANK YOU!  You saved me about 2 hours worth of work uninstalling and re-installing software!

Thank God you were here and that this page was spidered.

Smile

Thursday, September 06, 2007 6:05 PM
  •  

Hi,

When I first saw the MS Office Document Image Writer in the printers box,  I did'nt know what it was for.  When I started downloading crosswords, etc., for my mom, I found it was helpful to print to the MS Writer for the OCR, and then copy and paste to MS Word.  Then it went away, and I couldn't get it back until I found your article, which took a week or so.  Thankyou so much.

Respectfully,

Joe Indian

Tuesday, September 18, 2007 9:12 PM
  • I'm encountering this issue with Office 2007 and running on Vista. I tried the suggestions from the error which are the same ones in this tread, but it did not work. I'm still receiving the same error "The Microsoft Office Document Image Writer driver cannot be detected.  To use the Internet fax service, run the Office Setup Program to remove the driver, and then run the Office Setup Program to add the driver back". Does somebody has an answer for this problem? 
    Thursday, February 19, 2009 4:01 PM
  • I am experiencing the same problem.  I recently upgraded my version of Microsoft Office to Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2007.  Prior to my upgrade, I was able to successfully utilize my MyFax.com account through Microsoft Office Applications.  Now that I have upgraded to Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2007, each time I attempt to send a fax via Microsoft Outlook or Word, I receive the following error message--"The Microsoft Office Document Image Writer driver cannot be detected.  To use the Internet fax service, run the Office Setup Program to remove the driver, and then run the Office Setup Program to add the driver back." 

I have completed this action several times with no success.  I also found information online in regards to adding the Microsoft Office Document Image Writer via the add printer feature; still no success.

I contacted MyFax.com directly and they are suggesting that I contact Microsoft for assistance.  I searched through Microsoft's Knowledge Databases with no success.  My only alternative at this point is to contact Microsoft Office directly at a substantial cost. 

At this point I am uncertain if I should switch from MyFax.com to another service provider or just give up.  Have you had any success in obtaining a workable solution?  I too am utilizing Microsoft Vista operating success.  Any helpy is greatly appreciated. 
    Saturday, April 04, 2009 2:18 PM
  • I have completed this steps outlined several times with no success. I am currently running Microsoft Office Professional 2007 and Microsoft Office Vista.  I recently upgraded Microsoft Office from an earlier version.  Prior to the upgrade installation, my MyFax.com account successfully integrated into Microsoft Office applications with ease.  However, after installing Microsoft Office 2007, each time I attempt to send a fax, I receive the following error message"

"The Microsoft Office Document Image Writer driver cannot be detected.  To use the Internet fax service, run the Office Setup Program to remove the driver, and then run the Office Setup Program to add the driver back."

I have also uninstalled and reinstalled the Office application software.  I am currently running Microsoft Vista.  Any other suggestions is greatly appreciated.  thanks.

Saturday, April 04, 2009 2:25 PM
  • I have completed this steps outlined several times with no success. I am currently running Microsoft Office Professional 2007 and Microsoft Office Vista.  I recently upgraded Microsoft Office from an earlier version.  Prior to the upgrade installation, my MyFax.com account successfully integrated into Microsoft Office applications with ease.  However, after installing Microsoft Office 2007, each time I attempt to send a fax, I receive the following error message"

I have also uninstalled and reinstalled the Office application software.  I am currently running Microsoft Vista.  Any other suggestions is greatly appreciated.  thanks.

Same problem running Microsoft Office 2003 Pro on a Windows 7 Pro machine (have also tried uninstalling and reinstalling the Microsoft Office Document Image Writer driver from the Office installation CD numerous times, even while rebooting in between although the instructions don't require it). Originally had the problem last week on a Windows XP Home machine upgraded to Windows XP Pro. Searched for hours, back then, for a solution, but to no avail, which is why I bought the new machine.

I'm a new MyFax.com customer.

Before buying the Windows 7 machine, I wiped the XP machine with the factory disk to start over, installed Office 2003 Pro, and actually got MyFax.com's stuff to work via Outlook's File->New->Internet Fax menu item; however, my upgrade from XP Home to XP Pro blew out my 85-key laptop keyboard driver and replaced it with a "Standard" 104/105-key PS2 driver that was not compatible with the laptop. After several hours trying to solve THAT problem (starting with the laptop manufacturer's website), again to no avail, I gave up and bought the new system.

Anyway, paid $99 for e-mail support from Microsoft, which I'm currently waiting on.

Update: MS called me for more details. Nice guy. They're working on it.

May be related:

(1) On the old machine--Office 2003 Pro was installed and uninstalled, a year or two ago, for unrelated reasons. When I wiped the machine last week and got Internet Fax to work prior to the keyboard issue, Office 2003 Pro was installed only once.

(2) On the new machine--Office 2003 Pro was installed, but then uninstalled when a mapi32.dll (iirc) conflict/error with a trial version of Office 2007 Pro (came installed with the new system, but I didn't notice at first) occurred immediately upon opening Outlook 2003. I then uninstalled the Office 2007 trial, uninstalled Office 2003 Pro, and reinstalled Office 2003 Pro, but now have the error that is the topic of this thread.

In other words, and in light of the Office upgrade mentioned by unchanged_gemini above, I'm wondering if the problem is arising from registry conflicts with previous installations of Office, whether upgrades or not.
    Wednesday, December 16, 2009 3:20 PM
  • The easiest way to solve your problem is to download this printer driver from Popfax.com site and you will be able to send fax es directly from Microsoft Word, regards!
    Wednesday, February 10, 2010 4:23 PM