Web test on the remote machine

Question

• Hi,

I would like to test  asp.net application on remote machine, I want to see
       performence counters ( Memory, CPU .. ) of remote machine. I set up 
       this counters for this, but when I run test ( from scenario ) I see only
       performence counters of local machine. How can I setup this.

Mark
    Friday, June 17, 2005 9:38 PM

Answers

• You can configure the load test to collect the performance counters on the remote machines by adding mappings in the load test. 

1) Add the performance counter sets to the load test which you would like to collect data for.
    2) Right click on the counter set and choose something like "Add computer to collect counters on"
    3) Enter the computer that you want to collect the data for.
    4) Run the test

Under the Machines node in the execution UI, you should see the machine that you added to the load test with the counters for the counter set you added.

If you do not see the machine or counters, there should be an error logged to the error tab of the execution UI.  One thing to check is to make sure the user that is collecting perf counters from a remote machine has permission to collect counters from that machine.  If you are running the test locally, then the user that is running the test needs the permission.  If you are  running the test on a controller, then the user that the controller service is running as needs to have permission.

Sean
    Wednesday, June 22, 2005 2:18 PM

All replies

• You can configure the load test to collect the performance counters on the remote machines by adding mappings in the load test. 

1) Add the performance counter sets to the load test which you would like to collect data for.
    2) Right click on the counter set and choose something like "Add computer to collect counters on"
    3) Enter the computer that you want to collect the data for.
    4) Run the test

Under the Machines node in the execution UI, you should see the machine that you added to the load test with the counters for the counter set you added.

If you do not see the machine or counters, there should be an error logged to the error tab of the execution UI.  One thing to check is to make sure the user that is collecting perf counters from a remote machine has permission to collect counters from that machine.  If you are running the test locally, then the user that is running the test needs the permission.  If you are  running the test on a controller, then the user that the controller service is running as needs to have permission.

Sean
    Wednesday, June 22, 2005 2:18 PM
  • Hi Slumley,

I too have the same question posted here. I am following the same exact steps listed here but still an not able to get the performance counters on the remote computer. I am able to get the counters for the local machine on which I am running the test, which is of no use to me.

I also checked that the administrative rights on the remote system is set to allow performance counter information. Also, there is no error generated in the error log either.

Is there any other settings that need to be made? Please suggest.

Thanks,
    SP
    Tuesday, December 06, 2005 9:43 PM
  • found it out. Thanks!
    Thursday, December 08, 2005 4:16 PM
  • Iam facing problem  unable to see the remote machine.
    I see my local machine.
    Iam doing load testing on VSTS RTM version.
    I presume i have given all permission for the user another machine .

What kind of permission to be given?Where can i check for the permission?

What would be the other reason for not seeing another machine i.e server?

Please help !

RKN

Monday, December 12, 2005 7:54 AM
  • I want to make sure I understand your setup.   You have a counter set mapped to a remote machine, but you are unable to collect counters?  Do you have any errors in the load test monitor error grid?

If the user running the test is not an admin or a power user on the remote machine, then you need to add that user to the "Performance Monitor Users" group.

Monday, December 12, 2005 1:17 PM
  • Hi
    Thanks for promt reply.
    I have web application running on another machine(server) and i want to do loading testing of it on my machine.

For counter set i added the machine name to it for collecting the counters.

Yes i get error as this "The performance counter category 'Memory' cannot be accessed on computer 'system name' (The network path was not found) ; check that the category and computer names are correct.

when the virtual users are added, does the load testing result generates those users and external access to the site?

Tuesday, December 13, 2005 4:26 AM
  • As I am not know much about this.Could please let me know in details.I have copied the code below for CPU, Memeory Utilisation on Remote m/c.Code is workinh fine for the Local m/c but I have get the Remote Server data.

Public Function getRemoteData()
         Try 

' Get the CPU Utlisation from Remote server(DSCP04437)

ramCounter = New System.Diagnostics.PerformanceCounter("Processor", "% Processor Time", "_Total")
       cpuCounter.ReadOnly = False
      cpuCounter.MachineName = "DSCP04437"

Dim strdata as string = cpuCounter.NextValue() & "%"

' Get the Memory Utlisation from Remote server(DSCP04437)
     ramCounter = New System.Diagnostics.PerformanceCounter("Memory", "Available MBytes")
     ramCounter.MachineName = "DSCP04437"
     ramCounter.ReadOnly = False     

Dim strdataMemory as string = ramCounter.NextValue() & "MB"

Catch e As Exception
             Msgbox e.ToString()   
         End Try
      End Function

My Queries

-  On Remote m/c do we need to make any changes ?

- Do we need to do any configureation /Setting ?

- Please let me know the procedure(load test) which mentioned above?

- What it meant of load test ?

Thanks in Advance,

Mandar Y.

Tuesday, November 20, 2007 1:54 PM