none
Powerpoint Master Slide animation

Question

• Using the Popwerpoint Interop Dll, I can get the information about the Master Slide and any animation that are specified in master slide.
    Anyslide in that presentation may inherit these animation if it continues using the same template, but it can also ignore these animations and have something of its own.
    While accessing .ppt files using Interop dll, I am not able to figure out if a specific slide has inherited those animations from master slide or not.
    In my slide if I iterate over the shapes I don't get any information as to do I have to use the animations from the time line or need to use the animations from the master slide.

Is there any property that I should look for?
    Cheers, Saurabh
    Sunday, August 30, 2009 2:21 PM

Answers

• Hi Saurabh,

Sorry for a delayed response. I was waiting for a confirmation. Here are my findings:

(1) The paragraph level effects are not exposed in the shape.AnimationSettings

(2) You must use the Timline object of the master slide and the normal slide to get the effects

(3) Whether or not the 'copy effects to slide' has been applied on a normal slide is not exposed in the object model

Let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,
    Avinash.

Monday, October 05, 2009 7:56 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for contacting Innovate on Office Forum. We have started working on this issue and will get back to you in two days from now.

Regards,
    Avinash.

Tuesday, September 01, 2009 4:44 PM
  • Hi Saurabh,

To get animation settings of shapes that are present in a master slide:

this.Application.ActivePresentation.SlideMaster.Shapes[y].AnimationSettings

To get animation settings of shapes that are present in a normal slide:

this.Application.ActivePresentation.Slides[x].Shapes[y].AnimationSettings

where x and y are slide number and shape number respectevely.

The Shapes that belong to the master slide would only be present in the SlideMaster object and not the normal slide object. However, if you have a Shape object and would like to find out if it were from a master slide, use the Shape.Parent property.

Regards,
    Avinash.

Thursday, September 03, 2009 5:36 AM
  • Hi Avinash,

Thanks for your reply.

I don't have any problem with shapes. I have problem with the effects applied on those shapes.

Suppose, I have added 'appear' effect in my slideMaster for level-1 paragraph.

Case1: In my actual slide , it shows 'master:body' in custom-animation panel.If we play the slide then 'appear' effect gets applied appropriately on the paragraphs present on this slide though the effect is actually not part of timeline of this slide. If you have some other effect ( say 'crowl' ) explicitly added to this slide, then it gets played after all the appropriate effects derived from masterSlide.

Case2: You can "copy effects to the slide" by right clicking on the 'master:body' node. Then those effects become part of the timeline of this slide. Now you can change them , delete them , change order etc.

And at runtime, they get played as per the changes done by you ...and NOT as per what masterSlide says.

I am not able to handle this case2 as I am not able to figure out if "copy effects to the slide" has already happened or not. And hence I am by default first considering the effects given by slideMaster and then the effects from the timeline of the slide. This is resulting in to duplication of effects and/or incorrect sequence of effects.

Could you please help me on handling case2 given above?

For a given slide , how can I find out whether 'copy effects to slide'

has already taken place or not?

Is this information available on slide-level ? where ? OR at

effect-level? where?

Cheers, Saurabh
    Thursday, September 03, 2009 6:19 AM
  • Hi Avinash,
    I am desperately looking for some pointers for this one.

And I am really clueless for solving this problem.
    Your help will be really really appreciated on this one.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers, Saurabh
    Monday, September 07, 2009 6:29 AM
  • Hi Saurabh,

There are two possibilities when you add a shape to the master slide:

(1) If it is a non-editable shape (it cant be edited in the normal slide) then a copy of the shape is maintained only in the master slide and you will not find this shape in Slide.Shapes of the normal slide (as explained in my previous post) - this makes sense - why make duplicate copies?

(2) If it is a editable shape (like all the placeholders for body, title ...) then a copy of the shape is maintained in each of the normal slides that refer to the master slide - this makes sense because each slide will have its own customization of the shape

Your example falls into category (2), which means that a copy of the "body" shape will exist in each and every slide that refer to the master slide. So, whether or not "copy effects to slide" is clicked, the animation settings will be present in the shape in the normal slide. The only advantage of clicking the "copy effects to slide" is that these animation settings become editable through the GUI.

Regards,
    Avinash.

Thursday, September 10, 2009 2:47 AM
  •  

Hi Avinash,

Thanks for these details.

I spent some time on 'shape.AnimationSettings'.

If a shape has multiple paragraphs and if each paragraph can have a different type of animation, then at least I could not find all that information by using 'shape.AnimationSettings'.

It does not give animation/effect info for each paragraph.

( on the other hand, when we get effect-info from time-line, it gives us all needed details. )

Could you please throw some light on 'how to get animation info associated with each paragraph of a given shape using shape.AnimationSettings ' ?

Cheers, Saurabh
    Tuesday, September 15, 2009 7:21 AM
  • Hi Saurabh,

Sorry for the delay. As of now I have not found a way to find animation sequences that are part of editable shapes (except the first animation effect) that have been derived from the master slide. I have started colloboration with other teams on this case and will give a confirmed answer within this week.

Thanks,
    Avinash.
    Tuesday, September 22, 2009 3:42 AM
  • Hi Saurabh,

Sorry for a delayed response. I was waiting for a confirmation. Here are my findings:

(1) The paragraph level effects are not exposed in the shape.AnimationSettings

(2) You must use the Timline object of the master slide and the normal slide to get the effects

(3) Whether or not the 'copy effects to slide' has been applied on a normal slide is not exposed in the object model

Regards,
    Avinash.

Monday, October 05, 2009 7:56 PM