none
is there a way to kill a macro?

Question

• I have a proprietary add in that I use frequently to communicate with different instruments and gather data in excel.  however I cannot view the code to fully understand it, it is locked.  I do know that in order to interrupt a single command from the macro, I must hit 'q' and then it will stop that ONE task, and move to the next, I cannot use 'ctrl+break' to stop the process.  is there any way I can kill this macro without closing excel?  thanks!
    Wednesday, June 10, 2009 5:16 PM

All replies

• Here is what I found on
    Microsoft Office Online

Do one of the following:

"The new phonebooks are here!"
    Wednesday, June 10, 2009 8:19 PM
  • I did a quick test and CTRL+BREAK worked for me if done within the VBE, even if the project was locked. Once in Break mode suznal's suggestion of using the End/Reset button should work.

You might also consider contacting the author of the addin and requesting the ability to interupt all tasks.

Cheers www.andypope.info
    Thursday, June 11, 2009 8:14 AM
  • thanks for your input, but sometimes the macro doesnt respond to the CTRL+BREAK command, and hitting ESC has never worked for me before.  I will contact the author about it.  however I was wondering if there is a way to create another kill macro, that would always run, and say if i hit a certain combination of keys have it kill all other macros, i just dont think it is possible to run more than one macro at a time.  any ideas?
    Thursday, June 11, 2009 3:44 PM