none
SQL connection problem

Question

• I am getting the error in connection string in my VB application. Early same connection string working fine with same application . After the power down it is happened. Please give me tips to sort out this issue. I am using Sql2000

Error 1020 : Can't open ADO recordset
     [ Extended Info :Can't open ADO connection -2147467259 [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Data source name not found and no default driver specified Source:Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers]

AK

Thursday, November 07, 2013 3:51 AM

Answers

• hello if you have used the sql server evaluation for your business then that is an trial version only as it can expire after 120 or 180 days, so since you are using the sql server  2000 also it is an shadow & you will not get support from Vendor(MS) hence upgrade to higher version with latest SP

note -there differnt editons are available you need to choose as per your business needs & application prospective.

Thanks, Rama Udaya.K (http://rama38udaya.wordpress.com) ---------------------------------------- Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and UN-mark them if they provide no help,Vote if they gives you information.

Saturday, November 09, 2013 10:12 AM
  • SQL server evaluation period has expired 

See your other post: SQL service not running

When the evaluation period has expired, the SQL Server stopps working; you can't start it any long, you have to uninstall it or to purchase a valid license.

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Saturday, November 09, 2013 1:03 PM

All replies

• Can you connect SQL Server via SQL Server Enterprise Manager ?

Saeid Hasani, sqldevelop.wordpress.com

Download Books Online for SQL Server 2012

Thursday, November 07, 2013 5:13 AM
  • I am getting the error in connection string in my VB application.

And how does your connection string look like, can you post it here?

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Thursday, November 07, 2013 5:47 AM
  • No. I try to connect via Qurery Analyzer 2000.

Its showing server not found.

I will tell you what happened 

The sqlserver pc and shutdown because of power failed. So system started after that I am getting this issue.

Samething is happened before 2 month also with evaluation period expired. So I install sql 2008 r2 again and created new instance and my manger start some service(i have that screen shot) and working fine. So this time I never installed the new instance and just make all service status same way how it woking early based up on the screenshot without creating new installation for new instance. So now I could able to connect my application. And also one service showing error 

Now problem is one service with name as SQLserver(IT2008R2APR2013) I canot start,I am getting error message as request field or service didnot responds timely fashion. Consult the event log or other application error logs for details.

AK

Thursday, November 07, 2013 6:28 AM
  • Consult the event log or other application error logs for details.

Then have a look in Windows EventLog and SQL Server ErrorLog to get more informations about the issue, as the error message already suggest.

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Thursday, November 07, 2013 7:27 AM
  • First check that the SQL service is up.

then try to use SSMS if installed.

let's make sure the problem is not with SQL Server  before we go the App...

Then check if this help you:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306345

[Personal Site] [Blog] [Facebook]signature

Thursday, November 07, 2013 7:34 AM
  • I just try to start the serveragent instance in service under administrative tool. But I am getting error message as 

Could not start the SQL Server Agent(IT2008R2APR2013) service on local Computer.

Error 1068: The Dependency service or group failed to start.

AK

Thursday, November 07, 2013 7:59 AM
  • I just try to start the serveragent instance in service under administrative tool. But I am getting error message as 

Could not start the SQL Server Agent(IT2008R2APR2013) service on local Computer.

Error 1068: The Dependency service or group failed to start.

AK

Thursday, November 07, 2013 7:59 AM
  • You don't need the SQL Server Agent for now (This is for the scheduled tasks like backups), and if you are using SQL Express then you can't start it, as SQL Express do not support the Agent.

Make sure that the "SQL Server" service is working. It should look like this small image:

* You might have more then one like in this image.

Do you use SQL Express?

Thursday, November 07, 2013 8:07 AM
  • verify first your SQL database service is running fine & login with administrator then try from the

SQL server configration Manager.

Also is this sql server cluster? if so you need to check what dependency that as on it & ensure that started as well then try it.

Also you should be part of the administrator group & added SA on the sql server levl

Thanks, Rama Udaya.K (http://rama38udaya.wordpress.com) ---------------------------------------- Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and UN-mark them if they provide no help,Vote if they gives you information.

Thursday, November 07, 2013 8:12 AM
  • Also your sql server services running through the domain accounts or local accounts.

alsosee-http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307288/en-us

Thursday, November 07, 2013 8:33 AM
  • I will tell you about my application. 

My application is OLAP application. So night some jobs are running and it will insert some records with some calculation in some tables. So the calculated records will get in vb6 of application interface.

So serveragent is required .

AK

Thursday, November 07, 2013 8:46 AM
  • True :-)

But as i understand from you the Agent is required for running the job... your app do not connect to the Agent itself (or do it? do you use your app to build/change scheduled tasks in the Agent?). So let's deal one thing at a time. First we need to make sure that the database service is well working. for this we don't need the Agent.

can you work with the database service when the Agent service is off?

* try check the Database service -> try connecting with SSMS -> try using your app

Next step we are going to deal with the Agent....

* Make sure the account of both the MSSQLSERVER and SQLServerAgent is Local System account.

Thursday, November 07, 2013 9:04 AM
  • SQL Server Agent (IT2008R2APR2013)  is not running.

AK

Thursday, November 07, 2013 9:06 AM
  • that means. 

AK

• Proposed as answer by jerofad Thursday, November 07, 2013 9:15 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by jerofad Thursday, November 07, 2013 9:15 AM
    Thursday, November 07, 2013 9:07 AM
  • Hello

verify that the server name of your database engine is the same on your connection string in Visual Basic. or better still, verify that you engine is working properly and try again. visit http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/cc429983-84dd-4da1-8a20-294e5a071cfc/sql-connectivity-problem?forum=sqldatabaseengine

Thursday, November 07, 2013 9:23 AM
  • server name of running application is IT2008R2APR2013

Now (after powe shutdown system restarted ,so this instance is not running . It showing as stoped state in sql confg manger of service list).

But I want to make it start . But I can't. Once the service instance name as  IT2008R2APR2013 wil start then no issue. All other instance means one more I creates with name as IT2008R2NOV2013

and also some exsting IT2008R2SEP2013 are working fine with status as running.

Please  let me know how to make start  without raising an error while it progassing.

AK

Thursday, November 07, 2013 9:33 AM
  • I can see the Event Viewer

ERROR    MSSQL$IT2008R2APR2013  with red color icon. How to fix it

AK

Thursday, November 07, 2013 9:44 AM
  • I can see the Event Viewer

ERROR    MSSQL$IT2008R2APR2013  with red color icon. How to fix it

AK

what is that errormessage you are getting,also see complete eventlogs  --let us know.

Thursday, November 07, 2013 10:37 AM

this is showing in event viewer of application.

AK

Saturday, November 09, 2013 9:33 AM
  • Yep... that is something no one guess :-)

LOL
    This why we need the real error massage people get...

* Checkout EXPRESS version. it might be good enough for you, and meets the needs

• hello if you have used the sql server evaluation for your business then that is an trial version only as it can expire after 120 or 180 days, so since you are using the sql server  2000 also it is an shadow & you will not get support from Vendor(MS) hence upgrade to higher version with latest SP

note -there differnt editons are available you need to choose as per your business needs & application prospective.

this is showing in event viewer of application.

AK

Saturday, November 09, 2013 10:22 AM
  • I am getting the following error in application

Error 1020 : Can't open ADO recordset
     [ Extended Info :Can't open ADO connection -2147467259 [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Data source name not found and no default driver specified Source:Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers]

AK

Saturday, November 09, 2013 11:47 AM

See your other post: SQL service not running

When the evaluation period has expired, the SQL Server stopps working; you can't start it any long, you have to uninstall it or to purchase a valid license.

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Saturday, November 09, 2013 1:03 PM